Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2004 JCB 214 Backhoe Transmission issues

Ktricky · 2023-07-16 13:12

Hi - I’m stumped. I have a 2004 JCB 214 backhoe with a shuttle shift. The backhoe runs great however after 10 minutes, the shuttle stops working and I lose forward and reverse. If I let it sit for a while it then works fine again. I know these units have solenoids for forward and reverse but I’m not sure why it would work fine then stop. No funny noises, it runs great. Transmission fluid level is fine. I had it at a JCB dealer for a few weeks and currently have it at another heavy equipment mechanic. They’re both stumped. The JCB dealer wasn’t very familiar with these units. Any ideas?

Replies24
  1. #1Dave Neubert2023-07-16 16:10

    sounds like a weak pump you need to run pressures cold and hot and see if you lose pressure

  2. #2Ktricky2023-07-16 20:59

    Thanks. I’ll give that a shot.

  3. #3woodfirst2023-07-16 22:06

    Check your relays when it happens again and move them around to see if the symptoms change. I had the same symptoms and traced it to bad relays that would stop working when they heat up with age

  4. #4Ktricky2023-07-24 22:33

    That was it. Thanks!

  5. #5Ktricky2023-08-15 01:41

    I replaced the pump and it still loses pressure when hot. Any other suggestions?

  6. #6JCBbyron2023-08-18 17:31

    I've got a 214 as well but mine doesn't have reverse it will move maybe 20 to 30 feet and then stops but it goes forward with no problem any suggestions I've check all the wiring and everything is good

  7. #7Ktricky2023-08-18 18:32

    Have you checked the solenoid?

  8. #8JCBbyron2023-08-18 19:06

    Yes it appears to be working was thinking of ordering 1

  9. #9kapisa2023-09-09 06:14

    i have the same issue any luck with the forward reverse

  10. #10kapisa2023-09-09 06:15

    slp 214 fcyu 0900315 no forward & reverse.

  11. #11partsdic2023-09-09 07:51

    Transmission Fluid Temperature : It's possible that the transmission fluid is overheating after running for a while, causing a loss of hydraulic pressure and, consequently, the shuttle to stop working. Ensure the cooling system for the transmission is functioning correctly. Solenoid or Valve : Solenoids and control valves can sometimes become intermittent when they heat up. It's possible that one of these components is failing when it gets hot, causing the loss of shuttle function. Electrical Issue : Check the electrical connections and wiring related to the shuttle solenoids. Loose or damaged connections can cause intermittent problems. Hydraulic Pressure : The shuttle function relies on hydraulic pressure. Ensure the hydraulic system is maintaining the required pressure consistently. Transmission Filter : A clogged or dirty transmission filter can lead to restricted fluid flow and cause similar symptoms. Ensure the filter is clean and in good condition.

  12. #12Ktricky2023-09-09 09:42

    Thank you. Mine is still not working. I’ll go through this list.

  13. #13Ktricky2023-09-17 11:36

    Finally figured it out. It was a clogged transmission screen. Dealer just performed a transmission service but they clearly missed this.

  14. #14kapisa2023-09-17 14:55

    where is the transmission screen located do u have pics [email protected]

  15. #15Ktricky2023-09-17 15:32

    My mechanic told me this after he fixed it. Sorry no pictures.

  16. #16csthompson122023-09-17 16:06

    Wonder what it was clogged with? Mine wasn’t clogged yet, but did have friction plate material in it. Hard to believe they would miss it, because on mine the screen is also where you drain the fluid to change it.

  17. #17kapisa2023-09-18 08:19

    Can anyone post a pic of the location of the screen also is there a part number to replace?

  18. #18skata2023-09-18 09:37

    If it's like other jcb transmission, it looks like this. Two bolts holding it on, at bottom of transmission. You'll just see the plate from the outside.

  19. #19kapisa2023-09-18 10:06

    Thanks can it be cleaned reused or u recommend a replacement

  20. #20skata2023-09-18 14:27

    Yes it can be cleaned. Does your trans not engage at all? I'd check electrical issues first. Make sure the clutch pedal or parking brake switch aren't stuck. Then check relays.

  21. #21kapisa2023-09-18 21:02

    I work at JCB North America but they do not but backhoes the engine started up and it just slowed down, the reverse alarm stopped. then it stopped going forward or backwards. i am checking all possibilty on it. before i start to do repairs... i have only been working with jcb for 1 year.. so i am learing 6

  22. #22kapisa2023-09-19 04:34

    Will check the parking break for that sensor

  23. #23skata2023-09-19 12:02

    Definitely sounds more like an electrical issue.

  24. #24kapisa2023-09-19 12:20

    I shipped the machine out of country on a project so I am getting all the parts and looking at all possibilities so when I get there I can have it working