I thought I could save some money and time by rebuilding the swing cylinder in my Case 580K. I ordered two kits, was able to get the seals on correctly, but when I tried to put the ram back in the cylinder I ripped the seal in the pic below. I put the second one on and tried it again, and ended up bending that one before I ripped it. Still couldn't get it on correctly. So two questions. What is the secret of sliding that one in the cylinder without ripping it, and can I get just that seal or do I have to order another $40 dollar rebuild kit just to get that one seal? I really thought this was pretty straight forward. But the rubber o-ring underneath pushes the seal up and I can't seem to succeed in installing without damage. Thanks for any help. Jim
Put the seal on and put a hose clamp around the seal and squeeze it down. Leave it that way for a few minutes then take the clamp off. Works for me everytime
That's the way I did mine on a 580C. Worked very well but the only thing I did different was I wrapped electrical tape around the seal before clamping it.
Regular ol’e engine piston ring installer works sometimes.
Thanks guys. I will try the hose clamp trick tomorrow. Jim
I have also had luck putting them in hot water prior to installing. I have been told that this causes them to want to shrink back once the clamp is installed as described above.
stone the edge (should have small taper) in cylinder. You may be fighting a rolled or burred edge.
It is quite easy to damage piston seals when pushing them in the cylinder. Usually it is because the piston is allowed to drag over the barrel threads while it is going in. I have cut pieces out of a plastic milk jugs and made them to fit over the threads. It has to be cut so edges don't overlap and reduce the diameter. Better yet is to to stand and support the cylinder vertically and then insert the piston and rod assembly. Be very careful if you do any filing or stoning the barrel edge. Damaging the starting edge of the threads is something to avoid.
So is there any place to get that particular seal, or do I have to order the kit? Thanks. Jim
A local hydraulic shop could match one up, if there is a local hydraulic shop.