Trying to find someone to cover my small excavator for trailering and while its off my property. Im not in the business, and dont make money with it. But the reality is it may go to my brothers house, or parents, or possibly a friends. I am not looking for information on why I should have a full blow commercial insurance plan. I realize the inherant risk of breakign something at someone's house and I am okay with that.....But want to make sure I am covered if I role it, or burns, or gets into an accident while I am trailering it somewhere. I appreciate the help. The machine is a Case CX36b
Whoever my broker says. Life is too short to look through hundreds of different insurance companies, that's the broker's job. He also handles all the paperwork and payment.
While the trailer is behind your truck, your vehicle insurance covers the tow according to my insurance agent. Ask yours about tow coverage.
This above. Your insurance agent/broker is making money on you and it's their job to provide you with policies that cover what you need. If they can't do that for you then get another agent - capitalism is awesome.
I ended up speaking to my insurance agent and they claim the mini would not be covered for comprehension while on the trailer just liability if it hurt someone. Not sure I agree with that so need to pull my actual paperwork and check.
At least make sure you always call 811 before you do any digging.
That's interesting. I have comprehensive on my trucks and trailers, but all equipment is fire theft only, then general liability obviously. I'm assuming the trailer insurance would be the one covering what you're hauling? And why it's so much more if you're hauling someone else's stuff. As far as trusting the broker, yea I know I don't. My broker is awful, and I detail any coverage/changes I want over email so I have in writing what I want incase anything ever happens, ran into that with my stolen truck last year and the emails saved me even though the policy didn't have the coverage they still covered it. Or the time I only had fire theft on my dump truck for 6 months because they screwed up but I was safe because I had emails saying what coverage on it. I don't trust my broker at all, and I don't think it's wise to trust their word over the phone unless you know them really well and they've been really knowledgeable or it could come back to haunt you.
Always do things over email, that way both you and the broker don't have to stop work at the same time to talk, and there is a permanent record.
Chubb