Good Morning All, I searched the 330 pages of posts and couldnt find anything that I havent attempted. Our 2006 JD 317 died while moving on Sunday. Through our troubleshooting we have performed the following and i am looking for any advice or suggestions since i cannot get a mechanic onsite for 3 weeks based on dozen of calls to service companies. New Battery Tested shutoff solenoid and it does clack when the key is turned. (Have not removed yet since tools are not onsite) Replaced fuel filters Blew out fuel lines and pickup tube Checked fuses (there is only 4) Bleed the system and pumped the valve at least 300 times and released bubbles Its current state it just cranks and cranks and cranks. No codes, no lights, and nothing really leading me anywhere. Thanks for reading and suggestions. Blake
What if you give it a sniff of start fluid, just so you know its a fuel issue, if its runs, then you know its not getting fuel. and since you did all basics already, id be looking at solenoid, just because it clicks doesnt mean its open.
We didnt give it too much starting fluid but it flutters in an attempt to start. I am planning to do more testing on the transfer pump and solenoid later. Thanks for the reply.
That was next suggestion, transfer or lift pump
Pulled to cover for solenoid and it moves free and clear. Tested the fuel pump based on operation and test manual and it looks good. We bypassed with with an electric one hoping for different results to no avail. Thanks
Welcome to HEF bliebold ! Post a serial number please. While you have that cover off and with the solenoid on, measure the total rack travel (in mm's) and post. You might have to cut a 6 inch steel ruler in half to fit it in there. If you can, use a fuel pressure gauge to measure the pressure while cranking and post. While on the subject of fuel you didn't by chance replace the fuel return line check valve did you? The fuel pressure check would help determine if that is bad or not.
SN: T00317a118092 I did not replace the check valve but none of the JD manuals show that......... I do know that we have fuel flowing completely when i checked for a restricted return line I will pickup a gauge and test. Thanks
Any idea i should be looking for during crank if the valve is good vs bad?
When it died on you, did it die like you turned the key off or did it slowly bog down to a stall? Don't have a cranking spec. Running spec for fuel pressure is 10+psi. I would be happy to see 5+ psi cranking. You can check the return check valve by pumping the primer. It should develop 5+ psi. When you stop pumping it should hold at least 4 psi for 10 minutes. If it drops right to zero, the check valve is definitely bad. Keep in mind I have seen them hold 4 psi yet not allow the fuel system to develop full running pressure.