Hello, I have a TL150 thatis hard starting when cold or not warmed up. After its started it runs perfect, no smoke. I'm thinking I need to do a compression test on it. I've been told I test it thru the injector ports since it has no glow plugs. Also have been told it's a pita to remove the injectors without breaking them. Who has some insight on this?
You could possibly have a fuel issue and not a compression problem. Do you get smoke out of the exhaust pipe when the machine is cold and you are trying to start it? Check and see how much crankcase pressure you have coming from the vent. Look for engine oil where the vent hose opening is. There are several things you should check like that before you go pulling the fuel injectors.
Thanks, I will look into that first. Cold while cranking it does smoke, dont remember if it was grayish or black, but it does pour black once it starts for a second. The fuel tank did have an algae problem, but I think I have gotten rid of that. No longer catching slime in the inline filter I added.
I'm not sure how your engine injectors are set up but there is a slide hammer tool you can buy that will remove most injectors without damage.
Under the valve cover. Once lines are off, the grommets must be pulled, then lift off valve cover. Never had a problem with the injectors being stuck, but only ever pulled them on two 4tnv106. Before you travel down that path, get the engine hot and hold your thumb over breather hose end. Now, do same at high idle. One that had low compression had disturbingly high blow by. When my injection pump(s) went bad, they required ether to start anytime the machine was off more than 20 minutes. I did injection pump in machine, but, what a PITA. Since I've modified my fuel systems (and Takeuchi changed to the lower micron fuel filter), I've never had to replace a pump again.
"When my injection pump(s) went bad, they required ether to start anytime the machine was off more than 20 minutes. I did injection pump in machine, but, what a PITA." Thanks for that info, I am troubleshooting a 1998 TB035 Tak doing similar, Hard to start hot or cold. Not much blowby, just very hard to start. When you say I did injection pump in machine what a PITA, what is the difficult part? replacing it? or rebuilding it? Thanks for any info you can give.
First, iirc, it is a odd tooth timing setup. Second, there are fasteners between the pump and block. 3rdly, a TL150 is the equivalent of 10# of **** in a 5# can. Fourth, I'm 5'17" and 280#. I went with new...shopped the part number and chose the lowest unit.
Thanks for the info Should have my new starter today and I will check the blowby.