Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2007 JD 310SG backhoe turning off during digging

briach01 ยท 2025-10-05 20:07

Hello, I could really use some troubleshooting help. I've got this JD 310SG that uses this electrohydraulic system. Every time I bump the hoe bucket on a rock or hard material it shuts off. I have to keep flipping the pilot control switch off and on again. I've replaced the pilot switch, the solenoid in by the fuses, and recently I replaced the solenoid on the backhoe valve body. It hasn't resolved the problem. If anyone has any suggestions on what this might be please let me know I would greatly appreciate it.

Replies5
  1. #1nikthewho2025-10-06 01:35

    Many electro-hydraulic systems have a pressure switch that kills the pilot circuit if pressure exceeds limits (protects the system). If it's set too low, failing, or has a bad connection, shock loads trip it. Look near the main valve or pump. Some JD models have load-management programming that cuts pilot power on over-pressure events. Check for stored fault codes too.

  2. #2mg23612025-10-06 05:10

    Welcome to HEF briach01 ! Please provide the machine's complete serial number. A faulty seat switch can knock your backhoe hydraulics out. The seat switch function can be seen in the monitor. That is why I need the serial number. To get you some accurate information on how to do that. I assume the loader is still working? Those machines have a history of relief valve issues that can cause the hydraulics to quit. Again, serial number dependent on whether you lose loader functions or not. You said you replaced a solenoid on the backhoe valve body? The solenoid for the pilot controls are on the pilot manifold, which is mounted on the forward side of the backhoe control valve.

  3. #3briach012025-10-06 09:05

    Thank you. The serial number is: T0310SG961276. My monitor is an older one that doesn't show much information but I will try to look through the codes. The loader works fine, it's the hoe that cuts out. I just replaced #13 AT174923(above). Did not have any effect on the problem. I just ordered: KV25678(#8 below) another solenoid valve that's on the pilot control manifold(ST160647), I should get that in a week or two. The faulty seat switch is interesting, didn't think of that I'll do some testing today. As far as the pressure switch goes I read in another post that it's possible on the pilot control manifold there's a pressure reducing valve that may get contaminated. See below.

  4. #4mg23612025-10-06 11:58

    It should show the seat switches when in Service Mode. Check your messages. Solenoid #13 above in the first picture is for the auxiliary hydraulics.

  5. #5briach012025-10-06 15:55

    I went into the display Service Mode and went through all the options/settings/diagnostics and what not. No codes or saved codes. Nada, clear, everything looked to spec. So I thought hey let's get scientific about this. I got in the seat turned the backhoe on and jumped up and down. Guess what quit working.... I don't know if I'm mad or happy. But I'm thrilled that you put me on this path, I would have never thought to check the seat sensor. So kudos and have a beer/coffee on me.