Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 590 Super M series 2 carraro transmission rebuild problems with reverse

waihuenafarm · 2025-10-06 05:17

Had an issue with 590 super M Backhoe slipping once it got to operating temperature so ordered rebuild kit from broken tractor that came with remanufactured TC, charge pump, friction rings, seals and O rings. Changed out friction plates and Teflon seals on input assembly and all Orings I came across on disassembly. Performed 90 psi air test on input assembly and got both forward and reverse to lock up accordingly . Reinstalled trans and while it performs great in forward, reverse drives great on flat ground but once it hits just a slight incline it won’t go up it no matter what rpm’s the motor hits. tested out valve body solenoids by switching wires and still not adequate pressure in reverse. Logic tells me i have a problem on input assembly reverse side but all Teflon seals have been replaced and if forward is working and has required pressure my TC and charge pump are doing their job. Where would you look to see where I might be losing pressure? This is a machine that we use a lot on the farm I live on and this is the first time I’ve worked on this type of equipment. Been wrenching for over 20 yrs but never on heavy equipment like this so any help or direction is greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance for any help and God bless

Replies1
  1. #1gggraham2025-10-07 09:57

    Check the gap between the top plate and the first disc it should be .09"- .17" I attached the manual and specs for checking regulated clutch pressure etc. The reverse clutch doesn't quite look right as far as spacing. I have included the manual for this clutch shaft. Check your housing I have seen these shafts wear deep grooves in the housing. This will cause a low clutch pressure Hope this helps.