Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2007 T-800 new and unusable

Wawrecker ยท 2006-07-06 12:11

So I bought my first truck, a 07 T-800 with a 475 isx Cummins, 18spd factory drop axle, 46 k rears 16k front, hendrickson HN susp, full lockers. I took it to the shop thats installing a 52,000lb Stellar hooklift and while following the driver I realized the back of the truck was out of alignment. When we got to the shop I told the Manager about it, he measured it and said take it back, it should never been delivered. the right frame rail is about 1" 1/4 higher than the left with some slope in it also. The dealer is going to lossen cross members and try to corect it. Its just very disapointing. I can hear the response now " give it back, demand a new one!" has anyone else had a new truck defect issue and how was it handled? Thanks

Replies39
  1. #1CT18fireman2006-07-06 15:01

    We had the same problem with two of our firetrucks, one being the ladder. We had to have the whole suspension cut off and re-hung to prevented going down the road at an angle. I think this is going to become more of a problem, it seems like quality control is really starting to suffer.

  2. #2atgreene2006-07-06 19:37

    I guess I'm not surprised. If you've seen my threads on the trailer and excavator you'll understand why. Hopefully they can correct it and get it back to you ASAP. It sure is a PITA. Us small businesses always seem to take it in the end while the big companies line their pockets with money made by screwing us.:Banghead

  3. #3jazak2006-07-06 22:33

    I'd be so pissed I would take back the truck tell him to get me another one. :dizzy If he didn't I go and just get a Pete. :guns

  4. #4itsgottobegreen2006-07-06 22:56

    I got two kubota ZD-28 ztr mowers, one 119hrs and one 138hrs, both have been in the shop 3 times each, I have only made 3 payments on them. :Banghead They go back tomarrow, I told the dealer if they have to come back again, it an't going to be pretty. I spend $22,500 so I wouldn't have any issues with equipment any more. GRRRRRRRRRRR

  5. #5Wawrecker2006-07-07 00:37

    UPDATE!!! So the dealer calls about noon today, trucks ready, I pick it up deliver to the bed installer.....................Foul ball!!! shes only half screwed up now! I call the selling dealer and let him talk to the bed installer and all I get is I will call you tomarrow. Back to the office send another fax to the selling dealer for documentation purposes and explain again that the truck theyve been paid in full for is still defective and and unable to be used for the purpose it was sold for. I also sent a fax to Paccar CEO Mark Pigott and included all corospondance with the dealer todate. I will keep you posted

  6. #6Ford LT-90002006-07-07 01:15

    I don't know how the trucks frame could get that far out of whack. Tell the dealer either give you a new truck or your off to the Mack dealer to get a Mack Granite. You could cross the boarder and deal with Inland Kenworth they are the KW dealer for B.C. . How come your going with a Hook Lift hoist they don't pull as well as a conventional rail hoist. Does this truck do more than haul bins or do you use the truck for multi use like salt spreader, flatdeck etc.

  7. #7CascadeScaper2006-07-07 02:17

    I'd be pissed as well, don't settle for less than perfect with a brand new truck.

  8. #8cat3202006-07-07 08:33

    I don't know about you but for one i would be made at the slip up now they have put you behind schedual with the mounting the body,2. if they do fix it it just seams to me you shouldn't have to pay full price for the truck. 3. your losing time because of this whole mess. haveing to take time out of your jobs.

  9. #9atgreene2006-07-07 09:29

    Be sure to tell them about this forum, better yet send a link. It's amazing how they suddenly remember you and how great a customer you are when they know their getting bad press and someone is reading it.

  10. #10tylermckee2006-07-07 09:42

    they should be giving you a new truck, giving you a discount on that new truck, paying for your lost time, hell they should be taking you to lunch. our concrete contractor bought 2 brand new f250 fords and had all kinds of problems with the 6.0 and the dealership ended up cutting them a few checks for the lost time, and giving them new trucks. It took some bitching but it worked.

  11. #11Wawrecker2006-07-07 22:41

    Good news!!! Corporate contacted me today with what I believe to be genuine concern. They have authorized the best local truck shop JH Large truck repair to do what ever is necessary to make the truck rite and there customer happy including taking the truck to wherever it needs to go to make it happen. The truck was put on a laser frame rack and it was found that the frame was twisting many directions but are convinced it wants to be straight it just needs all the cross members loosed from front to back and torque back down in the proper sequence against a level jig. I will post more as it comes together. I will post picks when the bed has been installed

  12. #12Ford LT-90002006-07-07 23:07

    I would tell Kenworth you want a new set of frame rails essentially a glider without a cab then you have all the drive line installed into it. I don't beleive loosening the crossmembers is going to fix it because all the suspension components were bolted on with the frame crooked. I have a feeling the truck is going to be a jinx I would have sent it back or asked for your money back. They are going the cheap way out.

  13. #13atgreene2006-07-08 19:41

    Hopefully this will fix it. You certainly have a record of it if isn't.

  14. #14Wawrecker2006-08-03 12:49

    Follow up Well, here is the completed truck, let me now what you think.

  15. #15Wawrecker2006-08-03 12:51

    More...

  16. #16sbrem2006-08-03 17:13

    Very nice looking KW!:thumbsup

  17. #17Orchard Ex2006-08-03 17:38

    Looks really good! So it's all straight now? Happy with how KW handled everything?

  18. #18atgreene2006-08-03 20:29

    Sweet!

  19. #19erthmover2006-08-03 20:40

    Great Looking Truck:thumbsup

  20. #20Steve Frazier2006-08-03 22:13

    Very nice!!:thumbsup

  21. #21Ford LT-90002006-08-03 22:21

    The truck looks good :yup Atleast they got the frame fixed for ya now its time to make money with the truck. The only thing I see missing is a auto tarp :thumbsup

  22. #22Wawrecker2006-08-03 23:48

    A company I was with about 6-7 years ago used one on a simular truck and I found they were replacing the tarp alot due to the tarp getting cut frequently and it gave the driver no reason to get out of the cab and make sure the box was ready and clean.

  23. #23Ford LT-90002006-08-04 00:31

    I can see the tarp getting damaged. If all your hauling is heavy debris you really don't need a tarp. With the truck being a hooklift you can be a little more multi-purpose over a conventional rail rolloff. It will be curious how well the truck works out I have heard hooklifts don't have the pulling power like a conventional rails. All what we have out here and what I drove is conventional rails. Some of the 40 yard bins of soaking wet garbage was frigging heavy the poor truck struggled pulling the bins on.

  24. #24Jeff D.2006-08-04 01:10

    She does look real good!! The only thing I can see that I might have a concern over is the stainless full fenders over the tandems. I had a set like them on my last truck. They looked very nice, and worked well, but developed cracks midpoint between the tandems, starting from the edges and working it's way towards the center on both sides. It may have been the center support on mine wasn't sturdy enough?? I thought after I should've gotton the plastic ones. They don't look as nice, but are very durable. A minor concern for such a sweet looking rig.:thumbsup

  25. #25Ford LT-90002006-08-04 01:29

    The other problem with the stainless fender over the tandems is if the can tilts to either side you can bend the fender. Myself I would rather have a stainless fender they look better you can never have enough shiny stuff on a work truck :bouncegri

  26. #26Wawrecker2006-08-04 02:28

    The bed is rated at 52,000lbs, Ive ran a chain system and a hooklift in the past and much prefer the hook. As far as versatility, you cant beat a hook. Since the bed ends at the end of the frame, we were able to put a dirt truck style hitch with a wet line to pull a pup and dump. The first run we made with it monday was with a Trailmax 3 axle tilt deck hauling our ex-200 Hitachi. Gross weight was just under 93,000lbs. It towed just fine. I struggled with plastic or aluminum fenders for a bit. I dont like how the plastic gets that ugly oxidised white look. New fender skins run $180.00 so I will just replace them as needed.

  27. #27CascadeScaper2006-08-04 02:48

    Absolutely beautiful! I love T800's. It's going to be a long time before I ever get a sweet T800 like that! A contractor around here bought an older T800 from a demolition company in Seattle, Inner City Demoliton, ring a bell? Our local guy has been dropping 40 yard hook lift roll offs for us to dispose of some job waste, the system works extremely well. He can put 20,000# in each bin, running right around 90K gross with a pup. We're hauling steel pipe to Seattle to recycle it.

  28. #28Ford LT-90002006-08-05 01:21

    The one thing about the hooklift its pull on the bin and go no messing with the tie down chains on the end of the rails like on a conventional rail truck. You should get a flatdeck,gravel box,water tank for road watering and fire fighting and a bunch of bins.

  29. #29farmerted442006-08-06 11:38

    WOW !!!! are you happy with it?? a lot of trouble you had to deal with . congrats is in order ...... i would be in prison for shooting up a kross walker dealership!!1

  30. #30jazak2006-08-06 11:48

    :thumbsup Very nice :thumbsup That hook lift must be very nice since you can switch and leave bodies at jobs.

  31. #31CAT ONLY2009-09-14 02:22

    very nice:thumbsup

  32. #3290plow2009-09-14 22:33

    any action shots?

  33. #33thejdman042009-09-16 21:49

    Sorry to hear about your truck. It seems there is no quality control or pride in peoples work anymore. No one stands behind their product. I bought a new dump box for my brand new truck. One corner of the box is 2 1/2 inches higher then the other. I called the dealer who sold it to me, they said be glad thats all it is off. I welded the box on, the dealer said (i installed the box myself), if you want to cut the box off and well get you a new one you can, but the new one may be worse. They said usually we just bend the headache rack (cab protector) it make it appear level.

  34. #34Dualie2009-09-24 00:59

    I would have went back there screaming and hollering. i would have been the loudest man in 5 counties. I have ZERO Patience for that lowest bidder crap anymore. this is how dump boxes SHOULD BE! http://www.roguetruckbody.com/

  35. #35CAT ONLY2009-09-24 02:55

    Rouge makes the nicest boxes in my opinion.

  36. #36tonka2009-09-24 07:24

    I'd rather have a Reliance box over a Rogue!

  37. #37ddot4302009-10-03 02:47

    give back and get a peterbilt:notworthy

  38. #38crash9352009-10-08 21:28

    You do know that Kenworths and Peterbilts are built in the same plants, right?

  39. #39Dualie2009-10-08 22:09

    The T300 and the Pete 330 Medium duty trucks are the ONLY peterbilt/kenworth's built in in the same state. EVERY OTHER Peterbilt AND kenworth is made in separate plants. The Medium duty pete/Kw's are made up in canada. Peterbilt just announced that their closing there Tennessee plant. Denton, TX will remain open as the sole Peterbilt plant for the other model trucks. Paccar is the parent company of both manufacturers Everyone knows the Best peterbilts were built in california though