Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2010 cat 304 CCR heater fan

jbernielh ยท 2016-11-25 22:56

I've had this machine since new, and have found in winter with heat, or summer with A/C, the fan doesn't move much air... I've been working on it today and have the interior pretty much ripped out of it so I thought it would be a good time to investigate.. the fan functions on all 3 speeds and I removed the inlet filter to preclude that being an issue.. there is a very dismal amount of flow coming out the discharge end and it actually seems to blow out a bit at the filter , where in fact it should be sucking.. any input would be appreciated Bernie

Replies11
  1. #1Delmer2016-11-25 23:29

    A little backwash at the filter makes me wonder if it's plugged after the blower? An AC evaporator will form a film of gunk over it and stop up pretty good, even with a filter. Or a dead mouse etc. in the blower will kill the air movement too. Either dissassemble until you can see the blockage, or try to suck it backwards with a shop vac, maybe spray some mist to rinse.

  2. #2jbernielh2016-11-25 23:42

    it's such a pig to try and get into and the squirrel cage looks clean (looking down from the top theres a sensor I removed and you can see the squirrel cage from the inside) I'm smiling because your right about the mouse.. I found a well and truly dead one downstream from the fan.. guess he climbed into one of the air outlets.. guess I'll just persevere in the morning and look for a downstream obstruction as best I can.. Bernie

  3. #3melli2016-11-26 11:08

    No idea where your HVAC system is on machine, but mine is a pain. Have to remove one very heavy seat out of excavator, then I can remove the metal top of HVAC unit. I find in dusty conditions, the AC and Heater rads can get plugged easily. Since, I cannot pull the AC portion fully out, without a lot a headaches, I hose the works with water, and low pressure air. I also throw some safe chemicals on both to loosen up fines. The fan really has to work hard to pull air through both rads. BTW - in pic, I've pulled the blower motor so I can access both sides. Tip: I found my filter is a match to an auto filter at Canadian Tire...save some money over Bobcat dealer price, plus I think I get a better filter.

  4. #4jbernielh2016-11-26 21:21

    thx for the input.. on this machine the HVAC is a pac by your right knee.. it stands vertically, about 20 inches tall, 20 long and about 10 inches in width, made of plastic.. it has the heat/cool exchangers and fan all built into it.. the only way to open it up is to completely remove it from the machine.. which means, disconnect the coolant lines plus the refrigeration lines.. then you can split it and access the internals.. no small job, plus it means recharging the refrigeration system afterwards.. I never got to it today, but tomorrow I'll get at it with an air gun and if need be, a water flush.. I'm reluctant to use water for fear of it getting into the fan motor etc.. no doubt it's a compact unit but ease of access to repair wasn't a consideration.. Bernie

  5. #5melli2016-11-27 12:24

    Well, that sucks. While I appreciate these machines are compact, internals should be reasonably accessible, especially items prone to getting dusty. Having to disconnect AC lines, as you mentioned, is no small feat. Designers.... And I thought mine was bad....lol. Figured with all the great tools designers and engineers have nowadays, they could make things easy to access.

  6. #6jbernielh2016-11-27 22:19

    well its all fixed and looks like new.. it blows a gale out the vent now.. the HVAC pac can be dismantled insitu but not for the faint of heart.. about 25 screws, a few well hidden.. the hot air heat exchanger is disconnected but the A/C exchanger can be left connected.. there's a definite order that needs to be followed and it's apparent once you start.. plan on a full day to dismantle, clean and reassemble.. I work in some pretty fine dust in the summer.. like talcum powder.. the back side of the A/C exchanger looked like it had been stucco'd.. I can't believe there was any air getting through it at all.. something I learned when I had it all dismantled is that the 2 towers with vents behind the operator are strictly A/C.. there's no way they can output heat.. I never used them for A/C anyway so when I reassembled the pac I put foil tape over the discharge port that feeds the towers so now all the discharge for either heat or cool will come out the forward three vents.. Bernie

  7. #7melli2016-11-28 11:07

    Awesome, great to hear! Don't suppose you got any pics? Although, not my model year, be nice to know the guts of one.

  8. #8jbernielh2016-11-28 20:56

    I did take a couple pictures but I've never figured out how to post them.. another day I'll work on that one..

  9. #9jbernielh2016-12-11 11:39

    now that I finally figured out with help how to post a picture.. here's what the A/C exchanger looked like inside the HVAC pack and it's pretty obvious why the air wouldn't flow

  10. #10Nige2016-12-11 11:59

    One word - nasty .......

  11. #11melli2016-12-12 23:20

    Oh man! That is indeed nasty. Inside a tiny cab, with whatever is growing on that...I've always been paranoid about keeping my filter clean. Bad enough sucking in diesel fumes, but I believe an ex-cab is one of the worst places to have stuff growing in it. I notice the back of my cab (firewall) get mighty warm...can only imagine what a petri dish it can be, if dirty.