Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2012 Cat 259B Should I buy it

dinasnore ยท 2024-04-26 13:46

I'm looking to add a CTL to my equipment to use when conditions are not good to use my old Case 1845 C. I am considering a 2012 Cat 259B with 1400 hours on it. The machine is clean and has been used for personal use on a residential estate. My concerns are the possible maintenance issues with this model. Its a tier 4 interim machine but I can't get any info from Cat on specifics without giving them the serial number of the machine I own. Does anyone out there have experience with this machine and how expensive they are to maintain especially the emission issues. I know I have been spoiled by the old bomb proof Case 1845 C, but could use some real world advice from somebody who's been there. Even a general maintenance schedule for this year and model would be of great help. Thanks all

Replies2
  1. #1Nige2024-04-26 14:01

    Can't help with your other questions but the best investment you could make if you do purchase the machine is an Operation & Maintenance Manual. First check if the original paper copy is in the pocket behind the seat. If it is - happy daze. It will have all the info you need. If not, the manuals are downloadable in pdf form from Cat Publications or can be bought on a CD.

  2. #2Tyler d4c2024-04-26 14:57

    It has a 3044 in it it is not a teir 4 or even a 3 (maybe considered a 3 but I doubt it) it wasn't till the 259d that they had any amount of a emissions system. With that said if funds allow id look for a d much nicer machine to operate as far as I am concerned. As with all ctl and mini excavators I preach that the final oil be changed sooner then the engine oil. The finals are 8 or 9000 anymore.