Hi guys I'm new to the forum and I'm looking to purchase a backhoe for work around my property. I have looked at many many units for what seems like a lot of money for older units with 10000 hours. I have come across a 2013 Case 580 N that looks to be in fairly decent shape. I looked at it last May and I just couldn't come up with the funds before the guy had to leave on a trip. Found out the guy still has it and is finally back. It has roughly 3300 hours on it and we are talking around 40k Canadian for the unit. Which in comparison to what I am seeing on the market seems really good. I know he paid $55k back in 2020 for the unit seen in the bill of sale. The seems to run fine and operate as it should tested it out all hydraulics are functioning and I don't see any leaks. Drove it up and down the road and it seemed nice and tight in steering etc. The only thing I could come up with was some slop in the pins which appears to be a lack of grease. There are some engine codes that I would like to know if I should be concerned about and I have attached some pictures. There appears to be some rust probably from sitting, hoping for some guidance, as it's a pretty big purchase for us after building a house. I also have the option of going with a CAT Skidsteer 2016 236d which has 2800 hours on it 2 buckets and a set of forks for 35k I just feel the backhoe will be more useful. *** For some added background the owner is a bit of an older gentleman who purchased a piece of property and was going to build but for some reason decided not to according to him. He used it to clear the land a bit and landscape. I don't know if something I can't find is wrong with this unit preventing him from moving forward and he needs to sell it to get something else or in fact, if his story is true and he decided to use it just as a camp. I know many people ran out of funds after 2020 with the inflation-ruining plans of building prices skyrocketed so I'm thinking it was more of a funding issue and nothing is seriously wrong with the unit. He put just over 300 hours on the unit since owning it mid 2020 These are the codes and it only lets me attach 4 pictures at a time code occ hours 3688 2 3081.1 3089 1 3083.4 3409 3 3087.4 3915 1 3088.1 3260 5 3096.6 3691 14 3108.3 3694 9 3108.3 1050 10 3132.1 3350 1 3133.7
More pictures
more pictures
a few more
I don't know what any of those codes are for, but clearly that machine was used to push snow with a ton of salt or Mag Chloride. Wow that is eat up with rust. Assuming that the codes don't represent big issues, it still may be a decent deal, but working on it is going to mean a lot or broken bolts and a ton of Easy Outs and drill bits. It has aux to the rear, thats good. Does it have an Extenda hoe?
Yes, it does have extenda hoe, He purchased the unit at 3008 hours from a dealer so I don't know the history prior at all. I don't know how long it has been sitting other than where It was parked when I left it last May it seems to be exactly where I left it before he went on his trip. Not that this would account for all the rust but I don't think he uses it at all anymore and it may have been sitting for some time.
Being that we are in Northern Ontario Canada I wouldn't doubt that the unit was used to clear snow at some point in the first 3000 hours of it's life and we use a ton of salt on the roads here. Even if it wasn't used for snow if it was driven on the roads in the winter the salt will get it. Same reason my car does not go out in the winter and gets parked.