I’m looking at acquiring a 310 D, I believe it’s a 1994. The previous owner bought it at auction and drove it home very slowly, because it wouldn’t go much faster than 2 miles an hour. He got it home about an hour later and found that there was a hole in the hydraulic filter that had drained the system almost completely. What might I look into replacing on this unit if this caused any damage? He says they’ve had it for over 15 years now and everything has run great. Any info is greatly appreciated. I do have all the manuals for it and have combed them as well as the internet to get acquainted with it. They look like solid machines, other than the floors rusting out..
Welcome! What are you planning to do with it? and what mechanical experience do you have? The 310s are basic solid machines and that is new enough to be functional, but it will still get you with hoses and seals here and there. If it's been used enough recently it should be ok, if it's sat mostly for the last five years, then you'll probably have a lot of surprises until you get the kinks worked out, all the leaks fixed, filters changed, etc.
If I understand you correctly, he bought it 15 years ago, so by using the machine for 15 years I wouldn’t worry about the fluid being run out. He would have already had to resolve any issues from that many many years ago.
Thanks! You guys have a great forum here. I went ahead and bought it so I’m officially a part of the club. Forgot to mention it has a little over 4800 hours. I plan on using it to dig in field line, dig up trees, and move dirt. I’ve got some decent experience with maintaining heavy machinery and have worked as a mechanic for a number of years. Finally bought a hydraulic hose press last year and it’s already paid for itself since I’m constantly maintaining my company equipment.
The previous owner said they probably put a total of about 200 hours on it over that 15 years.. could there be some issues that arise in the reverser after running on air for an hour? Which systems are affected by the fluid running through the large filter in the back? Any preventative maintenance I can do to help it along? I also found a bypass on the neutral solenoid from the previous owner that wasn’t getting power as soon as I took it off the trailer. It feels like it was stuck in neutral no matter what I did. I found two wires that had fallen apart (just bare wires twisted together) but still nothing. So I tore all the new wires out and hooked the original wires up. Now the solenoid has power and is clicking in and out with the FNR and parking brake, but the machine still isn’t moving. There is one last wire that I can’t figure out where it goes. It’s a single, green wire about 18-24” long and is coming out of the harness close to the same location the solenoid wires are. I believe it’s one of the wires they used in the bypass. I’ve looked at a few wiring diagrams in the manual but can’t seem to pinpoint which it might be.
Why do you say “the reverser was running on air for an hour“ ? The reverser does not have a remote filter so it wasn’t leaking. Did the PO find the reverser extremely low on oil ? The “large filter on the back“ is the hydraulic system filter.
Sorry, just shooting in the dark. I haven’t figured out which systems would’ve been affected by the issue he had. So if that filter had leaked why was it only crawling home for him? I’m still pouring through the manuals to catch up.
With the engine running and park brake off, confirm that there is power at the neutral/ clutch cut off solenoid. . If the lone green wire is coming from the factory wiring harness ,it should have identifying letter and numbers about every 8-10 inches all along its length. You have a serial number for the machine ?
With the engine running and park brake off, confirm that there is power at the I’ll check the wire, good info. Here’s the serial: T0310DA810670
I couldn’t get the wrap off the wire easily, I’ll have to get different tools when I get home this evening. The neutral solenoid is getting power but it makes a faint click compared to the FNR solenoid (next to the neutral solenoid). Maybe it’s getting weak?