Serial number is CAT0259djftl02362 I have used the search button to no avail so I am asking. I am looking to see the location of the case drain line on the drive motor. I have a leak that appears to be coming from the travel motor head. I have cleaned and inspected a thousand times second guessing myself, but I have ruled out the duo-cone seal as it is dry. Have tightened all hose connections and bolts on the head to make sure nothing was loose. Looks like it is coming from the mating surface ofthe drive head. Possibly a bad o-ring. I want to do the case drain test on both drive motors because to my naked eye it looks like the left motor is spinning faster than the leaking right one. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Is your machine single speed or two-speed.?
It is a two speed.
Thanks for the diagram. I am attempting to attach a picture, not a very good one but following the diagram I believe it is the non rusted silver one? When doing this test I am assuming CAT does not really have a recommended spec? I am assuming just do both motors and see how much fluid or how fast the fluid comes out? I am assuming it needs to be performed under a load? How long should I do this for? How much fluid approximately am I wanted to flow out? Sorry for all the questions would rather get them out now so I am not doing a million posts. thanks kyle
How many small-diameter hoses do you have going to the motor.? According to the diagram there should be 3. The motor case drain is the one on its own, the other two are together. See the illustration below which is the RH side. I think the case drain should be the one with the elbow marked #38 and the hose #28. Cat does not have a spec that I can find. There is one for the hydrostatic pump but not for the motors. I agree - do both motors and compare the two case drain flows. You don't have to do it under load, just rotating will be fine. Get the machine up on blocks or jack stands. I don't imagine you're going to get a huge amount of oil out, maybe less than a quart in something like a minute.
I see the one with the elbow on the back side. Those two hoses in the pic look small and the one with the elbow on it is pretty tiny lol. Thanks for the help. I will report back hopefully in the next day as long as I have time after work.
I went through this on a DSN a couple years ago and from what they told me there is no case drain spec. All they could tell me was a pencil lead size drizzle was considered good.
Last questions..... Does this need to be performed at a certain throttle position and does it matter if the 2nd speed is activated or not? thanks
Ok, I performed the test on the right motor (leaking motor) in low or normal speed and it appears to be ok. Made a hose to come off the port on the motor and all looked good. My question now is we tried to do it in high speed or second speed (not sure if needed to or not) and we did not get far as the plug in the line failed and shot the hydraulic fluid out of the line under pretty good pressure for a second before we stopped. If that is a return line why would fluid be traveling back to the drive motor? I know nothing about the hydraulics on these things.
Sounds like you pulled the 2 speed line off and not the case drain line. The 2 big lines are for the fluid that drives the motor. Going off memory the larger of the 2 small lines I believe is the case drain and smallest is the 2 speed line. The 2 speed line (if I'm remembering it right) will only be pressurized once high speed is engaged AND a drive function is activated. The 2 speed line just supplies oil pressure to the motor, which acts on a small piston inside the motor to decrease the swash plate angle. Decreased swash plate angle means it takes less fluid to turn the motor, so it spins faster (but with less torque).
Thanks for the reply. That makes perfect sense. in the picture I took above those are the other two (small) hoses. Both pretty dang close to the same size with the one dirt/rust is ever so slightly bigger. at first glance they look identical in size. I am attaching another photo for reference. thanks for the help!!
I pulled he top one with the silver connector and ran the machine and not a drop of fluid would come out of that one????
I was able to finally pull the head off and found the parking brake disks broken. Just looking for any insight as to what would have caused this? I was hoping to find a brake pack but only the complete park brake assembly and they are proud of it too. Has anyone had any luck with finding just the pack from an aftermarket company? thanks!
From earlier information on HEF I think these motors are made for Cat by Rexroth, A6 is the model number IIRC. Is there any information on the data plate on the motor that might be at all useful.? You may be lucky and find an manufacturer's reference number on it.
Thanks for the information. I will have to check tomorrow as I am doing this at the shop at work. Thanks!