Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 299D Fuel leakage code…

Makers Acres · 2023-04-17 22:01

I started a new thread on this as the last one was resolved, and was due to fuel contamination, but this seems to be from a new problem. My Cat 299D is now throwing "Engine Fuel Leakage 1 - Error Code 1239-1". This time, I tried changing the fuel pump, fuel filters, and even blew into the fuel line to make sure it is clear. Watching the fuel pre filter, it appears I have good fuel flow. I even tried running the machine on an external small tank just to be sure, and the issue still happens. I put my old pump on a test bench and it is making 15PSI. The new pump makes 12PSI. I have tried both pumps in the machine and they don't seem to make a difference. One thing I have observed is that this problem happens more when the machine is warmed up. I thought maybe this was related to injectors, so I tried a deep seafoam cleaning, and the engine seems to run a bit smoother, but still shows the error. Thanks for the help!

Replies96
  1. #1HeavyTech2023-04-21 21:43

    Hours?

  2. #2HeavyTech2023-04-21 21:56

    You have a 3.8 with common rail system From my experience providing all fuel filters / pump etc are good with zero restrictions it is the pressure sensor on the common rail

  3. #3Makers Acres2023-04-26 10:29

    3800 hours on the machine.

  4. #4Makers Acres2023-04-26 10:30

    Can one get just the pressure sensor on that rail? Cat wants to sell you the entire rail for $1200 last I checked.

  5. #5Nige2023-04-26 11:31

    The pressure sensor is not available separately based on all the information to which I have access.

  6. #6HeavyTech2023-04-26 18:58

    Sorry for the late reply Yes you can buy the replacement oem pressure sensor from the manufacturer/ dealer that makes the sensor. Example: Bosch - Denso You will have to inspect the sensor and get the information off of it

  7. #7HeavyTech2023-04-26 19:04

    Although it is recommended that you replace the entire rail, I have used this method many times before and had zero issues or leaks. The new sensor has thread lock / sealant already on the threads do not add extra sealant.

  8. #8Makers Acres2023-04-30 12:55

    Does anyone know if the pressure sensor will need any calibration with the main computer?

  9. #9Makers Acres2023-05-20 13:22

    Sooo... The mystery continues. I replaced the the fuel pump yet again and the problem went away for about 4-6 hours running at full power. Then the issue came back slowly. First every 20 minutes or so and now I can't run the machine in full throttle and put any heavy load on it. What the hell!

  10. #10lbv409952023-06-22 08:33

    you figure your problem out? My machine is doing the exact same thing and running out of ideas.

  11. #11lbv409952023-07-20 15:52

    My problem ended up being in the fuel relief valve on the rail said these machines have a manual valve and won’t throw a code but return line was really hot so replaced that and fixed the problem

  12. #12HitachiEX2025-02-21 00:42

    I am having the same problem that you were having, was there a blockage in the return line from the relief valve or do you know why it was getting hot?

  13. #13Makers Acres2025-02-21 17:24

    No, sadly I have not found the source yet. I have a theory now, but haven’t had time to validate it. I finally had a conversation with someone who worked at CAT and they thought this was most likely related to the fuel injectors. They suggested I find someone with a CAT laptop, but the shop wants 4 hours minimum at $218 an hour to do this. It seems the fuel injectors share a common oil rail that is sealed with an o-ring. This can leak and cause the fuel pressure to drop. I bought all new seals for the injectors (About 35$) but I have not had the time to put them in yet.

  14. #14Makers Acres2025-02-26 17:39

    Pulled the injectors.... Wow, that was hard to get too. Who's bright idea was it to use two valve covers and put an exhaust pipe across the rear two valve cover bolts? Here are a couple pictures of the injectors....

  15. #15Nige2025-02-26 18:40

    That looks like the results of an engine that has spent far too much of its life idling or at low engine loads. These engines seem to perform better when run hard most/all the time.

  16. #16Makers Acres2025-02-27 13:14

    Ya, I have had no choice with the error code. Hopefully rebuilding them will fix my issues.

  17. #17Nige2025-02-27 13:19

    FYI. Anecdotal evidence suggests there is a shortage of fuel injection specialists who will not only rebuild these injectors but ALSO stand by their work. Talking to a Kubota engine dealer might be a good first step.

  18. #18Makers Acres2025-02-27 13:26

    Thank you, I have noticed that. This is why I am going to send them to area diesel service who I have watched a few YouTube videos from and they have impressed me.

  19. #19Nige2025-02-27 13:29

    TBH a company having a Youtube channel would make me less likely to deal with them. Smoke & mirrors and all that. Be sure to give feedback on your experience, positive or negative.

  20. #20Makers Acres2025-02-27 13:54

    Yes, I watch FarmCraft and Diesel Creek. They have both used there services and the shop did special videos showing the process of the full rebuild and reman of parts that don't seem to exist anymore. I was very impressed with their work and attention to detail. Here is one of there videos that impressed me:

  21. #21Nige2025-02-27 14:10

    Farmraft. I've watched a few of his videos. That guy is ****** dangerous.......... A quick look at the "fuel injection specialists" YT channel and I see nothing regarding Kubota engines.

  22. #22Makers Acres2025-02-27 21:06

    They said they are going to test them and we will go from there. I'll let you know the results. I also talked to dssprodiesel.com and they want $1200 per injector to rebuild plus a core fee. CAT's counter price is $894 for a new one, so I don't think I will go that route. I also came across these guys testing the same injectors I have. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1415420045181837

  23. #23Nige2025-02-28 09:26

    So they confirmed the customer's suspicion of a leaky injector - but could they ACTUALLY FIX the problem.? That is the question left unanswered, or maybe answered by "Confirmed you havre a leaky injector. We recommend you replace all four. The price for new is $X each."..?

  24. #24ozarkag2025-02-28 20:39

    Kubota Engine sells reman. . . so I assume somebody somewhere is rebuilding them. Keari-1J508 (for T4f) But have not found any fuel shop that does them in house,

  25. #25Makers Acres2025-03-02 12:10

    I found all 4 brand new old stock from a reputable seller for $400 total. I am probably going that route if they need replacement. I am still going to have them tested as I really want a smoking gun on my problem before I go crazy replacing things that might not need it.

  26. #26Nige2025-03-02 12:16

    Why would they be "old stock" for a VERY current engine model used all over the construction industry that apparently eats injectors for breakfast.? Curious. As the Chinaman might say - Sum Ting Wong.

  27. #27Simon C2025-03-02 22:06

    Be mindful that if they are not OEM and anything is off, you could have a hole in the side of a piston just like the post above Entitled " MY auction TL8 " . Buy once cry once is something I read on this site. Simon C

  28. #28Makers Acres2025-03-03 17:00

    Hmm, I have not seen many people complaining about these injectors on this engine, so that is news to me. In fact, I have had a pretty hard time finding information about this engine. Even the CAT service manual skips a lot of procedures that you typically see in other service manuals. I think this vendor has had them sitting on the shelf for a number of years. I know vendors like to cycle stock out when stuff starts to get old. It might be harder to sell these injectors aftermarket since you need the special engine connector and software to replace them. This engine is 11 years old and I am happy parts are so available. I have a 2006 Bobcat 442 and it is just about impossible to get parts for. When I went to the dealership they said "We don't like to support machines more then 5 years old and you should probably buy a new one". Ugh. This just infuriated me.

  29. #29Makers Acres2025-03-03 17:01

    They are brand new Denso injectors, not aftermarket. I don't think I would trust anything else at this point.

  30. #30Nige2025-03-03 17:12

    A quick search of the internet threw up a lot of results. Plus the number of fuel problems in that same model of engine that have come up here on HEF, most of which were likely a result of water and/or dirt in the system. Most users ended up replacing injectors. I will make the point though that most fuel system problems on the Kubota V3307 in whatever make/model of equipment are self-inflicted by owners who fail to observe basic cleanliness practices when refuelling.

  31. #31Simon C2025-03-03 17:38

    That is truly sick, but unfortunately where things are going. Just to let you know, your right joystick handle on your 442 is made by Rexroth. 9 years ago I changed one for $350, and dealer wanted $1700 and 3 weeks delivery. Got mine in 5 days. Sorry for the sickness you have encountered. Simon C

  32. #32Makers Acres2025-03-04 22:16

    I fully admit that this was my fault with contaminated fuel. That was years ago and I am still trying to get my fuels stable. I noticed more orange growth in my CAT tank after cleaning it and putting new fuel in it. I will treat everything again, but my problem is that these machines can sit for months without use.

  33. #33Makers Acres2025-03-04 22:31

    Thank you! That is good to know!

  34. #34ColdBlackWind2025-03-06 09:00

    299d2 owner here. This thread spanned a couple of years. Did you pinpoint the problem? Was it the injectors? When you were “bench testing” your pump at 15psi were you referring to the lift pump?

  35. #35Makers Acres2025-03-06 14:06

    My injectors are at Area Diesel Service right now and I am waiting for the results. After talking with a couple injector houses, it seems like 5000 hours are about max for these injectors. Plus my contamination did not help. Yes, 15psi was for the little lift pump. Are you experiencing similar issues?

  36. #36Makers Acres2025-03-06 14:46

    Do you happen to have a 442?

  37. #37ColdBlackWind2025-03-06 18:23

    I had a crank no start on a 2018 299d2. Turned out to be the high pressure pump.

  38. #38Simon C2025-03-06 20:10

    No I don't, but I worked on a customers machine 9 years ago, quite a few times. It is from what I learned a Schaefer model from Germany rebranded or something like that. Nobody new anything on them. I changed out all the filters, planetary oils and general service on the unit. Also built a custom cylinder for the thumb on it. Was a fairly strong machine, but not many around. Simon C

  39. #39Makers Acres2025-03-06 20:30

    Thank you. Ya, I have seen the 442 is known by a few different names overseas.

  40. #40HitachiEX2025-03-07 08:29

    @Makers Acres Im getting the same fault code (1239-1) on a Hitachi Zx140w, Works ok in Economy mode but won’t last more than 10 minutes on power model, Only happens when the fuel temperature reaches 86°c which seems very hot to me compared to our zx210 that runs around 45°c all day, have changed injectors ,SCV on the fuel pump, rail over pressure valve, going to try replace the high pressure fuel pump next and see is there a difference

  41. #41Makers Acres2025-03-07 14:39

    Wow, that is a lot of work! I hope I don't have to do that much to clean my code!

  42. #42Nige2025-03-07 14:46

    The usual replacement sequence, by doing the cheapest first in order of expense, goes - rail pressure relief valve (or complete rail if valve is not sold separately), injectors, then lastly HP pump.

  43. #43Makers Acres2025-03-07 19:37

    I was told the valve is a complete package with the Rail now and is around 2K, which is ridiculous! @Nige What are the side effects if I just install new injectors and don't update the injector code in the engine ECU?

  44. #44Nige2025-03-07 19:43

    It will run, just not at optimum 100%. Perfectly illustrates the amount of coin a bit of preventive maintenance can save doesn't it.?

  45. #45Makers Acres2025-03-07 19:52

    Absolutely! Good to know. Still trying to find a solution to installing injector trim codes. I might have the injectors back before I can figure out a solution for that.

  46. #46EarthWorks882025-03-10 17:22

    I just solved this issue on our 259d3 that originally had this fuel leakage code this morning, but then changed to 157-4 (rail pressure voltage below normal) when I unplugged and plugged back in the rail pressure sensor connector and could not get the original fuel leakage code to pop back up, even though the operator said he could not go 20 feet before the fuel leakage code would come on. When I first got to the machine, before unplugging the sensor the fuel leakage code would pop up for me at half throttle still in park. My issue was the signal wire at the rail pressure sensor was making a poor connection in the connector. I was getting sporadic voltage readings on the signal wire when back probing while plugged in even though I could find no issues with wire integrity or voltages unplugged. Finally decided to de-pin the connector and found the signal wire spade connection was very loose compared to the ground and 5V. I squeezed the harness side connector that goes to the sensor pin and taped the signal wire to prevent the other 2 from touching and just plugged the bare wires back in the sensor and it started hauling ass around the job and finished a regen. Not sure if this may be your issue, but may be worth checking out.

  47. #47Makers Acres2025-03-11 18:08

    That is great info! I did play around with those wires for a while but never went as far as you did. For some reason the original wire harness was pulling on those wires pretty hard and I had to cut back some zip ties and untaped things until they were no longer stressing the wires. When I unplug the sensor I get faults right away in the CAT with different error codes. I tried wiggling the wires and stressing them when running the engine and was never able to get that to trigger the code. I have also noticed fuel getting into my engine oil, so I do think something is physically wrong. When I found out that the injectors are bathed in oil, I was going to just trying pulling the injectors and swapping all the o-rings. I slept on it and thought that because I had them out and due to the difficulty to remove them, I decided to send them off for testing. I just got the tests back and 2 out of the 4 injectors did fail the tests. One was over performing and one was underperforming is what I was told. I will get the full report once then injectors get back to me. Apparently Kubota does not allow these injectors to be rebuild in the US, so no injector house will take a stab at rebuilding them. I ordered two more, but still uncertain where the fuel getting into the oil.

  48. #48ozarkag2025-03-12 08:56

    Fuel in oil has 2 main options, one is fuel return lines from injectors, the little banjo bolts and copper washers. Especially if you, ( or someone) had injectors out before. 2 is High Pressure fuel pump shaft seal can leak. The injectors themselves, AFAIK, cannot leak fuel into oil. Any fuel in oil is a cause for concern, not only is oil being diluted, but I have seen more than one overfill to the point oil is pushed thru the turbo, resulting in uncontrolled runaway.

  49. #49Makers Acres2025-03-12 15:51

    I ordered all new Banjo bolts, washers, seals, and a new return line since I have it all apart anyways. I think you are right, but the CAT service guy I spoke to said that there is a chance due to the way these injectors are bathed in oil. I am guessing that fuel could get pushed back during the compression stroke if that copper washer is not seated properly.

  50. #50Makers Acres2025-03-12 17:41

    I am going to post some CAT troubleshooting about Fuel in the oil... Probable Causes: 1. Oil Change Interval The oil should be changed at 500 hours. Perform oil sampling to ensure that fuel dilution is not flagged prior to the next 500-hour oil change interval. 2. DPF Nearing 3000 Hour Maintenance Interval Inspect DPF for plugging. A. Establish communication with Caterpillar Electronic Troubleshoot the diagnostic code 523602-0 High Frequency Regeneration code is active can cause fuel dilution. If this code is present refer to “Diesel Particulate Filter Active Regeneration Occurrence is Excessive”. 3. Low Load Application Fuel dilution can occur in low load applications. Refer to Special Instruction, REHS3007 , Duty Cycle of Machine Applications Requires a Reduced Oil Change Interval. In addition low load applications can result in more frequent active regenerations which can also cause fuel dilution. 4. Leaking Seals A. Remove the injector from the affected cylinder and visually inspect the injector O-ring seals for damage. If leakage is found and the O-rings are in good repair, there may be a problem with the injector. Replace the injector. Ensure that the new trim codes are installed. Refer to Troubleshooting, "Injector Trim File - Install" for details. If the leakage is not located, add the appropriate dye to the fuel tanks. Run the engine at high idle for several minutes. Shut down the engine and remove the valve covers. Use a black light to check for traces of dye around each injector. If 523602-0 Exhaust Gas Temperature : High Most Severe (3) code is present, it may cause fuel dilution. Troubleshoot the root cause of the code first. 5. Fuel Injector Tip A. Use Cat ET to perform the "Cylinder Cutout Test" to identify any cylinders that may be over fueled. B. A fuel injector tip that is broken or fractured is a possible cause of a cylinder that is being over fueled. If a cylinder is identified by the test, Remove the injector and check the injector tip for damage. Check the fuel injector tip for cracks or breakage. 6. Leakage of Fuel Return Line A. Check for fuel leakage of the fuel return line under the valve cover. 7. Cracked Cylinder Head A. Look for signs of damage to the internal passages for the fuel supply to the injectors in the cylinder head. Check for pin hole leaks. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly. This is my plan of attack. Step 1, Replace all 4 injectors! Thanks @Nige for persuading me into this. Here is how I am addressing the above table: Number 1: It has been 2.5 years since I changed the oil, but I only have 145 hours on the oil itself. I am going to change it after the injector replacement. Number 2: I don't think this applies to me, and I can't really check without the computer. Number 3: This 100 percent applies to me and I think this might be one of the real culprits. I have been running this machine the last 3 years at low load and less then 1800 RPM because of the Fuel Leak Code. Number 4: I will be replacing all seals including rubber, copper and other metal washers with the new injectors. Number 5: New Injectors also addresses this issue. Number 6: I am replacing this line and all seals that are associated with this. Number 7. Let's hope not! The fuel return line is the only thing that goes through the head and it looks like only a very small pathway, maybe an inch or so long. This would be very bad luck if somehow this cracked. I should have new injectors by mid next week, and I will post my results after the install.

  51. #51Nige2025-03-12 19:16

    FYI, from the O&M Manual for your GTC-prefixz machine if it is not accumulating a large number of hours the following recommendations apply....... "The following guidelines should be followed if the service hours are not met: 1. Items listed between 10 and 100 service hours should be performed at least every 3 months. 2. Items listed between 250 and 500 service hours should be performed at least every 6 months. 3. Items listed between 1000 service hours and 2500 service hours should be performed at least every year." Back to that dirty word Maintenance again........

  52. #52Makers Acres2025-03-12 20:39

    Oh, that's good info. Thank you!

  53. #53Nige2025-03-12 20:49

    While you're spending money, click this link to a genuine OEM Operation & Maintenance manual on eBay

  54. #54Makers Acres2025-03-12 21:42

    I do have the service manual and the original paperback manual that came with it. I also tend to forget to check it due to the infrequency of use.

  55. #55Nige2025-03-12 23:18

    My quote above came from the latest online iteration (Dash 25 updated May 2024) of the Operation & Maintenance Manual. If your paper O&M Manual is an earlier version the text it contains with these recommendations may differ. Here's another snippet for you. Again if you don't have the latest version the text may differ somewhat...... The normal oil change interval for the machine is Every 500 Service Hours or every one year provided that all the following conditions are met: An engine oil in the Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Lubricant Viscosities" is used. Cat filters are used. The altitude does not exceed 2300 m (7545 ft). An oil change interval of Every 250 Service Hours or every 6 months is required when any of the following conditions occur: Not using a recommended engine oil in the Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Lubricant Viscosities". Cat filters are not used. The altitude exceeds 2300 m (7545 ft).

  56. #56Makers Acres2025-03-13 14:48

    Thank you! I do use all CAT products and recommended viscosities since I am in a warm climate and don't need to worry about those cold starting temps.

  57. #57ozarkag2025-03-13 19:23

    Good info. We have started recommending oil change intervals of 250 to 300 hrs on all small diesels with 500 hrs book itervals. I have seen total bearing failure at 700 hrs on an oil change. . . . It's just not worth it, oil is cheap. And we do use Mobil 1300, which advertises extended change intervals. One thought on #7 on your list, supply to the injectors is not thru the head, however the connection to the Injector is under the valve cover. A high pressure leak will put a significant amount of fuel in oil.

  58. #58Makers Acres2025-03-14 13:42

    I normally only go about 150 hours on my oil changes, but that normally takes me 2-3 years to get to that point. For number 7, in the manual it was specifically related to the return line that only passes through about 1 inch of the corner of the cylinder head. This would really suck if something there was cracked. I am replacing everything else related to the fuel return lines and the new bushings and o-rings on the high pressure side just to make sure that gets ruled out.

  59. #59Nige2025-03-14 14:20

    500-hour oil changes were only ever introduced as something of a sales gimmick. It all started with Sales Department (I'm talking about manufacturer level here, not dealer) constantly badgering Engineering to "reduce the amount of preventive maintenance work required, it's making us look bad compared to the competition". So Engineering did exactly that, and while doing so put a load of caveats into the O&M Manual as to what type(s) of operating conditions would cause the PM schedule to fall outside "standard". Standard in this case being a 500-hour oil change interval. These included: - Use of lubricants that did not meet the required standard. Use of non-OEM filters (although personally I have an issue with that one) High altitude. Engines operating a very low number of hours per day/week/month, etc. Engines operating at low load factors. The big problem in all this is that generally the customer doesn't read the caveats . Or if they do read them the logic behind the caveats doesn't sink in. All they see is "500-hour oil changes" and thats it. In my work I never ran into this because our machines were generally clocking 500+ hours per month on average. On the other side of the coin I spent a lot of time working in the Andes and believe me trying to convince customers that the fact they were operating at 8,000+ft above sea level required them to reduce oil change frequency from 500 to 250 hours was a very hard sell. Eventually after a lot of badgering by the affected dealers Cat even produced a Special Instruction regarding operating engines at high altitude which made the job of convincing them somewhat easier.

  60. #60ozarkag2025-03-14 14:44

    I saw the reference to fuel supply, and guessed that possibly the cracked head was a cut and paste from a different engine. . . 7. Cracked Cylinder Head A. Look for signs of damage to the internal passages for the fuel supply to the injectors in the cylinder head. Edit: Are you replacing the high pressure supply steel lines to the injectors themselves? Actually, by the book they get replaced every time you undo them. Not that we, (or I suspect most dealers) do that, Its a CYA for the manufacturer. Not to beat a dead horse on this line of reasoning, just don't want to miss a possible cause.

  61. #61Makers Acres2025-03-14 15:06

    Ya, that is probably is true. I looked through the parts manual to trace the fuel path and that was the only place I saw it go through the block on my engine. No, I am not replacing the high pressure lines. That seems a bit ridiculous to me. I am changing the o-rings and copy washers related to the injectors. The fuel lines seem to be metal flared on flared fittings for the most part.

  62. #62Nige2025-03-14 15:16

    Were you aware that the high-pressure lines to the injectors are regarded as being single use only and so should be replaced every time they are removed.? This is because the fuel pressures in that system are so high. The rail pressure relief valve opens at just over 36,000psi, operating pressures are normally 30,000+psi. See attached procedure. Question: How many times have those lines been removed and reinstalled while you have been working on diagnosing the fuel leakage issue.?

  63. #63jrock32025-09-07 15:45

    So what was the fix for the 523602-0 – “Aftertreatment Regeneration Frequency: High.” ???

  64. #64Nige2025-09-07 17:36

    A DPF Regeneration Time Interval Reset must be performed when the 523602-0 High Frequency of Regeneration code is active. Performing this reset will change this code from active to logged. To do that requires ET.

  65. #65jrock32025-09-07 17:56

    So what was the fix for the 523602-0 – “Aftertreatment Regeneration Frequency: High.” That code is automatically generated based on a set number of run hours? So I'm assuming nothing was wrong with the machine. The dpf just needed to be serviced, re-installed and a reset performed as part of the regular maintenance. Did they happen to recall the fuel dilution rate on the oil sample and was a product status report uploaded to this form?

  66. #66Nige2025-09-07 18:16

    Not as far as I can see. It looks as though the Event name is a clue. - “Occurs when the time between completing an active regeneration and starting another active regeneration is within a 30 minute time frame.”

  67. #67jrock32025-09-07 18:20

    That leads me to believe the root cause of this code was never identified, correct?

  68. #68Nige2025-09-07 18:34

    I have no idea. If you read through the thread you will see it’s not my machine. Only the owner can answer your question.

  69. #69jrock32025-09-07 18:49

    I understand. I was just trying to get clarification. I read the post in its entirety and it still left me with questions. It seemed like lots of parts changing without verifying the fault. I believe this code plagues a lot of machines in this genre.

  70. #70Nige2025-09-08 04:26

    I have read through the entire thread again and the machine owner never actually had a 523602-0 Event happen on his machine. The only time that it was mentioned was in Post #51 on Page 3 in a text regarding how to troubleshoot fuel in the engine oil. I suggest that you read that particular post again. What the machine owner was chasing was actually a 1239-1 Event.

  71. #71rsantos32025-10-07 20:39

    How would you know the pressure sensor part number and manuafacture? CAT only gave me for the whole rail assembly 458-9390. They didnt have a part number just for the sensor itself and i dont see one on actual sensor

  72. #72ozarkag2025-10-07 22:46

    Rail and sensor do sell as an assembly. These are made by Denso for Kubota, for Cat. . . Following link is for a Kubota rail used in certain Bobcat models, and is not a cross to the Cat 458-9390. Does give some info on Denso. 7024396 | Fuel Injection Fuel Rail (1J574-50604) - Diesel Pro Order 7024396 | Fuel Injection Fuel Rail (1J574-50604) from Diesel Pro today and get free shipping on orders over $500! mydieselpro.com

  73. #73jrock32025-10-08 20:36

    Has the sensor Been checked for proper operation? Power, ground, signal? I've once seen a restricted pickup inside the fuel tank. Signal voltage KOEO ? Signal voltage during cranking? Signal voltage during Idle? Signal voltage during Snap Throttle?

  74. #74Marin19912026-03-12 21:13

    Hi, I have same issue with my 2018 cat 272d2, crank and no start, no smoke, how did you understand that the pump is bad?

  75. #75ColdBlackWind2026-03-13 08:01

    I acquired the CAT ET software and ran the diagnostics. It showed low cranking fuel pressure. I made sure fuel was getting to the HP pump by cleaning fuel tank, changing all filters and installing a new priming pump and filter. That narrowed it down until I had high confidence it was the HP pump. If you work on your own machine you need CAT ET and SIS. I have a great resource if you are interested.

  76. #76Marin19912026-03-13 09:59

    I’m working with ET also, the pressure is 4600 psi on mine when cranking

  77. #77ColdBlackWind2026-03-13 10:34

    I can’t remember right off hand. Sounds like that was in range for cranking.

  78. #78Nige2026-03-13 11:02

    Didn’t you have an E1239 Event for fuel leakage on your engine.?

  79. #79Nige2026-03-13 12:09

    Could you possibly hook up ET to your machine and take a look.?

  80. #80ColdBlackWind2026-03-13 15:32

    I did. If memory serves i went through the exercise to check any fuel bypassing.

  81. #81Nige2026-03-13 15:34

    The fuel pressure reading from the rail during cranking would be interesting to see.

  82. #82Jrod252026-05-06 13:22

    I. Et you do an event logging or live data display when cranking, you'll see a desired fuel pressure and then the actual fuel pressure. That's how you know if you're meeting what's expected.

  83. #83jrock32026-05-06 14:13

    I have that data in a waveform if interested.

  84. #84Nige2026-05-06 14:24

    All it needs is a screenshot from ET showing the Desired and Actual Injection Actuation Pressure values during cranking. That tells you everything you need to know. If the AIAP never reaches the DIAP there will be no smoke from the chimney.

  85. #85jrock32026-05-06 14:35

    From idle to high idle then back to high idle.

  86. #86Jrod252026-05-06 15:22

    Nige, I have the same code, ET says it's only happened twice, and many hours ago. I ended up replacing the fuel rail limiter, and all four of the injectors were leaking really bad on the overflow line. I didn't really smell fuel in the oil. But with my basic ET testing to me it seems like it's not clogged, or in bad condition, however I failed to get the ash reading and I will get those. But my question (1 of 2) 1. If the (dpf) in good condition (cleaned) does it really need to be removed and cleaned? (It also has the 3000 hours required cleaning notice on the display) 2. In my case would you consider it safe to do the reset for the 523602-0 code I have? Below are some notes from my testing if you want to read them: Cat ET shows soot values at 8 g / 4 g / 9 g. SIS says regen is requested when any one reaches 21 g, so soot load is below the regen threshold. DPF differential pressure is about 0.13–0.50 psi, below the SIS trigger range of 0.9–1.5 psi. Temps rose to roughly 400–420°F, but Cat ET still shows Regeneration Not Needed and Regeneration Not Active. No active 3701-15, 3701-16, or 3701-0 codes, so it is not showing Parked Regen Required, Manual Regen Required, or DPF Service Required.

  87. #87Jrod252026-05-06 15:24

    i hope I didn't post in the wrong place, didn't me to high jack and thread

  88. #88Nige2026-05-06 16:08

    Question: Is the 523602-0 Code Active or Logged.?

  89. #89Jrod252026-05-06 16:44

    I would say active. I was trying to see if it was safe to move to logged (reset) to see if it came back or not. Based on what I could see in ET, it hasn't tried to do a regen in a long time, since before this, get your head issues from what I could tell according to what the old owner told me, it's third-party info,, he said she said...,

  90. #90Nige2026-05-06 17:19

    From the screen shot definitely Active. See my earlier comments regarding how to turn it into a Logged Event.

  91. #91Jrod252026-05-06 18:15

    Yes I saw that, I was just trying to confirm it's ok in my case. There is conflicting messages between the sis troubleshooting doc and Et, in the sis doc it sounds like it's ok to reset it, but in et when you click on reset it states "do not reset unless the dpf has been cleaned"

  92. #92Nige2026-05-06 19:25

    You need one of the TIER 4 experts to advise you on that. What % soot loading is the DPF showing right now.?

  93. #93Jrod252026-05-06 21:06

    This summary data is from a 20-30 minute run. DPF differential pressure: about 0.13–0.50 psi. SIS DPF differential pressure regen trigger range: 0.9–1.5 psi. DPF soot loading: about 39–42%. DPF soot mass: 8 g. DPF soot mass #1: 4 g. DPF soot mass #2: 9 g. DPF regen level: Regeneration Not Needed. DPF regen status: Regeneration Not Active. DPF regen progress: 0%. Active regen inhibited: mostly Not Inhibited, with a brief Inhibited reading near the end. DOC intake temp: up to about 420°F. DPF intake temp: up to about 420°F. DPF outlet temp: up to about 400–420°F

  94. #94Chrisso2026-05-13 15:03

    If the latest software was in your machine ECM and display monitor, the 3000 hour "DPF requires cleaning" service reminder wouldn't be there. If you had the latest version of the Operation & Maintenance Manual, you'll see the DPF Cleaning has moved from the 3000hr section to the "As Required" section. This is because plenty of DPF's go more than 3000 hours. Plenty go less too, lots of factors involved. Will the old software trigger the 523602-0 Events automatically at 3000 hours? I don't know, but it might. If you've had fuel dilution issues then I would say your engine would benefit from a DPF clean anyway. No. Not unless you've had the DPF cleaned. It screws up the regen logic that controls burns. So in a nutshell, you need software. After that, if you still get 523602 events, you need the DPF cleaned and someone with ET on a laptop to run a soot load reset. Good luck!

  95. #95Makers Acres2026-05-29 12:56

    What are you using to read codes? Did you buy the actual CAT software and dongle or go a different path? You can message me directly if you don't want to answer in an open forum.

  96. #96Makers Acres2026-05-29 12:59

    I still am chasing the ghost in the machine. Drained and fully cleaned the tank again, replaced all hoses and fittings on the tank. Replaced all injectors. Ran great for about a 15 hours or about a month of my use. It started giving the errors again. A couple days ago, I used the machine and I ran it for about 3 hours with zero issues. Then I went to park the machine and it constantly was throwing the errors at low idle. Restarted the machine and the error popped up continuously. This has happened a number of times now where it will work for a few hours and then all I get is error messages. So frustrating.