Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2014 Cat 6n maintenance advise

J&R Con · 2025-05-06 23:34

Just bought a 6n sight unseen from an online auction, got it delivered today and ran it a few hours. No active codes, everything seems to function good, transmission seems good (definitely different coming from hydrostatic Deere). 7900 hours. I don’t know anything about these, what should I do or check before I put it to work? Anything specific? Only thing that was a little worrisome to see is the track frame has been rewelded (see pic), wonder what would have happened for it to need that? Soot level says 41%, is that good? The emissions crap on the head looks to have been replaced. Anyone know of a good aftermarket site to get parts? Needs a panel, some latches, and an angle cylinder guard.

Replies20
  1. #1Nige2025-05-07 00:57

    Get an Operation & Maintenance Manual. They can be downloaded for around $50. Post a Serial Number to help locate the right one.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2025-05-07 07:30

    Can’t really make out where it’s welded, need a better picture. I tried to magnify and still can’t make it out.

  3. #3Sberry2025-05-07 09:43

    A repair done well is a good thing. This is only semi related but good for equipment. My bud was selling a car, he is a master, He got the lowball stuff and one guy says,,, well it seems you worked on it. He says,,, yes as a matter of fact I replace all the timing on the front and some rockers etc and guy walks,,, well,,, seems he would rather have a 200K used car with original gaskets in it vs one with all new,,, so,,, I often look at good repair as an asset.

  4. #4Sberry2025-05-07 09:44

    I like that machine.

  5. #5Nige2025-05-07 10:44

    Usually wear in the Equalizer bar end pins along with wear in the pivot shaft bushings. Lack of maintenance in other words. Post some close-up photos of the repair please.

  6. #6J&R Con2025-05-07 11:28
  7. #7J&R Con2025-05-07 11:30

    Where’s the serial number at on a 6n? Found the trans number

  8. #8J&R Con2025-05-07 11:31

    .

  9. #9Nige2025-05-07 11:54

    Got the machine S/N from the transmission S/N, provided of course the transmission has not been replaced. You have PER00625, built March 2014. You can double check using the engine Serial Number which sould be C8N-something. The machine S/N plate may be obscured by the ripper. Even if the plate is missing the Serial Number should be stamped on the machine frame in the same location.

  10. #10Nige2025-05-07 11:58

    The Operation & Maintenance Manual is SEBU8594. You can download a copy for $52 from the Cat Pubs web site simply by putting SEBU8594 in the Search box.

  11. #11Nige2025-05-07 12:00

    Regarding the track frame cracks there is an update procedure to install reinforcement plates, gussets, and rework certain welds. See attached.

  12. #12J&R Con2025-05-07 13:38

    Awesome thanks Nige, I’ll get it downloaded and start reading in it. And I guess that serial would make sense now seeing those numbers painted on the rops! lol Kinda of a a relief knowing the track frame is just a manufacturing weakness, and not that it fell off a truck or something haha.

  13. #13Nige2025-05-07 14:33

    Yup. There it was staring you in the face all the time, but of course you weren't to know that it was S/N.

  14. #14J&R Con2025-05-07 22:14

    Anyway to tighten up the hinges on the side doors? Like the doors around the cab for the battery compartment and such. The hinges are worn and letting the door sag. Do you have to replace that whole door or can you just replace the rod in the hinge maybe?

  15. #15J&R Con2025-05-07 22:30

    Also Nige have you checked out the Cat Central App? Just add your machine and it’s super easy to order parts and they provide the manual for free.

  16. #16Nige2025-05-07 23:07

    Generally to get a hinge on something like a sheet metal door you have to buy a complete new door assembly. It looks like the hinge assembly for the battery compartment door is available though.

  17. #17J&R Con2025-05-07 23:20

    I see yeah, bummer since that would get expensive quick. Hey what parts catalog are you using?

  18. #18Nige2025-05-07 23:34

    That is from Cat's SIS system.

  19. #19J&R Con2025-05-08 08:25

    Ok, I just tried to login in and it says I need to be approved by the dealer?

  20. #20Nige2025-05-08 08:33

    That is correct.