Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2014 JCB 3CX Fuel Issues, not starting without starting fluid.

hillside876 · 2025-02-09 00:37

I have a 2014 Jcb 3cx that's starting to give some random issues. first, it was return line restrictions,( fixed by replacing the injector return lines). Next, it started having problems starting, I would prime the lift pump by turning the ignition on and off about 3 times to make it run. third, the lift pump started sticking so I replaced it and replaced all the fuel filters. Since replacing the filters and lift pump the machine no longer starts without a quick starter being sprayed in the intake. Once started the machine will work if I keep the rpm under 2000, once I get above 2000 it shuts off and will only re-start with a quick starter immediately after shutting off. I didn't see any visible leaks, I'm assuming it might be an air leak but I can't pinpoint it.

Replies6
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-02-09 06:31

    Whelp, maybe its just that the girl likes her crack. So seriously, I remember my uncle explaining diesels to me when he came over with his dozer, to help make my mom a garden down below. It was after my dad bought this land in 74’ and I remember him calling it a date in a can. I was 5 and couldn’t quite grasp his concept, my mom wasn’t amused but he explained how his girl could get addicted to date in a can. It happens. Nah you got an air leak. Could be the copper washers or something else. Sometimes they seal themselves for a while. I do remember an old Ford 7.3 and that damn thing wouldn’t get up, without a lil crack. Lol Check all your hose clamps, I always use Gasoilia on my fittings whether barbed or threaded. Is there and fuel bu the injectors?

  2. #2thepumpguysc2025-02-09 08:25

    Good question HH.. On a lot of these machines now, the injector return line runs back into the filter head.. So if the INJECTOR RETURN is picking up air, it’s feeding it into the filter head and into the inj pump.. Just something to think about.

  3. #3hillside8762025-02-09 11:49

    the return line feeds into the fuel pump and then to the tank

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-02-10 08:25

    Do you have any fuel leaking anywhere? How is your blow by, and have you considered checking your fuel pressure. Before I shot some more either at it, beg, borrow or find a jump pack, thats good, and give your battery an extra boost and see if that makes a difference starting.

  5. #5hillside8762025-02-11 15:30

    purchased a new battery, still same, it got worse after changing the lift pump, so I'm leaning to a airleak, I'll search some more and see if I can find it

  6. #6Simon C2025-02-11 21:17

    Put 2 Psi into the fuel tank with a blow gun and a rag ball over the fuel inlet. Will need to get help from someone to do this. Don't over pressurize or you will have a bath. Anything leaking before the transfer pump will probably start leaking out. If it leaks somewhere fix it and retest in case of more than 1 leak (sucking air when running ). Hope it helps