Hi, I am looking at purchasing a 2016 Cat 301.7D CR with an open ROPS canopy. I will need to store it for the winter in a garage with a 7’ tall door. Does anyone know what is required to remove the ROPS system for long term storage? Can the machine be moved while the ROPS is off? I am planning to remove and reinstall right after pulling it out for the season. The seller doesn’t know and I am buying it remotely for personal non-commercial use. I found a 400 page manual online and went through it. All it says is to not remove it. Thank you in advance for the help!
There is nothing specific in the manuals regarding a procedure to remove the ROPS as far as I can see. There must be certain major repair procedures that require it to be removed for access reasons. It only fixes to the machine frame with 8 bolts. Can you see/access all of those bolts.? IMO the recommendation of not removing the ROPS would most likely be for operational reasons, not for storage of the machine as you propose. Obviously you would need to take care when moving the machine in and out of the storage building with no ROPS installed.
Thanks for the reply. The gentleman I am purchasing it from is telling me that it can be removed by taking out 4 bolts. I assume for liability purposes that CAT does not clearly state how to do it. My local CAT dealer would only say they had heard of it being done. I am being over cautious I think but ‘buyer beware’ especially with a remote purchase…
I'm not so sure. They generally only do procedures for tasks that are more complex than simply removing 4 bolts.
That makes sense, thanks. My industry is the opposite of that. It keeps simple product changes that effect safety as hidden as possible.
The only thing I can suggest is to make sure to tighten the bolts correctly when reinstalling. I get the impression that they are over-specced for the application because there isn't even a detailed torque specification for them, so they would be simply torqued to the general torque spec table based on the bolt diameter.
I watched a video on YouTube where a guy took a Rops off a cat 304.5 to work on it. Didnt show him unbolting it. Looks like it can be done at least on that machine.
Parts Manual does not show much. The 4 bolts #5 fix the ROPS in place. Washers #6 are listed as "special" so don't lose them...........
Thank you so much! I appreciate the help!!!