Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2017 JD 410L Coolant Low?

Michael Gates · 2022-02-13 12:46

I busted a small hose and lost coolant. I replaced the hose, and then added coolant. It's at the proper level, but I still get errors saying coolant is low. I know in a vehicle, you have to burp the coolant system, but am not sure about the 410L. I just bought the JD about 2 months ago. Not very familiar with one this size. It came with an owners manual that was so wet and destroyed, there was no way to read it. You'd think for something that costs more than any vehicle I've ever bought, they'd give me one, but they want $150. So I'll be getting one soon. I have the repair manual, but it doesn't say much about it except refer to the owners manual.

Replies20
  1. #1mg23612022-02-14 04:41

    Welcome to HEF Mike ! Do you know how to clear the codes?

  2. #2Michael Gates2022-02-14 09:14

    Hi mg. Interesting fact: I just moved from PA to Myrtle/Loris. I did not know that the S and A meant stored/active. I do NOT know how to clear codes yet. I'm assuming that's in the owners manual you don't get as an owner! LOL So that would explain why it's still there. I'll look up to see how to clear codes. All of my codes going through them: A - DEF CONCENTRATION VERY S - NO CAN FROM MTG COMMUNICATION FAULT S - DEF DOSING HEATER FAULT S - DEF PUMP COMMUNICATION FAULT S - WATER IN FUEL CIRCUIT FAULT S - FAN SPEED VERY LOW So you made my day. All 5 S's can be cleared. A branch went through the right side into the fan. Didn't damage the fan, but stopped it and ripped through a coolant hose which I fixed. From what I understand, DEF issues will shut down the machine. Thanks, I'm looking forward to having a group to discuss with since I'm new to the area and know nobody with expertise on this.

  3. #3mg23612022-02-14 11:58

    Nope, it is not. Press and hold the menu button for approximately 5 seconds. The word "Service Menu" should appear in the screen. Release the button, then scroll to codes. You will get a third option to clear the codes. Also post the code (#s) with the "A". The one you posted that says DEF Concentration very.

  4. #4Michael Gates2022-02-14 13:49

    Awesome! When I get back to the land, I'll clear them. Here's the A code.

  5. #5Tinkerer2022-02-14 14:10

    Welcome to HEF, Michael !

  6. #6Michael Gates2022-02-14 15:54

    Thanks!!!

  7. #7mg23612022-02-15 05:03

    With a 3516.01 code the first thing I would do since you do not have a refractometer to check DEF quality is to turn the key on (engine off), drain the tank. Turn the key off. In your case before I would fill it I would want to make sure the tank is clean. You can flush the tank with de-mineralized water or clean DEF fluid. Do not use tap water. Then when done cleaning, fill the tank with brand new DEF. Then key on. See if the code goes to stored. Post a serial number please.

  8. #8Michael Gates2022-02-15 06:48

    I'll try to get out there tomorrow evening to work on it. I'll post an update, and take a picture of the serial number. Thanks!

  9. #9Michael Gates2022-02-16 14:35

    dumb Question where is the serial number? I can only find this. Trying def flush now.

  10. #10Michael Gates2022-02-16 15:31

    Tried it. Still getting the error. Is there a filter or a sensor that could be failing?

  11. #11Michael Gates2022-02-16 15:35

    Holy crap!!! It worked! I started it, let it run. Stopped it and turned it on a few times and let it on. Then I saw the a turned to s!!!! You saved the day mg!!!!!!!!!!! Next time in pa I’ll hit you up for some dinner or a beer. Platonically lol

  12. #12Steve Favia2022-02-16 16:09

    Excellent glad it worked,really good people here welcome.

  13. #13mg23612022-02-17 04:46

    Glad to hear it is resolved. And yes, that is the machine serial number you posted.

  14. #14Michael Gates2022-02-24 15:17

    Ok, so it started again today. Here are the codes. Is it a sensor or pump issue possibly?

  15. #15Michael Gates2022-02-24 15:19

    One more

  16. #16mg23612022-02-25 04:41

    The MTG code you can ignore. The DEF code is what is creating the engine speed limitation. I checked your serial number and your machine is still within the warranty period for emissions. So I would call your dealer. Why pay for something that is still under warranty?

  17. #17Michael Gates2022-02-25 07:14

    I’m the second owner. I wonder if that matters. I’ll give them a call, thanks!

  18. #18Michael Gates2022-03-04 08:51

    Hey MG, I called my dealer, and he looked it up and said basically from everything I've done, levels, etc., it could be one of two things: 1) The hose or something is obstructed or the sensor is bad/dirty. I've looked on the jd parts site https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc...JT04sMTI5MDojQ0FUQUxPRyw3MDM5NDpFUVVJUE1FTlRd and can't find out which sensor it is. I see a few sensors in the exhaust gas after treatment section, but don't want to just buy one yet since they're about $600. I read that disconnecting it, or the electronics, cleaning, and then plugging back in is a big help since this failure is common. But I'm not sure where it is exactly. What are the chances something is obstructed? I drained and cleaned with DEF and it resolved the problem for a couple hours. Do you think that indicates anything? I hate to go through $40 of DEF for every couple hours of use. The parts are under warranty, but I believe you have to use their techs. They do of course, offer service, which is $135/hour + $3.25/mile. This is a hobby, hence why I'm not excited about dishing out a lot of money, although it would be nice to just get it resolved. Anything you suggest I try, I'd be glad to. If you know what parts they are, let me know so I can find them. I'm not familiar with the DEF system at all. Thanks! Appreciate the help. I don't like digging with shovels.

  19. #19mg23612022-03-04 11:57

    I usually check the power and the ground to the DEF header as well as the "CAN" communication to the header. If you see DEF fluid level in your dash then power, ground and communication are most likely good. You are most likely going to need a DEF Header. The link I provided will take you to the screen shot I attached. Unfortunately you are still going to need a tech to come out. There is a Deere solution (Deere speak for service bulletin) that addresses this issue and it has you replacing the DEF header with a new style and the software in the ECU also has to be updated (which requires a Deere tech). https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/70394/referrer/search/pgId/577585684

  20. #20Michael Gates2022-03-29 08:06

    Finally got a tech out there. Took three weeks--they are extremely busy, and last week, THEIR OWN DEF system went out in one of their trucks. They replaced the header, and it should be under warranty. We'll see what the bill is. Great tech, friendly, know's his heavy equipment, and I'm now back to work! Speaking of "back"... my back is killing me!