Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2018 Case TV450 sudden shutdown followed by crank but no start

Shoe3669 · 2025-01-29 21:02

2018 Case TV450 SN#NJM458237 Was brush hogging and machine suddenly shut down, no symptoms of any problems prior to shutdown. Now it won’t start - cranks but will not fire. Typically when I turn the power on, before cranking, I can hear what sounds like a fuel pump running - I don’t hear that anymore. This machine has the hand pump primer, so I’m not sure what I’ve been hearing but I always assumed it was a small fuel pump - if that’s what it is, I can’t seem to locate it to determine if it’s not getting power. I’ve also noticed that one or more relays are clicking when cranking, not sure if that is normal or indicative of the problem. I put a new battery in to check that off as the old battery was 4 years old. I tried a little ether to see if that would get it going, it acted like it wanted to start but never really took off. After this happened, occasionally when cranking I get a 3089 error code. It does not happen every time, and only seems to occur after extending cranking. I think those are all the symptoms I’ve encountered. Any ideas?

Replies4
  1. #1KSSS2025-01-29 21:22

    I would look up that code, it should be in your manual and that may change which way you go next It sounds like a fuel issue. The easiest, cheapest is to replace the big fuel filter up by the air filter and the water fuel separator filter and see what you get. It could be the fuel pump but I would change the filters out first. Don't use Ether.

  2. #2Samarskii_ma2025-01-30 02:42
  3. #3Shoe36692025-03-26 15:34

    Update: Had the dealer come out and look at it, they couldn't find the problem in the field and had to haul it back to their shop. Ended up being a bad High Pressure Fuel Pump. They are wanting $3,800 for the part, and $3,100 in labor to install it. Seems high to me, but maybe I'm out of the loop. Does anyone have input on that pricing? I'm already into it $2,700 for their time and effort to get it to their shop and diagnose. Total bill I'm looking at is $9,600

  4. #4KSSS2025-03-26 18:22

    Well a reasonable cost to pick the machine up and haul it to the shop is fair as would the cost of a service call. The cost to diagnose it, is on them. I have never been charged for that time. That is why their mechanics should be trained, they have codes, they have a process to diagnose these issues. If your pump went out, you should have got a code, I think it is ACR. I would negotiate the cost down. As I look at my last post on this, I called it as a possible fuel pump. No reason they couldn't have got that figured out on scene, almost immediately. If you haven't, change out all your fuel filters. Call a couple Case dealers (Titan or whomever may be near by. I would price the pump and speak to a service manager at another dealer to see what they want to install it.