Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

2020 Cat 299D3XE Land management

Connor Gardiner · 2022-06-28 11:54

Hi I need some help our machine is throwing codes: 523601-0 (high e.g.t temperature) 3246-0 (D.P.F High Outlet temp) The machine will start then go to about 3/4-7/8 throttle and runs all auxiliary fans. After approximately 10 minutes it goes back down to idle, I would go back to running the machine but I am afraid it’s going to go into limp mode and lock me into the cab. Please help

Replies13
  1. #1Connor Gardiner2022-06-28 12:04

    S/N is :CAT0299DVBX901985

  2. #2Nige2022-06-28 12:43

    First thing I would suggest is to confirm the Exhaust temperature sensor reading using a non-contact thermometer on the engine wherever the EGT sensor is located. See if the attached is any help.

  3. #3Connor Gardiner2022-06-28 20:29

    Thank you Nile I’m sorry to take y’all’s time we are having the machine shipped off to our family dealer first thing next week to be repaired for faulty sensors.

  4. #4Nige2022-06-29 06:24

    The machine itself may well be out of warranty by now but AFAIK the emissions aftertreatment system is warranted separately for 5 years/3000 hours. Just take care that you don't get rooted with an invoice for a repair that should have been covered under the emissions warranty.

  5. #5Connor Gardiner2023-04-14 12:04

    Hey y’all, I’m back again. Machines being an absolute pain in my ass, I’ve dealt with this exact same scr code for over a year now. Pulled my machine out of the shop to go grade some driveways with and after abt 2 hours of operation I received error code: 4364-1 Aftertreatment #1 SCR Catalyst Conversion Efficiency Low - Most Severe (3) At this point I’ve probably had this code up to 2 dozen times since I brought the machine home from the dealer (350 miles away from my home) and they stated that I need to bring the machine back down to their dealer again. At my expense after the dealer under 60 miles away stated that they wouldn’t service me due to the fact that I purchased my machine from a seperate dealer. I’m willing to give it one more shot but at this point I’m seriously considering deleting the SCR/DPF. I’m only holding back on it because I don’t know how illegal it is, and the machine is going to go back to working government jobs so I don’t know if they’ll check my machine for the factory emissions equipment. If anyone has a diagram of the SCR/DPF they could send my way it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise if anyone knows of trade in options please let me know. Thanks again

  6. #6Tones2023-04-14 16:59

    My understanding is that in the States the enviro nazis will be all over you like a rash if you are court with a deleted engine.

  7. #7Nige2023-04-14 19:30

    Add to that no dealer will work on it unless you agree to have all the bypassed exhaust aftertreatment equipment restored to 100% working order first - at your expense. Really need some input from the TIER 4 experts. Attached the procedure for troubleshooting the NOx sensor. See pages 3 & 4.

  8. #8CM19952023-04-14 19:42

    So one Cat dealer refused to work on it because you bought it from another Cat dealer? Interesting. I see Yancey stickered machines at Thompson all the time, don't know if they are warranting them or just working on them. Do you need a 299 sized machine? We run 279's to stay away from the DEF problems you are experiencing.

  9. #9KSSS2023-04-14 20:44

    You shouldn't be restricted to having the dealer you bought it from being your only option for having it worked on, warranty or not. I would be calling the service manager at the dealership that refused to work on it and work your way up from there. I would not delete it, especially where your at and working on government jobs. Your asking for big problems. If you can't get this resolved soon, I would start looking for another machine. Easier said than done I know, and until its working, your likely to get killed on trade in value, but you have to be able to trust the machine to start earning its keep. It appears to me that may not be possible with this machine.

  10. #10OLDDODGETRUCKS2025-02-02 23:15

    Connor did you ever get this issue resolved? I'm fighting a similar problem on a 2020 299D3XE BX901013 looking for some help. My symptoms are no active codes during warm up and normal run time, after about 45 minutes of normal operation the 4364-1 (Aftertreatment #1 SCR Catalyst Conversion Efficiently Low Most severe (3)) comes up. I have Sis/ET and have followed the troubleshooting procedure SMCS-191N-035 with no smoking gun. Per the procedure here are my results: -No other codes active only 4364-1 -Confirmed sensors are in the correct locations Grey on top (Post) Black on bottom (Pre) -Def quality is good per cat test kit and 2 gallons of fresh recently added -No visual leaks or kinks in DEF Lines -Def Dosing system verification test in ET successful pump cycles (New filter) -Def nozzle has no signs of crystals on the tip -Aftertreatment SCR System dosing test in ET OK nozzle appears to be spraying ok and produces 100ML (Spec 90-110 ML). I noticed while monitoring and during a manual regen the NOX sensors only read zero PPM most of the time. I have seen the pre sensor read 350ish PPM during a regen while it was dosing but that's it. I'm hoping some of the above Tier 4 experts can weigh in here, is this normal? DEF injector wire harness pigtail replaced per the service bulletin with 437-1451 wire kit (no signs of corrosion when stripping old harness) Should i be chasing NOX sensor issues? Def injector? Any input is appreciated.

  11. #11reganj2025-02-03 20:42

    Original Poster OP has not been on here since 2023

  12. #12OLDDODGETRUCKS2025-02-03 21:52

    Yea I know it’s an older thread, but figured it was worth a shot being that the symptoms are very similar.

  13. #13CM19952025-02-04 09:17

    ODT you may want to start your own thread in Compact Track Loaders. Best of luck.