Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 299C Park Brake won’t release

Cat299C · 2022-06-29 21:48

Park Brake won't release when pushing the park brake switch. The diamond with ! flashes. The door, seat and armrest switches are working and the lift arms and bucket hydraulics will activate but the park brake won't release. I believe it is either the switch, the park brake solenoid, or the harness (no sign of damage to the harness). I removed the park brake solenoid and the resistance reads 7.3 ohms (don't know if that is within spec or not). I have purchased a new switch as it was not too pricey, but the park brake solenoid only comes with the hydraulic assembly to the tune of $300+ and is not returnable. I do not have the right side display, so I can't download error codes (think I may add that to the machine for future diagnostics). Appreciate any thoughts including whether the park brake solenoid resistance is within spec. Serial # is JSP02048

Replies50
  1. #1Nige2022-06-30 05:58

    If you want to start checking wiring and need an electrical schematic please ask. Corrosion and/or damp in connectors is alway a possibility, especially on the electronic controls that are under the floor.

  2. #2Nige2022-06-30 06:21

    Does it have a Part Number on it.? EDIT: Scratch that. The complete valve is listed as a 278-8743 and the solenoid is not listed separately so there is no specification available for it.

  3. #3alpine7402022-07-06 23:00

    Well, I installed the new park brake solenoid today and still have the same issue. When I start the machine, I have the yellow diamond with the ! inside flashing before I even press the park brake release switch. It’s either detecting an error at startup or there is an error code stored that needs to be cleared. Is there a way to reset the error codes? I disconnected the battery and will see in the morning if that did any good. Otherwise, I may have an issue somewhere in the harness or inside the ECU (which I hear is rare). Any other thoughts or ideas are welcome!

  4. #4heymccall2022-07-07 00:35

    I think you may have joystick sensor issue. If the lever isn't indicating neutral to ECM, the park brake won't release, and the exclamation will flash. I really don't think it's in the park brake circuit, your issue.

  5. #5alpine7402022-07-07 00:52

    Okay, thanks for that! Would it likely do any good to wiggle the left joystick around? Anyway to test without Cat ET?

  6. #6Nige2022-07-07 04:49

    Does your monitor panel look like this.?

  7. #7alpine7402022-07-07 08:27

    Nige, unfortunately I don’t have the right side monitor. I plan to order one today from the dealer. I have the service manual, but I understand that I need the monitor you show above to display the diagnostic codes. I guess I’m dead in the water until I get the display. Hopefully they can program it to my machine with me giving them the serial number as I have no way of loading it onto a trailer.

  8. #8Nige2022-07-07 08:54

    You can buy the monitor alone but you also need a kit to install it. We had someone before who mistakenly bought just the monitor then found there was a lot more besides that was required. The machine ECM (not the monitor) has to be programmed i order to recognize the monitor panel, so the kit has to be installed first then hook ET up to it and do the necessary configuration. There is a Special Instruction showing the required parts and the installation/configuration procedure. Let me try and find a copy of it. I'll post it up and you can see for yourself. EDIT: The Kit I mentioned above is for D-Series machines but not C-Series. I can't remember if the C-Series has something similar, TBH the way I recalled it was that for both C & D-Series machines the kit & procedure was the same. Obviously that is not the case.

  9. #9Nige2022-07-07 09:17

    Right, the procedure for a C-Series is much simpler than a D-Series but still requires more than just the monitor panel. It also requires the Machine ECM configuration to be changed in order to recognize the panel after installation, and the latest available software has to be installed in the AMICS Monitor Panel itself. See attached, pages 8 & 9.

  10. #10Nige2022-07-07 09:41

    From the document I posted above........ The 264-8861 P/N AMICS Display Module has updated to 364-6336. The latest software P/N for the AMICS is shown as 434-2352. There is also a 363-8111 Group listed that comprises the 364-6336 AMICS with the 434-2352 software already flashed into it. Your dealer may or may not be able to get hold of that P/N.

  11. #11Cat299C2022-07-13 21:56

    Thought I'd share an update - I bought the optional display (part number 346-6336) that Nige referenced above and got it installed today. Turns out it was plug and play. I was able to enter the service mode and have two active codes (2474-3 and 2476-3). Had a couple of logged codes as well (681-5, 70-3, 2685-8, and 2686-8). Working my way down the service modes, I noticed that the left joystick showed 100% when in neutral for both the X-axis and the Y-axis and it did not change when I moved the joystick. The right joystick showed 0% in neutral for both the X-axis and Y-axis. The percentages changed on the display for each axis when I moved the right joystick. I also noticed that the park brake switch stayed with a number 1 on the display and did not change when I depressed the switch. I believe that heymccall was correct when he indicated I likely had an issue with the left joystick. I have followed the wires from the speed sensors up under the belly and the wires under the left joystick and haven't found any signs of wear. Starting to think that I need a new left joystick base (456-0169) $500+. Any further thoughts / advice would be much appreciated!

  12. #12Nige2022-07-14 05:00

    2474-3 and 2476-3 both relate to the position sensors for the left joystick. Before condemning the base I suggest you try both these testing procedures and see where they get you. Note: Unless all the position sensors are reading correctly (0% with the joysticks in neutral) the ECM will not permit the Park Brake switch to change status from 1 (On) to 0 (Off).

  13. #13Nige2022-07-14 05:12

    Your Logged Codes are: - 681-5 - Parking Brake Solenoid, current below normal. 70-3 - Parking Brake Switch, both inputs open circuit. (The park brake switch is a 2-pole switch. At any given time one contact should be grounded and the other contact should be open circuit. The 70-3 Code comes up if the ECM detects that both contacts are open circuit at the same time.) 2685-8 & 2686-8 - LH drive motor speed sensors (#1 & #2) incorrect signal.

  14. #14Nige2022-07-14 11:23

    I forgot to mention it before. If you would like an electrical schematic to assist with your troubleshooting please ask.

  15. #15Cat299C2022-07-14 20:53

    Nige, thanks for that; I actually have the electrical schematic. Looking at it, the power circuit (126-CH24 PK-16) feeding the left joystick goes from fuse #9 thru connector #23. I can't find where connector #23 is located as it doesn't come up on the machine location diagram. Any help here much appreciated! The signal wire circuits (E848-C158 GN-18) and (E847-C157 GY-18) terminate on connector J2 at the ECU (pins 33 & 34 respectively). I see two large connector blocks bolted to the ECU but can't tell which one is J1 and which one is J2. Presumably, I will be able to read the pin numbers once I unbolt the connector from the ECU? Any help here also much appreciated!

  16. #16Nige2022-07-15 04:55

    I must have a later schematic than you then because it shows up on mine. I'll send you a copy, keep an eye on your PMs. TBH ECMs can be installed oriented in all sorts of ways so I always identify J1 & J2 from the electrical schematic working from wire colours and numbers. The pin numbers are actually on the outside of the harness connector but are very small and if you don't look closely they are easy to miss. Below is a 12-pin connector to give you an idea where they are, right next to where the wires go into the connector.

  17. #17JASON SIMON2022-07-16 12:33

    It looks like you may have already found a culprit in your joystick, but just in case you didn't see this thread, I had a similar issue with the same machine. Long story short, it was the parking brake switch. I performed surgery on it and cleaned up the contacts and it has been working ever since. Not suggesting this is also the cause of your issue, but just know these switches tend to corrode over time. I also had a similar issue with my quick attach release switch. Fixed it the same way. HeavyEquipmentForums

  18. #18Cat299C2022-07-19 23:21

    Thought I share an update - the Cat is working again! Thanks for the help getting this one figured out! I installed a new left joystick base today, plugged it in and started it up. The machine ran like new again. I had read where I may need to get the new joystick base calibrated, but I did not.

  19. #19weareweird692023-06-06 06:46

    I know this post is almost a year old, but would like to thank Nige for posting the information on the display. I have a 287C, without the 2 speed, and without the display, and know that the display and gauges are a very useful item to have in the machine. Ill likely order the install kit and hopefully mine is plug and play so I dont have to have someone with ET program it!

  20. #20Nige2023-06-06 09:35

    For an C Series machine that is much simpler to upgrade than an D, annother option is to buy a used display. Someone a while back bought a second-hand one from their dealer which of course had software already installed. That was also a plug & play job.

  21. #21weareweird692023-06-06 09:48

    I sure hope mine is. A new display setup is around 1,400 at my cost since I’m a peon. I don’t have ET so I can’t program the machine myself, so that would be more money. I know a few people with ET, but they are busy most of the time and I hate to bother them when I need something. Even if I pay them. I guess I’m gonna have to keep my eyes open for a used setup, I have no idea where to look though, as I don’t think our dealer (Cleveland Brothers) part machines out.

  22. #22Nige2023-06-06 09:51

    I don't think the dealer where the other guy got his display parted machines out either. IIRC he simply went into their Parts Dept and asked about used parts of the number mentioned a few posts above. The display came from somewhere else within the Cat organization.

  23. #23weareweird692023-06-06 10:04

    Well, I guess I’m going to have to try that! Local dealer is about a 5 minutes away thankfully.

  24. #24Nige2023-06-06 10:13

    Go in, play the innocent........ Ask them if they can search for a used Part # xxxxxx.

  25. #25weareweird692023-06-08 18:50

    NOTHING used anywhere I check... Gonna have to pony up and buy a new one, but thats gonna have to wait lol

  26. #26cfpinz2023-06-14 15:02

    That would be me. 264-8861 is the part number for the display itself. Carter Cat was able to provide a used one from their Salem, VA location I believe. $250. Give them a call, what do you have to lose?

  27. #27weareweird692023-06-14 19:47

    What did that part number get you? The gauges and also display?

  28. #28Nige2023-06-14 20:03

    That Part Number is the complete digital RH panel complete with LCD gauges and indicators. This panel was an option for machines such as yours when new but not all customers purchased it. There is a newer Part Number 346-6336 that you could also ask about. It is the replacement for 264-8861. EDIT: It takes you from this........ to this...........

  29. #29weareweird692023-06-14 20:56

    That could be why the newer part number isn’t easily located. The older one is probably more available. I have a full BLANK on mine. The “from” photo you showed is the left side indicator I believe. I’ll call them tomorrow and see if they can locate an older one. That might be more promising!

  30. #30cfpinz2023-06-15 07:36

    That part number is for the module only. There is a kit which includes 4 screws, 4 washers, a creeper switch and the monitor. I ordered the other parts separately, though I've not gotten the creeper function to work in my machine. https://parts.cat.com/en/carter/264-8861

  31. #31weareweird692023-06-15 08:09

    I was curious if the creep function would work. I know the 2 speed models that come with the display and creeper mode have different final drives.

  32. #32Nige2023-06-15 09:50

    IIRC the creeper function activation requires intervention with Cat ET. Without the switch present it would generate a Diagnostic Code if activated, so the switch has to be installed first then the system can be activated without creating a nuisance Code.

  33. #33cfpinz2023-06-15 10:02

    That would make sense. I can go to the creeper settings in the advanced display and set the parameters, but the speed functions just the same.

  34. #34Nige2023-06-15 10:58

    See Pages 7 & 8 of the attachment. These are the installation instructions for retrofitting the 264-8861 Panel that I thought I posted on your original thread.

  35. #35cfpinz2023-06-15 11:59

    Thanks, Nige. It's odd to me that the gauge cluster worked without ET intervention, but the creeper mode doesn't. Logically though, I assume the gauge cluster is just displaying readings that were already present whereas the machine would need to recognize the signal from creeper switch in order to active creeper mode.

  36. #36Nige2023-06-15 12:06

    Not at all. The gauges and the creeper mode are two totally separate functions. If creeper mode was permanently activated in the ECM then for all machines with no switch installed the system would register a permanent Diagnostic Code for a "switch malfunction". This would be somewhat irritating to say the least if the machine was not even equipped with said switch. The solution is to have the creep function as a selectable parameter in the ECM configuration so that on machines so equipped the function can be turned on. Simples.......

  37. #37weareweird692023-06-15 20:30

    Nige, you’re a wealth of information. I’m kinda glad I posted in this thread lol Creeper would be ideal if using a trencher.

  38. #38Nige2023-06-15 22:09

    To say that it’s not the first time this subject has come up would be the understatement of the year…..

  39. #39rlpowell842024-06-29 08:50

    anyone have testing procedures for speed sensors

  40. #40Nige2024-06-29 09:02

    I'm a little confused as to what relation speed sensors have with the display, unless it's for displaying Diagnostic Codes.? TBH you would be better creating a new thread. Click this LINK for complete "how to" instructions Post a Serial Number and the Codes you have. Help will be forthcoming.

  41. #41rlpowell842024-07-01 09:32

    i reposted in skid steers with a new thread thank you

  42. #42Slyfox5192024-11-14 22:22

    Will the panel upgrade for the C series allow you to change operator modes? In the operations and maintenance manual it says you can choose 3 types of operator modes depending on your operator skills. I feel my loader is set on the lowest setting as it is not very responsive. I have operated an older B series and can run circles around this newer machine. In the manual it says in order to change said mode you use the RH panel. If not equipped with the RH panel it will be in what ever mode was programed last. I have priced out the RH panel and the $1500 price tag wouldn't bother me at all knowing that it is plug and play. Seeing it also can read/clear codes is great but it has to be able to change the modes for me. This machine has to have more in it than what its showing me.

  43. #43Nige2024-11-15 04:37

    Which panel have you priced at $1500, the LCD Advanced Display.? Got a Part Number.? What is the machine Serial Number and what panel does it have fitted right now.?

  44. #44Slyfox5192024-11-15 04:55

    I am at work currently and don't have my machine's serial number handy. It is a 2009 279C. The part number I have sourced is the 346-6336 that you have recommended to many others. It should not be the advanced Display. It currently has no display on the RH side. It has the standard display on the LH side showing hours, fuel as well as dummy lights.

  45. #45Nige2024-11-15 05:38

    So long as it is not a Series 2 machine the S/N will be MBT-something. You must be referring to the attachment. Note that it needs Cat ET to set the new gauge cluster status to "Installed" before it will work. Certainly from reading the O&M Manual regarding the use of that panel it appears as though it works the way you interpret it, in that it will allow you to change operator/power/speed modes. I've never run a machine equipped like that myself so cannot say for certain.

  46. #46Slyfox5192024-11-15 06:43

    It is not a series 2 machine. The creep control function is the only function that would need CAT ET to work properly? The switch is just provided as to not throw additional codes after installing the “kit”? No doubt your knowledge base is vast on this forum. I’ve read many of your post and appreciate all your help. Hopefully someone else from this post that has installed this “panel kit” on their machine will chime in. Then confirm if they can set the operator modes from the panel and if they needed CAT ET to program that option or not.

  47. #47maikol222025-07-12 22:42

    Alguien tiene el esquema eléctrico del 279c no me desactiva el parqueo

  48. #48Nige2025-07-13 04:43

    You need to post in English to comply with the forum rules. Use Google translate if necessary. I suggest you need to create a new thread because the solution to your problem might become quite complicated. Click this LINK for full instructions. When you create the thread please be sure to post a machine Serial Number because to locate the correct electrical schematic depends on it.

  49. #49maikol222025-07-13 09:33

    I need the electrical diagram for the 279C Caterpillar. It doesn't disconnect my parking

  50. #50Nige2025-07-13 12:04

    Please read what I wrote above. 1. Create a new thread. (Click the link for detailed instructions). 2. In that thread post a machine Serial Number.