Our SV340B is giving an audible "click" when the ignition knob is turned to the start position. At first, it only took a couple of turns of the knob to start the machine, but now it's taking quite a few tries to get the starter to turn the engine over, so, needless to say, it seems to be getting worse. The audible click that I mentioned seems to be coming from the starter solenoid, but I've never had to work on this machine myself [read: came out of warranty last January], so I honestly couldn't say where the starter is located. If anyone has come across this issue before - or if you know how to gain access to the starter assembly - I'd really appreciate the help. Thank you kindly for your time.
I would start at the battery and make sure it's got the power to turn it over. The next thing I would check is to make sure that the power to the starter and the ground are properly secured and the connections are clean, both at the battery and at the starter. You will need to lift the arms and roll the cab over see these lines. It could be the starter solenoid but, I check these things first. When the battery gets low or the starter is not getting proper power, you here that click.
Although I'm a very old school farmer's son, I'm a bit intimidated by these new fangled "electronically-controlled" machines. We have a thumb drive that came with this machine that contains [literally] thousands of pages of PDFs. The Service Manual repeatedly refers to a "cab-tilting" procedure, but I'll be damned if I can actually find one. Assuming that you have an interior HVAC system inside the cab of your SV340Bs, KSSS, I'd like to know if anything other than the two nuts behind the cab have to be removed prior to tilting the cab forward? In other words, do any electrical connectors or hoses - or anything else - have to be dealt with prior to tilting the cab forward? Thank you very much for posting to this thread.
Lift the loader arms all the way up. There is a boom lock lever inside the cab that locks the boom up make sure you rotate that to lock to secure the boom. There are two large nuts behind the cab, remove those and pull the cab over. It will automatically lock. When you are ready to secure the cab, lift the loader arms up before you try to rotate that unlock lever for the loader arms. The arms will rest against the lock making impossible to move unless you raise the arms up and off the lock mechanism.
Thank you for your posts, KSSS. I'm familiar with raising the boom arms and using the manual lock lever inside of the cab. We've done this in the past to clean ice out of the GP bucket that came with the machine. I'm happy to read that nothing more than raising the boom arms, employing the manual boom locking/safety bar, removing the (2) 24mm nuts behind the cab and tilting the cab forward is all that has to be done to gain access to the internals of the machine. This machine came with all of the bells and whistles, so I was afraid that this would complicate tilting the cab. After I've actually had a look at what's under the cab, I'll get back to this thread with more information. Once again, a sincere thanks for getting back to me about this. We got snow overnight, so we have to do whatever we can to try to address this issue.
No problem, hopefully you find the issue and get back to work. I have a new SV340B making its way right now from a Colorado Titan Equipment store to Idaho Falls. Merry Christmas to me!
Nice! A new SV340B is quite the Christmas present! After I got done typing my last post, I went outdoors and opened up the SV340B ... and wouldn't you know it, it starts right up now! The fact that it was nearly 20-degrees warmer today than it's been over the past few days has me thinking that it may be a battery issue after all. I remember how the factory battery that came with our SV340A had to be replaced after less than 50-hours of runtime, so the batteries being employed by Case I-H are definitely suspect. Anyway, at this point, I'm seriously thinking about going through the task of removing the B's battery to have it load tested. Hope your Christmas present brings you great joy, KSSS!
Thank you! I have not had a battery go bad early myself, but it is certainly possible. Another way to check the battery would be to put a trickle charger on it when its cold. If it turns over and starts like normal, I would say that the battery is the issue, could also be a connection issue like I mentioned above and it wouldn't be hard to check that with the cab raised.