Ladies and Gentlemen, I am currently deployed in Iraq, I happen to run accross a bobcat S300 that the Marines left behind that was broken and not running. I spent the better part of two weeks looking for parts to fix it. I finally got it running but the machine had water in the fuel. i drained it replaced all the filters and it runs now, but the motor shoots flames out of the exaust and the muffler system heats up and glows in broad day light, I cant figure it out, to me it is running way to hot, if any of you have any suggestions please let me know, im limited on what i can do but any input would be outstanding. Thanks SGT Wren William C. Maintenance NCOIC 18th Ordnance Company (EOD)
First of all, thank you so very much for your service to your country! As for the Bobcat problem sounds like to me you have either a leaky or stuck exhaust valve. Pull the valve cover and make sure you can see travel in the valve stems. If you can get access to a Temperature Heat Gun, take a reading on each cylinder to see if they are all running equally hot or if just one is. Thanks again for your service sargent.
If it is a mojor problem the machine will shut down & bring up a fault code, does the machine have any fault codes? Is it a factory muffler, should be a spark arrestor muffler, pull the small bung from the bottom of the exhaust check & clean for soot...might help
Is there possibly gasoline mixed in the diesel??
Thanks gentlemen, I'll pull the valve cover and check them, i can try to get a heat tester probly cant but i will try. I will pull the plug from the muffler too. Ill let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks agian SGT Wren, William C. Maintenance NCOIC 18th Ordnance Company (EOD)
I would also like to thank you for your service to the free world. One thought I had immediately. I had a similair problem years ago. Different machine but a diesel engine none the less. The engine was running hot and shooting flames. I replaced fuel filters. It seemed to help alittle. Still had the issue. Checked everything, timing, valve lash etc. Same issue. I finally found another in line fuel filter that was not easy to see. Replaced filter and problem dissapeared. The engine had been running very lean creating heat, low power, exhaust glowing. Have a very close look for other filters in the system and if none found replace all the filters again. Also confirm that the fuel is clean. You may need to drain tank and refill with confirmed good fuel. Hope this helps. Good luck!!
Also check complete inlet to pump from tank. Pinched hose? Blockage? You can remove sections of fuel system (lines) one at a time and purge backwards to fuel tank. Had a wiping rag in a fuel tank once that created issues and a piece of foam rubber in another. These 2 acted the same though and created a similiar issue. Machine would run for awhile until the foreign debris covered and plugged fuel tank pick up tube. Leave machine sit for 2 minutes and it would run again until pick up tube became blocked again.
Not thinking that a fuel line restriction would'nt be an issue (have seen weirder things before) but the part that's got me currious is the FLAME THROWER I gotta see a picture of that ! The only two times I seen that was when the engine was fueled up really hot and the turbo was actually glowing red ...... But that was a 12 liter engine on a big truck after a long hard pull ..... and when a turbo cartridge seal blew and it was injecting engine oil into the hot side of the turbo, flames were coming outa both stacks 8'... again it was on a large truck engine .... sounds pretty cool to me !
could be the wrong fuel in it? If its poping in the exhaust I would guess a exhaust valve is sticking open , could also be there is raw fuel in the muffer ?