Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

235 Final Drive Oil Level. Not Good.

Cub ยท 2024-06-23 13:18

Going through the Old Girl, Power washed everything under the "Hood", changed Engine Oil and Filter, Fuel, and Coolant Filters. New Hydraulic Oil and All Elements. (No Shavings or Crud in any of them), New Air Filters. 3 New Boom Cylinder Hoses, and Greased everything I can get at without starting it. Still waiting on Exhaust Elbow to reinstall Muffler. Figured I'd check My Final Drives. Right side right where it's supposed to be. Relatively Clean Oil. Left Side Close to 5 Gallons Overfull! ***? I've read a couple of other threads about folks with similar issues. Drive Motor Seals? Soons as I can fire her up and swing the House around to gain better access I'll be asking questions once again. Maybe someday I can provide some answers for somebody. Until then, I shall remain Extremely Humble. I didn't/don't like how this machine Steers anyway. Don't have much Operating experience with the Cat 200 Series, but have read Steering is Not their best quality. Spent most of my time on 320's and 330's, with a lot of time on a 200 Komatsu. Blown Drive Motor Seals would affect Steering I imagine? If the motor needs to rebuilt, I hope I can find a Shop close to Southern, Vermont. Serial # 64R1592

Replies2
  1. #1Nige2024-06-24 03:42

    You only just bought the machine. Why not drain the oil and refill to the correct level then monitor the levels in the hydraulic tank and the final drive going forward.? That would at least give you an idea of how serious the internal leak is.

  2. #2Cub2024-06-24 05:15

    Thanks Nige. Now why didn't I think of that? I guess I just went into Worst Case Scenario and had visions of Oil dumping out of that motor under pressure and doing more damage. Kind of like when my Boom Cylinder Blew. The possibilities of a Slow Leak never entered my mind. I bought a Drum, and several 5 gl. Pails of Oil from my employer to fill the Hydraulic Tank and still, it wasn't Cheap. Any Oil on the ground gets me Nervous. I tend to be somewhat of a Perfectionist at times. Second opinions from Experienced People are Priceless and always welcomed. I will do as you suggested. Thanks again!