Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

245 Cat travel motors killing machine

OnsiteScott · 2018-11-25 22:26

First time posting here, long time reader: I recently took on the task of helping a farmer with his 1976 Cat 245 excavator. A little history (and I don't have much), *claims one main pump was replaced/rebuilt. said previous mechanic cleaned system, and changed filters... *machine would stall out when traveling. *other mechanic told farmer swivel was likely the culprit. *I get called to drop and repack swivel. I find seals/o rings are definitely wore, and damaged, no metal or particulate. corroborating previous diagnosis from other mechanic. I reinstall, test machine, all seems good. *I get a call from Farmer saying machine won't move again. then farmer says it is doing what it did before, travel function tries to kill machine. then farmer tells me after a day, machine will move for a little bit, and stop again... I told him NO! don't do that, leave it alone until I get some answers. he agrees. I'm not familiar with this old beast of a machine, and I haven't been able to find info related to hydraulic circuits yet, and I guess I am reaching out to see if anybody on this forum has any insite they could lend to me to try to get this sorted out for the old boy. *Machine has single forward and reverse pedals. I have not put gauges anywhere yet because I have not been back to machine. Thank you in advance for any insight.

Replies9
  1. #1rondig2018-11-26 00:03

    Sounds like static brake is comming on..

  2. #2Mobiltech2018-11-26 06:59

    First check would be pilot pressure. The pilot pressure releases the brakes and is also used to control pump output. You could also check the pilot filter for metal cuttings. I think you have to tee in under cab to check pilot pressure. Number 12 jic tee . Need serial number for spec. I think it’s around 300 to 350 psi.

  3. #3OnsiteScott2018-11-26 08:26

    All other functions operate properly. Just travel motors apparently are the issue. I am not too familiar with this old beast, i was "told" there is a way to switch from one pedal forward and reverse to independent track travel with a lever??? Any truth to this? I have not been back to machine yet, so im trying to get a better understanding of system beforehand

  4. #4OnsiteScott2018-11-26 08:28

    Im not familiar with this

  5. #5rondig2018-11-26 09:09

    There is a brake in each track motor...

  6. #6Mobiltech2018-11-26 09:13

    Functions will stll work with low pilot pressure. Brakes need good pressure to release . Ive never seen single lever control for travel on these machines . You still need to verify pilot pressure first.

  7. #7OnsiteScott2018-11-26 10:28

    I will verify pilot pressure first thing when i get to machine Serial number is 95V00259

  8. #8OnsiteScott2018-12-13 09:53

    Well guys, found a kinked steel line under speed and direction valve that feeds track brake valve. Problem solved.

  9. #9Mobiltech2018-12-22 12:12

    Good to hear .