serial number 9kk02063 Swing motor has about 1/2 pipe with a 90 degree elbow at base pointing to rear of machine. Oil is pouring out of this pipe. Was digging ditch and notice oil on tracks. Cut machine off. Had to wait for another come and crank while I looked. Saw oil coming out this pipe. Thanks
That pipe should have a plug in it .That is you swing motor drain pipe .Did happen to break the pipe or loose it ?
Do not know. Elbow still there. Will go and check ground in morning for plug. Excavator has not moved.
It should be just a regular pipe plug screwed into it .Post a picture you can .You can email it me if need at [email protected] so I see wht you are seeing. thanks Ed
I'd say more likely it's the drain pipe for the swing planetary gear box as opposed to the swing motor mounted on top of the gear box. Curious that it started leaking oil. Did the plug simply rattle out? Never seen that before, but it's possible I suppose. Or did someone do a little sabotage and loosen that plug? Or, worse still, has it been missing for a long while now, meaning, no oil in the gear box, and now the swing motor has crapped its shaft seal. I believe I'd fit the proper plug, fill the gear box to proper level, and monitor the oil level frequently.
This is what caused our swing motor to flood the gearbox a few months ago. Sounds like it could be the swing motor seal or worse. HeavyEquipmentForums
Willie59 When you say no oil in gearbox. Are you talking about the dipstick on the swing motor? I pull that dipstick every time I get on machine just like checking motor oil and coolant level and hydraulic level. It has always been on full line and never over. I use this on my farm and run it 99% percent of time.
I will get picture in morning
Oh man...hope plug fell out...seal on swing motor sucks
When I said leaking oil it is pouring hydraulic oil out this pipe.
Oh crap...sounds like main shaft seal....or it could be a case drain..on motor..that would return to tank usually
Picture of location would help a lot lol
Her are two pictures of pipe off back of swing motor. I pulled dipstick on swing motor and where it has always been of full it is not registering on dipstick. The pipe dumps in the round opening on the left
Another picture of unit and dipstick I am talking about
That's nothing to do with your swing motor, the swing motor is the part with all the hoses going to it. It's the drain for the swing gearbox. You've probably hit it and cracked it. Nothing to be afraid of, just a piece of pipe with NPT threads on the end. Fix it and refill the swing box through the dipstick tube with SAE30 or 50 transmission oil, depending on your ambient. Don't run it with no oil.
That is gearbox drain....but hydraulic oil coming out of it is bad...how long since you checked oil level....in gear box....i would plug it...fill it...use it andnsee if level goes up....if it doesnt your all good...if it does...then not so much
I went back to excavator to cleanup around around swing motor. I crawled up under it and the pipe has a plug in it. Thinking now it may be one of the hoses right above it with a hole in it spraying down on end of pipe looking like it it is coming out of pipe. Have. Person coming Wednesday to help me diagnose problem since I will be away Tuesday. Will update further. I check the dipstick oil Radiator and hydraulic level every time I get on it. If I go to lunch I check the above again before cranking. That is rule I follow on all my farm equipment. I run it 99 percent of time
Well hose is a lot better..good for u....way cheaper
Update on problem It was a big line on the diesel tank side of the rotary swivel. The bottom line had a hole in it spraying on the drain pipe.went ahead took both lines to caterpillar to make new since it was easier to take top one off first to get to bottom. Still had metal tag on them so I guess they were old. Preventive maintenance. Thanks all for replying even though now I know I did not know what I was talking about. Now everybody knows.