I have a Cat 246C skid steer. When I start the machine, a warning symbol with an exclamation mark appears. While this symbol is active, my thumb wheel for the attachment controls doesn’t work. However, when the symbol disappears, the thumb wheel operates the auxiliary hydraulics just fine. What could be causing this? Any ideas? Someone mentioned the joystick might be faulty, but the dealer quoted me $4,600 to replace it—which seems steep! Any help would be greatly appreciated. CvJAY09047
Does the panel in the upper RH corner of the cab look like the illustration below.? The thumbwheel switch is not sold as a separate part so the complete handle has to be replaced if the thumbwheel fails. Note this does not require the lower part of the joystick assembly (containing the handle position sensors) to be replaced. I would not replace a joystick or handle simply on a hunch that it might be bad. Some diagnostics are going to be required to identify the source of your problem. A handle was priced around $700 the last time I heard.
Yes. This is the panel on the RH. The joy stick Handel work perfect never give me trouble. Just when that symbol is on with the instrument panel I can operate any tools. When it disappears everything's works perfect.
When I start the machine this symbol is on sometimes when its on i cant run any tools like breaker or broom. But sometimes it goes away as I am working and I can run everything. Also sometimes I start the machine and the symbol won't be on. Then everything runs fine.
No it isn’t. If you look carefully you’ll see that my illustration has two gauges, yours only has one. The one with the two gauges is an optional panel but but the advantage is that it allows you access to diagnostics with using external tool such as a scanner. Unfortunately your next step is have someone hook Cat ET diagnostics up to the machine, look at Diagnostic Codes both Active and Logged, and download a Product Status Report. Without information it’s impossible to advise what you should be doing or checking at this point. That is the Driver Alert Indicator (DAI). Questions at this point: - 1. When you first turn the key to the ON position do ALL sixteen indicators on that panel briefly light up during the self test.? 2. When the DAI comes on at startup is it solid or flashing.? 3. Is the DAI accompanied by any other indicator on that same panel.? That in itself proves there is nothing wrong with the thumbwheel roller switch.
Hi Nige My machine has the 2 gauges on the right panel. I am 100% sure. To answer you 3 questions. 1- yes when I turn the key to on postions All light briefly light up 2- the DAI when it stays on its solid not flashing 3- no other indicators stays on when the DAI stays on. Only DAI solid. Then I cant run any auxiliary tools. But sometime I start the machine and the DAI is not on so everything works fine then
The picture i sent is not my machine I sent for reference to show you what indicator stays on. DAI. Thanks again
Right. Now I get you. The impression was that the photo you uploaded was the panel in your machine. See the attached. You can get into the onboard diagnostics using the three buttons below the screen. NOTE: When you enter Service Mode on the panel it automatically goes straight to Mode 1. Come back with a list of what you have in the following:- Mode 1 - Active Diagnostic Codes Mode 2 - Logged Diagnostic Codes Mode 3 - Active Events Mode 4 - Logged Events
The picture i sent is not my machine I sent for reference to show you what indicator stays on. DAI. Thanks
Hi Nige I am not sure if I did the navigating thing right. I will try again tomorrow but I retrieved the following codes 2204-3 2475-3 E876-3 3975338 Also I will attach a video to see that indicator.
Well you certainly got some results. The instructions are not the clearest so let me see if I can help you. 1. Key ON. Simultaneously press and hold the Function Select button (5) and the Scroll Up button (3) for 3 seconds then release. This puts you into Service Mode 1 - Active Diagnostic Codes. 2. Note the first Code that is displayed (e.g. 2204-3), then press & release either the Scroll Up button (3) or the Scroll down button (4) to display the next Code in the list if there is one. Continue this until the first Code that was displayed comes up again at which point you have reached the end of the list. 3. Navigate from Mode 1 to Mode 2 by pressing the Function Select button (5) once. Repeat Step 2 and record all the listed Codes. 4. Repeat Steps 2 & 3 for Mode 3 and Mode 4.
Hello Nige Mode 1 has no codes Mode 2 has the first set of codes Mode 3 has the 2nd set of codes Mode 4 no codes 2475-3 2474-3 2204-8 2204-4 2204-3 2475-3 2477-3 2476-3 E876-3 E875-1 3975338
Well you had nothing Active at the time you pulled the Codes, which is good. My suggestion is that the next time you power up the machine and the DAI starts flashing, before trying to move the machine or operate any controls, go straight into Mode 1 and look for Active Codes. You can do it with the engine running. My guess is that you will get one or more Codes 2204-something (3, 4, or 8). We just need to know what that something is.
Hello Nige The DIA came back again. Active code is 2204-3!!!
Right. Now we are getting somewhere. Attached is the troubleshooting procedure for 2204-3 but it will only really work if the Code is Active at the time. Give it a try anyway. Check your message inbox for an electrical schematic. If the troubleshooting procedure gets you nowhere then I suggest that you find every electrical connector that the following three wires pass through between the joystick and the Machine ECM, starting with the 12-pin connector directly below the joystick (illustrated below), open each one in turn clean it with aerosol contact cleaner, dry it, and reassemble. Wires are P769-YL, P770-WH, & P996-GN.
Good Morning Nige I will try cleaning the wires connectors tonight. Could this be a relay problem? Can the thumb roller be bad? This so frustrating. It works most of the time when I dont need it, as soon as I plan to use the attachment the light come one and no auxiliary available. I had to cancel 5 break out jobs because of it already!!
No. There are no relays in that circuit. Unlikely. Thumb rollers seem to either work or not work but no so much coming and going. If you have a multimeter that reads duty cycle you could check the output of the thumb roller PWM position sensor while the DAI is flashing if you like. Measure between P996-GN & P770-WH.
Figured I'd reply to this vs add a new thread. My 259D (FLT01098) has is throwing 2204-4 error, I assume it is a similar issue to the 2204-3? I took the stick handle apart today and sprayed some contact cleaner in the thumb roller but I am thinking that is not my issue as it seems to throw the code when not using the roller and it for some reason happens more frequently at machine start-up. The error message appears very random, comes and goes and then it will just disappear for some time. If the procedure is the same as the -3 I will attempt to use the same provided pdf for troubleshooting. I am thinking I should probably start following the wiring and check all connectors. @Nige , do you happen to have the wiring info handy? Thanks!