Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clearing with 455g

Mcluga ยท 2016-04-17 08:02

Trying to clear some land (a few acres) with a 455g. Having a hard time. Machine is a little small. Can someone give me best practices to clear with this loader? Most trees are less than 10" diameter.

Replies3
  1. #1franklinute2016-04-17 10:37

    I clear some of my land with a JD450C. I assume you are using a bucket with good shanks and teeth? Certain varieties of tree such as Hickory have deep root systems and are hard to push out even when small. We do have an advantage with loaders to dig a chuck out of the root system and then push higher on the trunk to get the tree and rootwad out. At my farm I have lots of wild thorny pear coming up and I try to get a lot of the root system out because if they just break off then sprouts come back quickly from the roots. I use a scoop type of attachment to get the root system out then after the trees dry I will put the bucket on to pile the brush.

  2. #2Mcluga2016-04-17 21:01

    Yes, bucket with good teeth. Just slow going and wondering if there are any techniques people use to clear. I've started clearing in a circle pushing all to the middle. Only taking small slices of the circle at a time. It's working and it keeps it uniform and at least appearing to be some type of order. Kinda working a pie chart if that makes more sense.

  3. #3DMiller2016-04-18 17:16

    Work small areas moving the spoil materials out of the area and into a disposal spot out of the way is best, trying to move all into the center of a clean out is tough as you end up moving materials over and over or adding to volume until the machine is overloaded. Another option is reducing the cleared materials to multiple piles that can be arranged to fewer piles later by working just small areas at a time. Lots of larger scrub trees will present their own problems as to repositioning and arranging to keep work paths open.