Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

259d cat

Timothy303 · 2024-01-25 14:18

No supply voltage to the cam sensor,

Replies17
  1. #1Nige2024-01-25 14:40

    Are you asking us or telling us.? Also can you add a bit more detail about the problem you have, apart from missing voltage. A dozen or so models of 259D. Post a Serial Number so everyone knows which one you have.

  2. #2Timothy3032024-01-25 14:52

    259d cat, have signal voltage but no supply voltage. Checked at ecm, no supply voltage coming from ecm

  3. #3Timothy3032024-01-25 14:54

    Serial ftl08775 sorry guys

  4. #4Timothy3032024-01-25 14:56

    I only get one fault code 3510-4, if I have a bad sensor somewhere else could that pull supply voltage from my cam sensor?

  5. #5Nige2024-01-25 15:01

    Active (as opposed to Logged) I assume.?

  6. #6Nige2024-01-25 15:13

    It seems unlikely because the 5v cam sensor power supply is specific to that particular sensor and does not supply anything else. IIRC the output signal from the cam sensor is not a voltage. You will need a multimeter set to duty cycle to measure it. If you have any Deutsch connector pin removal tools try removing the 709 Orange wire and its terminal from the 80-pin ECM connector J2, pin 28. Then reinstall J2 and measure the voltge between the Pin 28 location where you removed the wire and Pin 27 which is the camshaft power supply ground wire.

  7. #7Timothy3032024-01-25 15:22

    I have 5v at the pink signal wire to the cam sensor, you’re saying I shouldn’t have?

  8. #8Timothy3032024-01-25 15:22

    Pin8

  9. #9Timothy3032024-01-25 15:32

    I will check that tomorrow, thank you

  10. #10Nige2024-01-25 15:40

    Yes you should. This is is a voltage known as "pull up" voltage. It is generated inside the ECM using an internal resistor (usually 2kΩ), and is designed to help diagnose the integrity/continuity of the signal circuit between the ECM and the sensor. However it is NOT the signal.

  11. #11Timothy3032024-01-26 10:31

    Removed the wire and probed pin, still no voltage. Bad ECM?

  12. #12Nige2024-01-26 11:00

    You did check it with the key ON.? Sounds like it. If you still have the 709-OR wire removed try checking it for continuity from the ECM to the 3-pin connector next to the sensor using something like a 1A a test light rather than a multimeter. If it checks out good for continuity then it appears that the ECM is the only possibility. It's somewhat weird. A 3510-4 Diagnostic is supposedly detecting a ground short circuit in the sensor or the wiring harness. Try removing the ground wire J864-GY pin from Pin 27 right next to the cam sensor power supply wire and test for 5v directly across the two ECM Pins 27 & 28 with connector J2 reinstalled.

  13. #13Timothy3032024-01-26 15:08

    Just realized I have a can data link lost message when I turn the key on. Not sure what that’s all about, the ECM is plugged in

  14. #14Nige2024-01-26 15:51

    What message exactly.

  15. #15Tyler d4c2024-01-26 15:51

    Check the ground wire on the engine behind the alternator. Seems to be a popular problem with these lately. May just get luck and be that.

  16. #16Timothy3032024-02-02 11:04

    Turns out the ECM was bad, I have another machine with the same ECM so I pulled it and installed on the problem machine and no more code. Thank you for all of your help

  17. #17Nige2024-02-02 11:12

    Thanks for the feedback on the problem & the solution.