Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

259D engine problem

Rench · 2024-01-11 19:43

Got a call to put a turbo on this machine, checked out the old turbo it was bad.I put a new turbo on started the machine it smoked like a freight train white smoke very moist enough to drip off the crossbar on the back where the exhaust was hitting it. It ran for about 30 minutes with the only issue being the smoke, thought it might clear up. While it was at idle it jumped up about 1,000 RPMs on its own and then started exhausting out of the intake and tried to run away and died. So far I have checked the EGR valve it's not stuck I pulled the valve covers and injectors ran a borescope in each cylinder cylinders look good and are dry, and there's no bent valves. I started it again did the same thing then about a week later I found out a previous mechanic had worked on it and it did run away on them they stuff a rag in the turbo to kill. He said it done the same thing to him ran away exhausting out of the intake. Has me stumped any suggestions ? CAT0259DLFTL08040

Replies15
  1. #1KSSS2024-01-11 19:48

    Not that is would be all the problems, but if it ran white smoke I would say there are head gasket issues.

  2. #2Rench2024-01-13 14:40

    Anyone know why this thing would start exhausting out of the intake Does anyone know what might cause it to exhaust out the intake

  3. #3Vetech632024-01-13 16:24

    Its firing through the intake valve on one or more cylinders.

  4. #4stefuel2024-01-13 20:58

    What is dripping off the back, raw fuel, motor oil or antifreeze

  5. #5Rench2024-01-14 02:29

    Not sure if it's fuel or coolant although the coolant was not low after running it for 30 min

  6. #6stefuel2024-01-14 14:08

    Time for a compression test. When you had the injectors out and looked in with a scope, did one piston top look much cleaner then the others? Assuming it's not antifreeze, that leaves raw fuel or engine oil. I have seen diesel engines come up to temp and start actually running away, burning it's own engine oil as a fuel. That was on the Detriot 2 cycle diesel though with blocked air box drains. I would pull the injectors and have them pop tested while doing the compression test

  7. #7Mobiltech2024-01-14 17:14

    Where are you seeing exhaust out the intake? Do you have the pipe off from the turbo to the intake?

  8. #8Rench2024-01-14 21:03

    It is coming out of the airfilter housing slightly melted the secondary air filter

  9. #9Mobiltech2024-01-15 08:15

    So it’s running backwards?

  10. #10Rench2024-01-15 08:18

    No because it's running around 900 rpm then jumps to around 1800 rpm then starts exhausting out of the intake

  11. #11Vetech632024-01-15 08:21

    Pull the engine valve cover and check the valve springs and pushrods for any damage.

  12. #12ozarkag2024-01-16 20:15

    Oil level? Only Cat/Kubota like that I've seen run away had seal bad on fuel pump, overfilled oil level till turbo fed oil/ fuel into intake.

  13. #1392U 34062024-01-17 14:03

    I'm going to 2nd doing a compression test if its exhausting out through the intake. IIRC the regen or cold weather strategy (can't remember if it one or the other or both) on these machines will cause the engine to rev up on its own to maintain the heat.

  14. #14Nige2024-01-17 14:34

    Cold weather startup strategy will definitely cause the engine speed to increase to 1400 RPM if either the coolant temperature or ambient air temperature are below a certain value - I think 5 DegC. This will be accompanied by a Diagnostic Code on the screen of any machine equipped with an Advanced Display. Not sure about regen. EDIT: The Code on the screen of an Advanced Display will be "60032 Engine Speed Limited Due to Cold Engine" because despite the ECM having elevated the idle speed to 1400 RPM to warm up the engine it also LIMITS the maximum engine speed to 1400 RPM at the same time.

  15. #15Jiml8312024-02-28 09:45

    I have the same problem if you find a solution please let me know