Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

272D Bucket will not curl

Keizer · 2023-04-25 09:04

Hello Everyone, I have a CAT 272D and the bucket will not curl up. I last used it at the end of fall and everything was working fine, now I cannot get the bucket to curl up. The arms go up and down, the bucket opens but will not close. When I try to close the bucket I get an exclamation mark ! and I lose all hydraulics, I must then switch off and start again in order to get back hydraulics. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. I actually don't know where to start. Thanks

Replies30
  1. #1Nige2023-04-25 09:12

    Serial Number please. Does your machine have the Advanced display panel on the RH side of the cab.?

  2. #2Keizer2023-04-25 12:48

    SerialNo. CAT0272DEGSL00388

  3. #3Nige2023-04-25 13:12

    So based on the Serial Number you only have the Standard Display panel on the RH side. Attached is a procedure that you can use that panel to show Diagnostic Codes. Pay particular attention to what is listed in Modes 0 & 2, followed by what's listed in Modes 1 & 3.

  4. #4Keizer2023-04-25 13:48

    Thank you very much. I'll check the codes and back to you.

  5. #5Keizer2023-04-26 09:52

    Hi Nige, I'm leaving for a trip to Australia and I may not get a chance to look at the machine before I go (it is not located at my home). I hope I can contact you when I'm back. Thanks again for the info so far.

  6. #6Keizer2023-07-12 10:47

    Hello, I would like to get a graphical view of the location of the bucket solenoid for my Cat 272D Serial No. CAT0272DEGSL00388. Thanks to Nige, I was able to look up the error codes. This is what I got: 2475-3,2212-5 I also got 1-E875, 2-E568, 3997 107, 01 174, 01 15. I don't know what these mean. But my bucket will not open, yet it will close. I suspect that it might be the solenoid but I don't know where they are located. If anyone has a diagram of the locations, I would greatly appreciate it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

  7. #7Nige2023-07-12 11:30

    Normally the bucket "curl" function is tilting the bucket back. The opposite of "dump" which is tilting it forward. I take it that you have a multipurpose bucket with an opening jaw, as per the illustration below.? To me it sounds as though the jaw on your MP bucket will not open but it will close. Correct.? Which control are you using to open/close the bucket jaw.? Do all the other bucket functions (lift/lower and curl/dump) work OK.?

  8. #8Keizer2023-07-12 11:42

    This is a regular Cat bucket

  9. #9Keizer2023-07-12 11:45

    The bucket will tilt forward but it will not tilt back Sorry for the incorrect terminology, I am new to this.

  10. #10Nige2023-07-12 11:45

    Don't apologize. You weren't to know. I just need to get straight what the issue is to be able to answer. OK, so you have a regular type bucket with no separate jaw. Your bucket will move forward to the dump position on command but will not curl back. Correct.? Again please confirm which joystick function you use to operate the curl/dump function.

  11. #11Keizer2023-07-12 11:50

    This is what I get when I move the right joystick to the left, and I lose all hydraulics. I must switch off and start again. All other functions work.

  12. #12Keizer2023-07-12 11:52

    Yes, correct

  13. #13Keizer2023-07-12 12:18

    OK, so you have a regular-type bucket with no separate jaw. Your bucket will move forward to the dump position on command but will not curl back. Yes, this is correct. The right joystick operates the bucket and the boom.

  14. #14Nige2023-07-12 12:40

    RH joystick forward/back for the boom and left/right for the bucket curl/dump I take it.? And let me take a WAG that moving the RH joystick to the left is the motion you need to make to curl the bucket back.?

  15. #15Keizer2023-07-12 18:06

    Yes, that's correct

  16. #16Nige2023-07-13 05:22

    OK, here is an illustration of the Implement & Work Tool control valve. Swap the solenoids #3 & #4. They are held in place with 2 small metric cap screws. Does the problem move from the bucket curl function to the bucket lower function.? If it does then the solenoid is bad.

  17. #17Keizer2023-07-13 08:54

    Thanks Nige, I will try this. I assume that this valve is located under the cab.

  18. #18Nige2023-07-13 10:06

    Here is the procedure to Remove & Install the Valve. That should give you some orientation even though you don't need to actually remove it. First the cab will need to be raised.

  19. #19Keizer2023-07-13 20:24

    Thanks, I will try it

  20. #20Keizer2023-07-14 08:43

    It looks like I can swap the electrical connectors, are they identical?

  21. #21Keizer2023-07-14 08:49

    Can I swap the electrical connectors, they look to be the same.

  22. #22Nige2023-07-14 08:58

    Yes you can but please be very careful because the hydraulic cylinder responses to the joysticks will not be the same as you are used to. If you swap #2 and #3 as suggested earlier then to curl the bucket back you should use the joystick movement that you previously used for lowering the bucket. To lower the bucket use the joystick movement that you previously used to curl the bucket back.

  23. #23Keizer2023-07-14 09:57

    Is it 2 & 3 or 3 and 4? Your previous note stated 3 & 4

  24. #24Nige2023-07-14 10:43

    My mistake. Swap the electrical connections on #3 & #4.

  25. #25Keizer2023-07-28 11:09

    Hi Nige. I got the machine working. It was the joystick. Thanks for all your help.

  26. #26CR82972024-12-29 19:14

    I have a 277 C serial number 0277CPJWF00548 with a similar problem. Standard bucket that will not curl up, it will sink slowly if the joystick is moved to the lower position however it is now fully down. any help would be appreciated.

  27. #27Nige2024-12-29 19:35

    Go back to page 1 and take a look at Post #17 regarding swapping the electrical connectors between solenoids #3 and #4. Do that, taking great care because the joystick will respond differently to what you’re used to, and see if the problem moves from rackback where it is now, to dump.

  28. #28CR82972024-12-31 15:36

    Hi Nige, Thanks for the info, I found that one of the wires to the solenoid is broken. looks like #3. I will have to find someone with much smaller hands and arms to get in and repair. I will post if this works. are these accessible from the engine compartment?

  29. #29Nige2024-12-31 15:57

    I think you would be better off with the cab raised to give you more space to work.

  30. #30CR82972025-01-29 13:53

    Nige, Thank you for the help. Found the wires to the solenoid had broken close to the connector. removed the Hydraulic fluid tank and repined the connector to repair. the machine works fine now.