Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 262c quick coupler drops attachments

Kevin Finley · 2023-04-26 14:27

2008 cat 262c MST01245 When backdragging or dumping aggressively my quick hitch pins will drop my attachment. Upon closer inspection the arms on the pins are staying locked and in tbe proper position held by hydraulics, but the spring on the “driver” side will compress and allow the pin to retract upward as soon as pressure is placed on the wedge pin. I can’t see anything visually wrong with this side vs the other. Is this a common issue? Bad springs? It’s super annoying and dangerous

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2023-04-26 16:11

    It might be tired springs, or possibly even wear in the linkages. Hopefully someone else can chime in. Here are the parts lists if you want to get into replacing springs.

  2. #2KSSS2023-04-26 17:48

    The biggest cause of this I typically see (assuming the pins are not moving) is the top lip gets bent up where the coupler grabs the bucket. Next is the pin holes at the bottom of the bucket, they get bent or wallow out.

  3. #3Kevin Finley2023-04-26 21:03

    Oh the pins are definitely moving. If I tip the bucket forward and put pressure on the cutting edge I can watch the left pin push itself back up. Are the springs really all that keeps the pins down? It would seem they'd have to be very strong to not compress while backdragging or using attachments requiring downforce

  4. #4heymccall2023-04-26 21:50

    The springs should be approx 80% compressed when attached to a bucket. As stated above, either the top lip is worn, the bottom holes are worn, or the bottom lip is bent, all on the attachment.

  5. #5Kevin Finley2023-04-26 21:51

    It is not. Brand new bucket and it does it with my grapple and pallet forks as well

  6. #6heymccall2023-04-26 22:32

    How many hours on machine?

  7. #7Kevin Finley2023-04-26 22:36

    Just a hair shy of 5000

  8. #8Scott stryker2023-04-29 08:13

    Had same problem on my Gehl. Very annoying. I replaced the springs and it didnt help. Happened with all attachments. As a temporary fix I took grease fittings out and installed a bolt of the same thread pitch with a jam nut and locked the pins in place. I put the grease fittings back in when I wanted to grease it. About a month later I determined that the upper edge which grabs the attachment was in fact worn and allowing movement. welded a quarter inch steel piece to top edge of coupler and it solved my problem.