Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

277 enginge trouble

brabe ยท 2009-02-03 21:26

277 engine trouble i was outside pushing snow and all of a sudden it started loosing power and finally will not rev up it just barely idles and barely move i thought maybe it had snow clogged in the air filter but i took it off and it made no difference it happened very quickly. it was running fine then it started loosing power to barely idle in about 7 minutes i let it sit for about 30 minutes, then tried to restart it and it started good and the engine reved up like it should , about 10 seconds later it started acting up again and i had little to no throttle response any ideas

Replies28
  1. #1willie592009-02-03 21:45

    Always a possiblity of fuel gelling this time of year. Are you using Power Service additive?

  2. #2brabe2009-02-03 21:51

    ive never had any trouble with fuel gelling i just put a couple gallons of fuel that i got from the gas station tonight temp is 28 degrees ????

  3. #3willie592009-02-03 22:03

    Hey, I'm not saying it's your problem, there is a number of things that can cause the problem your having. You have to perform a number of checks to verify what's causing it, but I definitely think you have some sort of fuel related problem. You may not have had a problem with fuel gelling before, but it can gel, quickly. I mentioned it because I noticed your from Ohio. I'm in Tennessee and it's going to be 18 here tonight, so I know it's cold where you are. I strongly recommend you use Power Service in your rig year round, and for sure in the winter. Power Service additive prevents gelling, disperses water, and keeps your injection system clean for years of reliable service for your machine. If you can get it inside a heated shop for the night would be great, then start checking things tomorrow.

  4. #4brabe2009-02-03 22:23

    hopefully your right, thanks for the tips

  5. #5Steve Frazier2009-02-04 05:53

    How long has it been since your fuel filter was replaced? Do you drain the water from it regularly? A dirty filter will act like that, at some point it restricts the fuel enough that you lose power, and I've had it happen quickly like you describe, especially in cold weather. Ice in the line will restrict the fuel as well. ATCOEQUIP's advice is dead on, you should run Power Service at least during winter months to prevent gelling, their 911 in the red bottle will dissolve waxed fuel in minutes.

  6. #6Cmark2009-02-04 06:50

    If you've eliminated fuel icing and filters and are still having problems, I would check the tank breather. Then if you still have problems and if your machine is a 277C, check the electric fuel transfer pump.

  7. #7Squizzy246B2009-02-04 07:37

    From memory and if its a B with the 3044 engine; the fuel lift pump relay is down the right side of the engine bay near the rear door. For awhile, some numbskull in the assembly line decided to fit this relay upside down, or on an angle, such that moisture could collect around the wires. The typical symptoms of the relay failing are exactly as you describe. I found mine corroded internally....likely as a result of pressure cleaning.:Banghead

  8. #8suhrieind2009-02-04 09:20

    new hollnd LX665 I have a New Holland LX665 that has very little power. I bought it used and had to replace the pistons on rings and turbo but the engine blows a lot of black smoke and has no power. Any suggestions on this unit?????

  9. #9bill onthehill2009-02-04 09:48

    on the cat look for an ice blockage in the fuel line. the new holland sounds like it is starving for air. with it warm try running for a short while with air cleaners removed. a blocked secondary air filter will lead to a lot of black smoke. so will a turbo that is not up to speed. is the turbo noisy? do you have an exhaust leak? this will let the turbo lag behind the fuel delivery.

  10. #10brabe2009-02-04 17:42

    i put some power service fluid in the tank and it did not seem to fix the problem but i also removed the fuel water separater (the filter at the bottom right when u open the door) and dumped it out and reinstalled it. cranked it a couple times and it seemed to fix the problem. i ran it for a little while and it started running bad again. i took the filter off and it immediatly ran better. i think i will get a new filter tommorow, iwas about fifty hours over on when i was supposed to change it

  11. #11willie592009-02-04 20:52

    Yeah, that's the thing about diesel fuel. You could be fifty hrs over on your filter change, you could be right on time, or you could have a filter you just changed 10 hrs ago; then get a tank filled at your local fuel store and get a bunch of dregs that cloggs the filter. In my opinion, the best investment a guy that owns a machine can make is put a truck bed fuel tank with a 12V pump and spin on filter on the truck you pull your machine with to put off-road fuel in. Then, never fill your machine "at the pump". Fill your machine with the filtered fuel from your tank. Put some Power Service in your truck tank when you fill it. Then, if your machine could talk, it would be saying all kinds of nice things about you. :notworthy

  12. #12Shifty2009-02-04 22:39

    I have never had any luck dumping out the water separator on the bottom of a cat fuel filter. It seems that once water touches the filter element its done. I was told that the filter element is designed to stop water from passing through. Unfortunately when it stops the water it also stops the fuel. I have also had trouble with treated fuel gelling in the filter in below 0 conditions. I found a cheap way to heat the incoming fuel by lifting the supply line from the tank and wrapping it with the return radiator hose with a insulation wrap. It helps warm the fuel before it get to the filter. I agree with ATCO haveing a supply tank with a good water/fuel filter to fill your machine from is priceless.

  13. #13John DiMartino2009-02-11 11:19

    Replace the fuel filters,add PS to the fuel tank,and primary filter .Prime it,and try it again.It sounds like a fuel starvation problem.

  14. #14inyati132009-11-28 09:02

    This is a problem I am having with a Cat D3G 2005 dozer. How does the fuel/water separator work? There is one inlet at the top and the water drain at the bottom. When I say how do they work. Specifically what is the flow of fluids thru the filter. I assume the water is separated by specific gravity!

  15. #15Shifty2009-11-28 17:16

    Yes. Water is heaver than the fuel. It work like a low spot in the fuel line and is trapped there to collect. After the filter has collected to much water then it will be passed on to the next filter and when its full on to the engine. My filters have a valve to drain the water out the bottom of the filter.I drain a little out of the filters each time fill up the tank.I don't always get water out but its a good practice to keep out water.

  16. #16inyati132009-11-28 17:40

    Thanks. The fuel/water separator filter also filters the fuel, correct. I can see the pleats when looking down in the filter from the top. If the fuel goes in the big opening at the top, where does it come out to go on to the engine? My filter also has the water drain valve at the bottom.

  17. #17carogator2009-11-28 20:52

    yep! you gave us a clue when you said you got a couple gallons of fuel at the local station. i'd say you got a lot of water. you drained water out of filter and helped for a short time. keep doing this until you get the water out. then replace the filter. water does damage a filter. Power Service then needs to be added. I sure wouldn't buy anymore fuel from the same place.

  18. #18inyati132009-11-29 09:28

    Thanks. I will get better fuel.

  19. #19sharpdog2009-12-08 15:58

    277B fuel drain plug location I have a 2004 277B with the exact same problem. New fuel filter makes it run good, but only for a very short time. I want to drain the fuel/water out of my tank, but I cannot find the fuel drain plug. My manual shows the location for the 247, 257, and 287, but not a word about where the drain is for the 277. Obviously I checked the locations mentioned for the other machines in the book, but could not find it. Does anyone know where the fuel drain plug is for the 277B? Thanks in advance, Sharpdog

  20. #20Shifty2009-12-08 20:07

    I had the same problem NOT finding a drain plug. I ended up pulling the fuel sender out of the top of the tank and siphoning out what I could. Then I used the suction hose end of a parts cleaning gun to get the last little bit out.

  21. #21sharpdog2009-12-08 20:51

    I talked to finning/cat and the mechanic said there may not be one. I was shocked. Would it be a big mistake to cut a 1/2" hole and install one?

  22. #22inyati132009-12-08 21:04

    I can understand your shock. I have talked to a couple of mechanics who work for Cat Dealers. They both stated that water and sediment in fuel is one of the leading causes of downtime with heavy equipment. One would think that would require a way to drain off water and sediment. I am glad my 2005 Cat D3G Dozer has an easily accessible drain.

  23. #23carogator2009-12-08 22:33

    for your water problem=go to thactor loader backhoe thread- case 580B overhaul & transmission= page 3 =ATCOEEQUIP response dated 10-18-09. this will show you the best way i ever saw to get the water out. Or you can thread search the words suck bucket.

  24. #24sharpdog2009-12-12 03:32

    Suck bucket is a great idea. I ended up buying 911 fuel treatment to see if that would help. I filled the fuel filter with it, and added it (50:1) to the fuel tank. It idled rough as before for about 15 minutes then smoothed right out. Full power restored. Hopefully thats the end of my problems. I now just need to confirm the quality of my bulk fuel supply.

  25. #25allpryde2010-06-22 18:50

    If you think that's bad have a look where the computers are mounted. On my 267 they are down under the floor and guess what they get water in them too. I think it's all on purpose. pricks

  26. #26KSSS2010-06-22 23:06

    They want you to experience quality CAT service and support.

  27. #27Dr. W2010-06-23 11:05

    :usa I'm with you. I had my old CAT 287(same engine) have problems after getting a bad load of fuel. Replaced the fuel filter and we were back in business. The filter did its job! :usa

  28. #28dcsallan012012-08-27 12:17

    I had the same problem with 06 277b (starts , runs for 10 seconds, then stumbles and dies). It was a cracked fuel pump housing. I thought it was fuel pump, bought new one. CAT only sold the entire piece (which had filter, housing and fuel pump). Replaced filter, then pump, same problem. Then put it all back on the new housing and replaced the whole thing! Worked fine every since. As I look back on it, I had ran the mahcine into a tree right before this happened, must have caused the crack.