Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need Help with a Bobcat 642B (Broom Attach Help) Thanks : )

SCOOPIT22 ยท 2009-02-04 09:46

Hi, I have a early 90's Bobcat 642B Skidsteer and I am looking into putting a sweeper attachment on it I see they make a 60" and a 54" obviously in most cases bigger is better but in my case is a 60" setup too heavy for the machine, I got a yes and no answer from 2 different Bobcat dealers so I would like to know if any of you guys owned or operated a 642B with either the 54" or 60" sweeper attachment and which you prefer. I do only small to medium size lots and only 6 or 7 for spring cleanups, Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies5
  1. #1ermineerwhatbuc2009-02-04 23:14

    what brand of sweeper are you looking at? A 68" bobcat sweeper is under your 1000 lbs rated operating capacity(~950lbs):usa

  2. #2SCOOPIT222009-02-04 23:31

    I am not sure the brand I would assume Bobcat I called them direct, Do they have a line of attachments of their own? I was told by a salesman there that a 60" Sweeper with the bucket set up and I believe side broom was they way to go but he did not have a 54" Like i originally asked for he could of been just trying to sell me what he had, I then contacted a place in NJ who had a 54" and 60" and he pushed me toward the 54" but if I can go 60" i would rather go 60" Would you like me find out the exact model's I am up against tomorrow ? Thanks

  3. #3ermineerwhatbuc2009-02-05 11:38

    sorry i was thinking the power brooms, but when you said with the bucket attachment I stand corrected. The 54" is what I would recommend without a counter weight kit, but with counterweights you would probably would be alright with the 60". Here the bobcat page ( http://bobcat.com/attachments/specs/sweeper ) I wold compare your 642 to the present S100 loader.:usa

  4. #4SCOOPIT222009-02-05 23:06

    Thank You Hi, Thanks that is what I needed to hear, that was nice of you to take the time to help. I think overall because I will not be in the sweeping business I more or less do big landscape small construction so it would be only to do spring sweeps at my plowing lot's and maybe mulch job cleanup's. Is the 54" the same exact as the 60" just 6" less wide? :usa

  5. #5ermineerwhatbuc2009-02-06 10:32

    basically the two are the same, the 60" is 62lbs heavier, 6" wider and will hold another cubic foot of dirt. You probably get away with the 60" if you didn't have to load trucks directly with it. you could pile it remove your sweeper and load it with just a bucket. But if that was an idea you might by the rotary broom and windrow the dirt, then come back and pick it up with your original bucket. But in another sense do you ever see yourself upgrading to a bigger machine that might be able to easily handle the 60" model? :usa:my2c