Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

287B maintenance

estatevm ยท 2016-01-04 21:57

Hi Again, I'm back unfortunately. Thanks to everyone that helped with my last post. I recently took my machine to Cat to have them inspect everything and give me a list of things that need to be done (I purchased the machine used). There was a long list of things and I don't have the $ to do them all right away. But I need to start using this machine right away. I'm hoping someone can tell me how important each one is, and if I can do any of this myself? I'm no mechanic, but maybe some of it isn't that complicated if I have the parts? 1) replace shuttle Valve 2) replace pilot control valve 3) replace throttle/accel linkage 4) repair loader frame (replace worn loader frame pins and bearing at coupler. Weld, bore and machine loader frame) 5) Replace glow plug switch 6) recommended a pm-4 service Your help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks again

Replies9
  1. #1Mark2502016-01-05 02:43

    Hi estatevin, could you list your s/n please and give reasons why these items are selected e.g. oil leaks, broken etc. etc.

  2. #2kshansen2016-01-05 05:44

    :iagree Especially 1 through 3. 4 and 5 seem pretty obvious, worn pin and bushings and possible general wear. 5 Switch not working. 6 I'm guessing due to hours on machine. Also might help to know what kind of work you have planed for this machine. I mean, if you are just going to be pushing around some snow that would be one thing. But if you are going to be loading out tons of gravel everyday that is something else all together. Without knowing anything more the first thing I would do is replace that switch as if it won't start the rest is not going to matter. And if you are pumping it full of starting fluid every morning due to no glow plug action you will be adding rebuild/replace engine to that list! Not something you want to do I'm sure.

  3. #3estatevm2016-01-05 08:12

    Ok, so as far as I ca tell everything runs great on this thing. Starts right up. There are no leaks anywhere that I can see. Engine sounds great! I was very surprised there was such a long list of things to repair because like I said it seems to run really nice. I mainly use it for pounding in fence posts (I have a shaver hd-12 that goes on the loader). And I use it as a forklift around my yard, and for drilling holes. 1) shuttle valve (I can't find anything wrong with this, maybe it's on it's way out and I just don't notice it yet?) what should I notice if the shuttle valve is out? 2)pilot control ( same here, but not sure what I would notice?) 3)throttle ( hand throttle seems loose, but foot throttle works great) 4)loader frame (seems fine to me) 5) glow plugs (starts right up every time) maybe switch isn't working but I can't tell yet? 6) pm-4 (this I will have done, but I would like to do the fluid changes in the future if possible Sn slk01521 How much of this stuff can I do myself? Thanks!!

  4. #4estatevm2016-01-05 08:35

    I titled the post wrong. It's a 257B!!

  5. #5kshansen2016-01-05 08:44

    Not knowing your abilities that is a hard one to answer. If you have basic tools and a bit of common sense do not see any reason you can't do all of them. I guess I would have to ask why they think #1 an #2 need replacing? Hand throttle feels loose, well would need to look at it while someone works it to see where the slop is, might be a rod end or clevis pin worn. Who knows just need to look! Same for glow plug switch they should tell you why they feel it's in need of replacement. As for the PM-4 do you have the Operation and Maintenance manual? Not sure on these small machines but on the larger ones they are almost always in a pouch on the back of the seat. If not there you could check on something on E-Bay or the dealer. To have any machine with out even this basic information is wrong in my opinion.

  6. #6estatevm2016-01-05 09:04

    Thanks Kshansen I have a kubota L-3901 that I do all the maintenance on, but I've never worked on anything Cat, or any skid steer or track loader. I will find out why Cat says 1 and 2 need replacing today sometime. I'm in the process of trying to find the manuals also (they are way more expensive than I thought!). I just got the machine and need to get them, but was hoping to make some $ with the thing first.

  7. #7Nige2016-01-05 09:39

    I would ask them on what basis they consider that items 1-3 need replacement parts. Ask them to list the Part Numbers of everything that they suggest are required for each of the items 1-5 on the list (6 is obvious because as a PM it will be a list of oils and filters for the most part). That will also give some indication.

  8. #8kshansen2016-01-05 13:46

    Well ebay has some for $80.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAT-CATERPILLAR-247B-257B-267B-277B-287B-SKID-STEER-OPERATION-MAINTENANCE-MANUAL-/321894739470?hash=item4af26bee0e:g:q0YAAOSw5VFWIE1X Not sure how that compares with Cat dealer but if it save you one road call from dealer or helps get you back working a couple hours faster it will pay for itself. If you have a Cat dealer you deal with for parts they may give you access to SIS online and you can then get just about any information you need there.

  9. #9Mobiltech2016-01-05 19:16

    Being in California I don't think you'll ever need the glow plug switch. As far as the loader pins and bushings go there are a lot of machines out there with a little play in the lower joints, if you aren't trying to do any fancy levelling you probably won't have a problem there. The pilot valve is probably leaking some oil which would make them say it needs replacing. It is not uncommon to see some seaping at the pilot controls in the cab.