Trying to chase down a e459-2 code that I'm assuming is putting my machine into limp mode. Serial fd202381 C3.8 engine. Does anyone have an ecm pinout diagram so i can check grounds? Also, is there a list of engine grounds to check? Did some searching for both, but it seems the info I'm searching for is always sent via private message and not on the thread. Thanks!
Do a search for E459 using the forum search function. There must be a dozen threads on it by now. The location of the engine grounds (first thing you should check) is shown on at least some of them. Note the comments in a few threads regarding a damaged engine wiring harness causing an E459. This is usually not visible externally. Does your engine start.? Usually an E459 results in a crank, no start situation. I’ll send you an electrical schematic appropriate to your Serial Number. It will show the ECM pinouts. Keep an eye on your message inbox.
Good morning. yep, I've been slowly combing through the search results and had found a couple of the fixes. Its weird though because my machine does start and run.. just wont come out of, im guessing, some sort of limp mode. No other codes nor events. Everything works, power is just derated
In that case I would suggest that you tackle the engine block ground cable first. That was the first step of the factory “fix” for the problem. While you’re at it, do the ground cables at the battery plus the ground cable connections at the master switch if it has one.
Will do. Ground cleaning will be priority one today. Thanks
Well, i cleaned all the engine grounds, cables, including the shut off. Fired up... still the same issue so I figured I'd start poking ecm connections. VERY CONFUSED to say the least. I have all my grounds on J1, zero grounds on J2... but also, ALL of my battery positive wires are also grounded. I pulled off the connector from the egr and sure enough, all wires are grounded..same with air flow sensor (these were just the ones I tried, unsure about the rest) Do I have a test procedure wrong? I have the battery shut off in the "on" position to connect battery ground to frame, ecm connectors are disconnected. Test meter red lead to battery positive
There are no ground connections on J2, so you wouldn't have found any. You may have missed this table on the schematic but it helps a lot when it comes to interpret it. TBH I would always test for good grounds using something like a 3A test light hooked directly to Batt+. By passing a signifcant current through each ground wire you eliminate any possibility of a wire somewhere "hanging on by a thread" would still show good continuity on a multimeter. On connector J1 you should have good ground on Pins 20, 39, 40, 59, 60, 79 and 80. You are testing the Engine ECM I hope.? That's the one mounted on the inside of the engine bay on the LH side as you look in through the open rear door.
Yep, don't mind me. I think I'm on the right path now... the only ground i have is 20... nothing else. And I will say, I was being lazy and didn't want to find my incandescent test light earlier but I'm glad I finally did because that did the trick. So I'm guessing I have a broken ground at the ground splice in the harness.
Well, opened the harness to the ground splice (cat was nice enough to put an accessible wrap in that spot) before taking anything apart, i tested and now had ground to everything at the ecm and also to their respective connectors I didn't see anything wrong but I redid the splice anyway just in case. Soldered, heat shrunk... felt hopeful and to put everything back together, ecm has all its grounds but still getting the code with key on. Is there anything else to check? Cleaned all grounds and cables, cleaned connectors, have grounds to ecm. Any thoughts? Code comes up without even starting
My thought would be a problem wth one of the CAN wires. Back to my earlier suggestion of an oscilloscope. You may have missed this in your searches on the forum but it is key to understanding what happens to flag up the E459 when you turn the key on for the first time. "When the machine systems are initially powered up, the machine ECM requests the engine power rating from the Engine ECM via the CAN communication network. If the machine ECM does not receive a response, the E459-2 code will become active. In this situation, Cat ET will also not be able to connect to the engine ECM. This scenario is the most common occurrence of the E459-2"