Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

299d2XHP Severe Fuel leak, least severe , no start

TheShopForestry&Supply ยท 2024-12-17 11:34

Serial: CAT0299DCDX200817 Back story, I purchased this machine from an rental and sales outfit in Texas, It was a machine that had been on it's side , was mostly used for mulching from what I understand. I had them run an oil sample through cat before purchase and it came back clean.... they said they followed proper protocol for gathering the sample. When it arrived, it had a low voltage code that still continues to show as well as a hydraulic sensor code that displays where it's not reading the hydraulics on the screen until the unit warms up. Long story short I took the unit to the cat dealer locally to do an inspection on the unit and to fix any small issues. $1800 hundred later for a battery and an auxiliary cooler on the back door and a computer implemented regen , and I was back out the door... i took it to cat with 1024 hours on i the first time. Currently the machine shows 1097 hours. I was running it with a mower deck at my house, the fuel was in the red, it through the severe fuel leak code, least severe, and immediately the machine shut off. I went to get more fuel, the gauge read the fuel accordingly, went to turn the key and no start no fire. I cleaned the lifter pump screen in the brass filter and bought a new pump, replaced a new filter in the fuel water separator and attempted again, no start. Fuel fills the bowl with no hesitation. I tried some ether, unit pops off but then dies. I was able to get some fuel to it by turning it over several times with some ether and it ran for approximately 10 seconds and shut down. Tried again and it only seems the ether is igniting, but no fuel. I've read a few things on this forum related to this issue, I'm not super savy with heavy equipment wrenching so some of the methods to test the fuel system seemed to be language foreign to me. Not to say I wont try anything, I just need to understand it first. Long story short, I called cat out to the house to take a look... This machine throughout every hour that I have used it has ran fine, no indications of a bad or failing engine. The tech plugged his computer in and the machine was reading proper fuel pressure and other indicators seemed to check out for him. He tried to ignite with brake clean and he said from what he heard and experienced, it seems the machine is low compression, aka tits up motor. He's going to come back with a compression tester. To me this does not check out at all... Side note, the fuel leak code is not storing on the machine as well as the other codes that pop up on my screen. it seems that old errors and codes are stored on the machine from before my time. Seems sensor/ electrical related to me... curious on thoughts? Tech says theres no way to manually check fuel rail pressure since its a 30,000 psi system. Thanks for the help.

Replies0

No replies yet.