Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3 cylinder deere oil in coolant

HEAVY386 ยท 2011-08-30 09:06

Have 3 ciy deere oil in coolant , not coolant in oil . could be, oil cooler,head gasket,liner pin hole ? were to check first. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1TOM V2011-08-30 15:59

    I would check the oil cooler first. Pressure test with 15 psi and submerge it in a bucket of water. Liners normally leak coolant into the crankcase. Good luck

  2. #2jrtraderny2011-08-30 16:23

    oil cooler is between oil filter and block, my first choice to test also. jr

  3. #3ijoker2011-08-31 00:51

    I recently thought i had oil in the coolant on my 580b. I could not find coolant in any of the obvious places so i decided to drain the coolant out of the radiator and flush the system and fill with water and run the machine so i could find out where the oil was coming from. Did not need to go very far. Once i drained the radiator i discovered that the oil was nothing more than stop leak. If you have an older machine you never know what might have been put in them. I learned that that is why they say to change all the oils and filters when you buy an older machine. The stop leak floats on top of the coolant and it looks like oil. Just something to consider if you haven't already. lol Joe

  4. #4DirtIsMyName2011-08-31 09:16

    I was wondering the same kinda thing. Do you know for sure the oil is leaking now or is it left over from an old situation? I think I would start with a good flush and pressure test the cooling system just 'cause it is easy and almost free. I'm big on re-using old coolant. Most of the crap will settle out of it or float off of it and it can be "processed" at home for re-use.

  5. #5HEAVY3862011-09-01 20:10

    Checked into unit closer no oil cooler for motor oil , pulled head no real noticable spots a couple of questionable spots ,had head plained as per my customers request and new gasket tomorrow.

  6. #6jrtraderny2011-09-01 20:15

    Are you sure there is no oil cooler under the the oil filter? It's just a block between engine block and oil filter with 2 hoses running off of it. The only way oil gets into the coolant is under pressure.

  7. #7ijoker2011-09-06 15:46

    Hi Dirtismyname, Is it really ok to re-use old coolant? What do you do, filter it?

  8. #8Tinkerer2011-09-06 18:45

    Keep in mind that if you are reusing antifreeze that has been used for a long time the rust and corrosion inhibitors are likely to be depleted . You can purchase supplemental coolant additives to extend the useful life of antifreeze.

  9. #9ijoker2011-09-08 14:45

    I have always used new antifreeze. I have always felt safer that way. Not sure but i would think that it breaks down kinda like oil does. Only not as often. During the winter here the tempuratures (not sure if i spelled that right) get real cold. Even during the day sometimes we don't get above freezing. I know people that run straight antifreeze in their vehicles just to be safe. I use a 50/50 mixture myself. I have never had any problems. Knock on wood.

  10. #10JeremiahSr2011-09-08 16:54

    I chased this problem on a 4.5 powertech in a 550H several months ago. changed cooler, head gasket. it wound up being a liner. even though that is a 3 cyl, i would bet it is same style liner sealing area. this is most likely your problem. this problem was so wierd cause usually, like Tom V said, a liner will transfer water in oil. my oil wasn't getting any water in it. just oil/milky water. machine been running great since i installed tha new piston/liner kits! gl.