Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3 questions 580 c shuttle and tachometer

Doug Brown ยท 2021-02-18 20:47

Putting the new engine in my 580 c does anyone know how to get the old tach drive out of my old engine? Next question What kind of oil goes in the shuttle transmission and is there a filter for the shuttle transmission? Thanks

Replies17
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2021-02-18 22:40

    The tach drive is a pain but you can rig up a puller just match threads with a plug or cap with a piece of all thread and a pipe. The shuttle takes hy-tran ultra or equivalent and there is no filter per say for the shuttle just a suction screen.

  2. #2Doug Brown2021-02-18 23:15

    Thanks. I guess I'll build a puller tomorrow.

  3. #3Tinkerer2021-02-19 08:46

    Drill the center out of sae threaded bolt. A piece of flat stock with a jack bolt on each side and the drilled out bolt in the center. I use all thread for jack bolts with a nut on the underside of flat stock is what worked for me.

  4. #4Dirttracker182021-02-19 13:12

    Are you certain about no filter? The 580 CK and the 580 B had a filter for the shuttle. It is located behind the grill on the left hand side. Lines go from the shuttle control valve up to the front where it is filtered and runs through a cooler. Did they change this on the the "c"?

  5. #5Tinkerer2021-02-19 13:30

    580C --- just a screen inside the oil pan.

  6. #6outlawspeeder2021-02-22 22:00

    I am in the beginning stages of rebuilding a shuttle drive. I'll let you know what is in my pan when I get there. Staying in line with this post, my tack stopped working. When I pulled the cable with it running I don't see any thing spinning.

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-02-22 22:15

    The drive usually has a fiber gear that is driven by the camshaft. They teeth on them wear completely off over time. I guess it is to protect the camshaft from being damaged.

  8. #8Larryv2021-02-22 23:03

    Sometimes the center hole wears out. Should be square to accept cable. If its worn, you are in for a nee drive. Takes a special tool and a slide hammer to remove. But since it's bad, find a fine threaded nut the size of the drive and force it on. You wont find a nut with that thread. It's super fine. Then get under the nut with couple of pry bars. It's a slip fit.

  9. #9Doug Brown2021-02-22 23:39

    I got the new motor In and running. The shuttle works great. I got the tach drive out also. I have a couple of rams that leaks like a $10.00 boat. I'll get them in the next couple weeks

  10. #10outlawspeeder2021-02-22 23:40

    Next question: where can you someone get a new tach gear?

  11. #11Doug Brown2021-02-22 23:43

    They are available through case with a big bill. I was quoted $300.00 that's why I tried harder to get my old one out

  12. #12Larryv2021-02-22 23:45

    Only from Case

  13. #13Doug Brown2021-02-22 23:48

    That's all I could find

  14. #14outlawspeeder2021-02-23 00:08

    Dam, Anyone have a blue print? Does it just pull/pry out? Is there a anything holding it in? Advice?

  15. #15Tinkerer2021-02-23 08:18

    $280.00 + tax from CNH. Agricultural equipment salvage yards sometimes have used ones. The last one I had a price quote on was $100.00 It is pressed in, a friction fit. Blueprint for the drive ? Quite a long time ago I posted pictures of the puller I made. I'll try to find them if it would help anyone. I don't think the camshaft can be removed unless that drive is pulled out of the block.

  16. #16outlawspeeder2021-02-23 15:49

    I have my own machine shop.

  17. #17Tinkerer2021-02-23 19:33

    This is the puller I made for a Case 301/336 block. An 3/4" SAE bolt was used. I don't know where the other jack bolt is.