I read several threads on people converting the old generators to Delco 10SI alternators. The discussion usually involves the wiring aspect, but I'm having trouble with the mounting part. I got a universal mounting bracket and had to cut off a portion of the lower bracket due to interference with the PS pump fill tube, but the 10SI alternator I got from autozone seems too large in diameter. It barely fits between the intake manifold and loader arm. Am I doing something wrong or do these 10SI alternators come in different sizes?
No, unless you got a 15si, which is a little larger in frame size. You can clock the si series alternators in four different positions to optimize the mounting bosses. Don’t pull the case apart when you do that or your brush springs will go warp-9 across the shop.
Thank for the tip, but re-clocking alternator doesn't seem like it will help. The alternator hits the intake manifold and loader arm before it can even get far back enough to go under the top bracket. Does anyone have any pics on how they mounted theirs up?
Go to case and c get mtg hardware for a 580B. I wouldn't use that alt. I would use a 1 wire delco. Wire from stud to a 40 amp circuit breaker. then to hot wire on starter.
I thought that alternator I got from Autozone (dl7127m) was a one wire Delco. Would you happen to know a part number that I can give to Autozone, O'Reilly, or Napa to cross reference?
The Napa Delco 10si one wire 63A is Part #: NNE 1N4011B. That’s with “all new parts”. They have a reman version, too.
It can be installed as a one wire. It depends on how it is done. There have been several detailed discussions in this forum as to how to do it. There is some confusion because there are three variations (that I know of) of how it can be wired. And sometimes they are all referred to as a one wire. Here is a link to the most recent detailed discussion. HeavyEquipmentForums