Here's picture of a 30 year old Cat D10 still working, at Anvik, Alaska. 37th one made. :usa S/N D10-84W037 .... 1978 .... 700hp Produced from '78-'86 Picture of a Cat D9L still working in Alaska ,Dalton Hwy job. Cat D9L produced from '80-'87 ....... 460 hp
Cat L Series and N Series Comparison Here's some Brochures explaining the differences in the L and N series.
L and N Undercarriage Okay, a little pix posting trouble, try again.
Alaskan D-10 Northart, Who owns the the D10 in the picture you posted? I believe that several of the first few produced ended up on the slope ripping frozen gravel in the winter? I know that S&G purchased one out of the Cat proving grounds in 1981 or 1982? Great pictures, Thanks for posting john
Oh Jeez.....I suddenly feel that much older!!! Just seems like yesterday when those things first rolled out!! 30 years?? Don`t the time just fly! Nice pics. Dave:
Cat D10 Hi John, Brice out of Fairbanks had it in Golovin 1988. And other jobs. Then went to a gold mining outfit in Livengood. Then this Nippo Corp. bought it for the Anvik job. So it's made the rounds of various owners. That is the history I know. Eastwind had one and that went to Osborne, I believe. I think MB had one at Northway on the Alaska Hwy job. Just what I know.
Cat L and N undercarriage Comparison of L and N undercarriage .
How many hours on it (total)?
Time ? Hello Bolt thrower, Sorry, I have no way of knowing. It's not my equipment. :beatsme
Northart, no big surprise she still runnin after 30 years, only Cats finest dozer ever!!!!!! i can remember having a day off school in 78 and going to the Cat dealer to see the first one in Australia.
Longevity Hello Gavin84W, Yes, the soundness of its design, solid,well built, construction, is a testimony to its durability and longevity. :usa Caterpillar older products are still surviving, after all, there competitiors have disappeared from the scene. Even Antique Caterpillar Machinery is highly sought after, even though it is obsolete. I'd love to have an old D10 sitting in my yard. LOL Be an awful expensive lawn ornament , when it can still be working , making money.
No thanks. I've put too many hours into the guts of 84W D10 tractors to ever want to see or use one again. They were just like a stubborn old mule, you had to beat then in the morning to get them to go to work, whip them all day long to keep them at work, then work on them all night so they'd do it again the next day. 14Y D9L's were the same way. The newer big Cats are far, far superior. I will say that a good running D10 was a fairly good ride and very powerful, much nicer than the D9L. Trouble was, they just wouldn't stay in reliable condition very long.
this old girl was the most reliable machine on the field be it pushin 51s or working the tip head. hot noisy rough but reliable.and its still making its way from job to job. be nice to be able to say the same about the new 11 we had. dont even start me on the 475
So who has one of the very, very first Hy-Drives ever produced?
Reliability ? Hi Surfer-Joe, Well, maybe you were not meant to be a muleskinner ?? LOL :drinkup Aside from the joke, look at the cost between the old and the new. Lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. No wonder contractors keep rebuilding them. Then the calendar days spent working per year. Or Hours worked per year. Usually lot of storage or dead time. Yet the payments still are due. Yes, I agree the new ones are superior, but the work has to be there also, for the contractor. Most work here is seasonal.
Good point. Some of my early experience with the 84W was in 1984 with low serial number models. They were running double shift in surface coal mines in eastern Kentucky six days a week. Didn't leave us or Whayne Supply much time to fix the derned things. We had continuous track problems, engine trouble, steering and brakes, hard bars, bottom rollers, you name it. Could a built another 10 with the spare and used parts we had on hand. I worked in a Cat house in 1980-81 in western Colorado and assisted factory engineers testing brake and steering clutch springs and then, later on, hydraulic pressures for the operation of the steering and brakes. I think I rebuilt every D10 final drive then in use on the western slope. I did a significant amount of work on Gilbert-Westerns D10 in the oil shale operations too. My last experience, D10 wise, was with 84W610, the next unit built after a serial number break update for these models. It was a b*****d machine having been equipped with newer or updated parts going on 610-up and older leftover stuff from 609-down. Had to have two parts books you see, plus every parts and service bulletin and fiche that Cat had concerning D10's. I spent well over two hundred fifty thousand dollars in parts on this machine in three years on the uranium job in Colorado. It was in pretty good shape when I left though. I thought when I left Colorado in 93 that I had seen the last of it, but no, in 95 when I hired back in the company, they sent me up to Beatty, Nevada and guess what was waiting for me there? It hadn't gotten any better with age and I fought it for about two months. Then the engine failed and it was hauled off to Missoula, MT. I nearly got it back in early 96 at Kennecott Copper in Salt Lake City but a road job in eastern Montana got it first. We had to push our 631E's with a lowly D10N there at Kennecott. THANK GOODNESS! Most of the 10's I was ever around worked double shift or more and were worked hard. They racked hours up fast. Parts were sometimes a problem as Cat was changing stuff so fast some dealers wouldn't stock much for them as by the time the part was on the shelf, it was already obsolete or updated. Cat is pretty proud of the D10 however. The first 76W ever put into production has been rebuilt and is on display in Peoria at the factory.
Maintenance Nightmares ? Hi Surfer-Joe, Wow ! Never heard such tales of woe. :drinkup Hhmmn, good thing I'm not a mechanic, to learn about all this stuff.:drinkup I just happened to have run that D10 for Brice, long ago, then it showed up at the Anvik job. Always was, and still is, a good Cat. They had put a newer ? engine in it with a prelube system. I always thought the N series were dogs , under powered. I always liked the L series dozers , plenty of power. Same with the R series. The Cat D8R with full U dozer and Ripper , I thought was the sweetest Cat I ever run. Well balanced and power to match. Ran a brand new D8T , it had some electronic glitches. Software troubles. Just wonder how that is going to fare in the market place, over the long term. Yes, I came across a D8 mongrel once, parts from everywhere. Even the mechanics shied away from that one.
D10 Some pics of our largest dozer...
Wow thats some stove pipe on that dozer above. Weren't the D10L the only ones with twin stacks? We had one I don't think it was much trouble, but it was a HOT SOB.
Biggest dozer Hello 385cJR. You must take some more pics of that dozer at daytime. The history of this d10 from 1980 is: (correct me if there is something wrong 385cJR.) It was bought to a job in Italy but the goverment suspected the mafia too have an intrest in the machine an arrested many machines from the same job. For 15 years it only had run for 800 hours. In 1995 Jr in Norway bought it because of the large construction of the capitol airport of Norway.(Gardermoen) It was running good for about a year until it had an oil leak ¨that caused a fire to the hydraulic system and engine. Restored for big bucks it has been running great since. Been all over Norway on roads,airports,gasconstruction sites. And there is only one BIG stove pipe on it. Huge that is Ps: love your signature man:drinkup
Biggest dozer Yes Rockbreaker, so right so right. I have run it fore some months myselfe, and it's so cool. When you have full push, it's amazing to run. I'll take some mor pics at daytime. Rockbreaker, do you have some pics of your equipment at work? :cool2
You are right. I was unlucky and got caught in the clay at the filling with a A35 at Gardermoen. Last round on a friday afternoon. That D10 helped me out monday morning. But when backing and pulling on the corner of the dumpbody on the A35, he had to add som diesel... 385C JR can you share some pics of the 245 with that "smal" bucket loading in the sandhole at Gardermoen?(there might not be some?) You maybe drove that one? That was a rather special operation, won't forget all the black smoke from the 245 handling that bucket and loading the trucks. There is also a story about that D10, no permit for transport....a roadweight showed something big getting moved in the dark.......
Hello MKTEF... Sorry, but i have no pics off the 245D. A hell off a bucket on that one. Thats the first excavator I started my loadingcareer with. I think it was in '96 I took over that machine in the sandhole at Gardermoen. After that the 245 went to Greenland and get a totally wreck. Man I loved that machine. :notworthy:notworthy I can try to digg up some fhotos on the office.
Reply 385c JR Yea i will try to get some great pics for you and include the relax sone too. Big place you now
I'm looking forward to the pics from your working area. I wondering about the viwe from your chair... :bash
I dont think that the twin stack D10 was ever called the D10L. The single stack was the first production models with the D348 V12 similar to the original 777 and i think 992B. The twin stack came along after. We didnt have many original D10's here in the UK the first went i believe to Stokey a ripping and muckshifting contractor and the next was at Masson edge flourspar quarry in Matlock Derbyshire and had early hour engine failure if i remember correctly. From recollection only 4 made it to the UK. I think there is only the same number of D11's here. We dont have the big coal sites and mines that warrant a large tractor. D10N,R,T are a fairly common tractor here. If any of the above is incorrect please correct me the memory is not what it used to be.
As I recall, 76X D10's had the large single stack, which obscured forward vision. The twin stacks came along with the 84W models. There may have been some blurring at serial number change time, there often is with Cat.
76X was the narrow gauge tractor really suited to the C blade and for pushin scoops, never ever heard of any in Australia, they were 84W from day one. Twin stack came about due to heat issues from the original arrangement with both turbo's at the rear of the engine.
cat d9 very cool.
Shouldn't that arrow from the D8K to the D8N be pointing down instead of up? Thanks for the interesting thread, NorthArt.
nice pics
Nice picks. 30 years young!