I'm not a mechanic! But I will get dirty! I have a JD 300D backhoe. It was my dads. Here's the problem. It wont move. It starts fine and all hydraulics work fine. When I try to move it, it acts like the e-brake is on. Had someone look at the electrical but found nothing wrong. I made some other calls and someone told a friend for me to check trans oil right in front of the windshield. It was low added hydraulic fluid and wa la! It moves!!! It runs fine for a few minutes then it throws the oil out the dip stick on the floor board of the cab. Where should I start. I really can't take it to a mechanic because it is out in the country. Over two hours to a John Deere dealer. Don't think I could afford it either. My dad passed and can't ask him any questions. I don't know if it has the right fluid in it or if that could cause these issues. Any help would be very appreciated.
Sounds like your machine has a reverser and a transmission. your problem is probably in the reverser. you might have added too much oil if its spewing out the dipstick tube. Check the level with the engine running. Learn the reverser's electrical controls and check them out for yourself, not relying on somebody else's non finding. If that person really knew what to look for, he would have told you all these next steps listed: Look into the parts diagram for your machine if you don't have a manual. See if there is a small oil pan on the reverser. there is probably a strainer in there that yu can check and clean pretty easily. If its clogged, you might get some functionality by simply cleaning it. Then you can check reverser pressures to see if the internal pump and valves are operating properly. If the strainer, oil, pump and valves all check out and the BH still doesn't move, you have a reverser in need of new friction plates. Or a bad torque converter... Wear debris from destroyed friction plates will clog the strainer, see above
Thank you for the pointers. I will look into those. I'll start with the stainer. I'll look for debris. Thank you so much!
Shootstr8, check the reverser vent. A plugged vent will push oil out of the reverser dipstick. The vent will either be on top of the reverser housing or built into the dipstick. There are 3 different serial number breaks for the reverser in your 300D. We are talking about the oil shooting out of the reverser, correct? Not the transaxle? The dipstick for the transaxle is under the floor board.