Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3054 engine 914g/IT14G Cat

IFSL · 2010-11-14 21:08

I have an 01 IT14G wheel loader. It has appox 13,000 and change on it. I just bought this machine used. It ran out good in the yard I got it from had power to dig and would spin the tires. I get it home ( wide open space now) and I am not getting the top speeds out of it that I should be. This has that 2 speed hydrostat in it. Low should be about 7 mph and high about 20-22mph I am getting about 5 mph out of low and 10-11 out of high. When i go up an incline I lose ground speed. I talked to my cat dealer and they said it would be alot of different things but with an engine of those hours it could be a tired engine/lower horsepower output. Is there a way I can turn up engine power to get me through the winter?( Snowremoval season) Something I can do to turn up the hydro system pressure to make it grab to the engine better? I would love any ideas. Thanks Danny

Replies32
  1. #1Lee-online2010-11-14 22:02

    There are many things that could be a problem. Is the parking brake being totally released, is the drum hot after running it? how does the engine run, sound and does it smoke? Service recently? Replacing the powertrain filters and then cutting open the old one to inspect them can tell you alot. Any codes? After this i would be checking pressures. btw, what is the serial number?

  2. #2IFSL2010-11-15 08:48

    brake is released/drum is not hot, engine runs good starts right up even in cold temps/no smoke , All new filters 2 days ago, no codes that I know of (this is first computerized loader) how do i check this, im assuming it would be beeping at me or something. Loader serial #1wn01566 I will have to get the engine serial

  3. #3IFSL2010-11-15 14:08

    I spent some more time looking things over this morning and I still have no ideas. although it is more sluggish/hesitates to move when cold once warmed up it runs the way it has been about half ground speed. It was about 20 degrees when i got up this morning and the engine fired right up. At this point I would lean more to a trans issue... How do I test it and where do I get the gauges to test it. Thanks Danny

  4. #4Per Eriksson2010-11-15 16:37

    You should reach 2340 rpm at high idle and if you stall it isn't allowed to drop more than 40rpm, put it against something solid on a firm surface and floor it..... Gauges and connectors does most likely any well stocked hydraulic hose/coupling store have.

  5. #5Jam2010-11-15 16:38

    Hows it going? Just food for thought but i had this problem with a jcb 411 with a saurer danfoss hydrostatic system. It turn out to be a problem with the pumps swash plate angle adjusting piston. The motors swash plate was working away so with that and the engine speed increase i still had a limited travel speed range

  6. #6Dutch Cat-King2010-11-15 16:57

    is the air-fuel ratio control ok? Could be the problem of low power.

  7. #7Diagonal Brace2010-11-15 20:40

    Stall test definitely. Does engine have much blow by?

  8. #8IFSL2010-11-16 07:52

    I was messing around with it last night and for some reason the valve in the picture was bothering me.. I did not know what it did. ( still dont) so I gave it the quarter turn that was allowed.. and now the loader runs out the speed and power it should? How is this possible. What does this valve do I really dont want to over load a bypass valve or something. Any one know what this thing does and why my machine runs the way it is suppose to when I have it turned?

  9. #9Per Eriksson2010-11-16 13:48

    When you brake it puts the drive system in slow mode basically and that valve is used to block that signal from being drained to the tank when braking while performing tests on the machine. Your fault is therefore most likely in the brake valve, there's a plug at the opposite end from where the pedal pushes on the valve that can be removed and then you get a spring and the spool that drains the signal pressure to tank, check if the spring is intact and that the spool moves easy.

  10. #10IFSL2010-11-16 14:15

    It is safe to use until I get the Repair done though? ( I will have time in a day or so to check it over)

  11. #11Per Eriksson2010-11-16 14:40

    No problems.

  12. #12nickbonesteel2011-01-05 16:51

    i have problime that migh fall along these lines. this IT14G serial # 7bj30514 will run ok for a while then start to slow down and some times come to a stop. the engine does not stop running and never loses power and some time it happens sonner than later. The fuel filters have been changed every time it comes in for this problime there is also a light in the fuse box that flashes once then 9 times fast a then stays on is this a blink code? hydroulic filters have been changed less than 100 hours ago. one more thing the forword and reverse selector doesnt always work u have to flip it back and forth intill the machine wants to start moving

  13. #13AmerIndependent2011-01-05 17:59

    This is a hydrostatic drive system that uses pumps and hydraulic motors. The fact that it begins to act up when it reaches operating temperature indicates a pressure loss since the oil thins as it warms. Whatever you do don’t start throwing parts at this thing! Have a professional troubleshoot it to determine the source and you’ll find his cost was well worth the money.

  14. #14sultan2011-01-05 18:04

    Have you checked the screens in the various banjo fittings in the fuel system? Those screens can clog sometimes, causing such problems. Have you been draining sediment from the tank every now and then? As for the forward/reverse thing, it can be many things. I've found that in some cat loaders with electronic transmission control, you have to push the FNR switch/stick fully to the end to ensure it gets into gear. It may be such a problem, but it doesn't seem to be that from your description. The mechanics on this forum may be able to better help you there.

  15. #15nickbonesteel2011-01-06 16:51

    thanx for all the help guys the decision was made to send it to cat after almost a year of this goin on same old thing no one wants to spend money we just dont have the tools for this kiind of diag

  16. #16hougie2011-01-20 19:04

    I've got a 98 914G, where exactly is the part you speak of?

  17. #17Per Eriksson2011-01-21 15:23

    The shutoff valve is located behind the cab on the right side by the hydraulic tank and the brake valve is mounted under the cab floor.

  18. #18andtre2011-10-03 03:38

    First i am sorry for any mistakes ( i am from Europe - Slovenia ). I've also have a problem with CAT 914g ID:7ZM00189. When i starts all is good, when it reaches working temp. it loses power on drive system, when really hot it comes to a stop. It never owerheats. All is good with working hydraulic. We have repaired both hydropumps, not a thing has changed. There is just a minor leakage on hydromotor (valve that moves machine forth and back). Please help me solve this issue, we have already throw many money on it and nothing is better.

  19. #19Dutch Cat-King2011-10-03 13:02

    Seems the hydromotor leaks intern, measure the case drain liters and pressure. Too much pressure means leakage off the motor.

  20. #20andtre2011-12-20 09:07

    Dutch Cat-King thank you for your information. We've checked hydromotor and all is fine. We also replaced ( back and forth )valve on it and nothing. It is cold now here and when we started it it runs great but when it reached working temperature machine stopped. If there is someone with the same problem please respond to me. Maybe electric problem or if it has any unknown valves that are cousing problems... As i wrote in my last post we already checked hydropump, charge pump, hydromotor... Thank you for your time

  21. #21Per Eriksson2011-12-22 14:54

    measure charge and signal pressure while cold and when this is happening. Does it run good and then all of a sudden it stops both forward and reverse or is a gradual decline in performance?

  22. #22andtre2011-12-24 02:50

    Both pressures were measured, all was fine. It looses power with temperature increase. When it reaches working temp it stops. There is one more thing... Local CAT mechanic has put one of hoses on hydromotor directly into hyd reservoir. He said that oil should stop running when you put it in drive position, but he one who tested hydromotor said that it has nothing to do with that and when he put hose out it lost signal power. I am only sure of one thing, when he put hose in reservoir, machine didn't work even in cold. Thank you and Merry Christmas to all of you that are trying to make this world a better place to live.

  23. #23garp2011-12-27 18:13

    that valve is the "dead engine lowering" valve. allows oil from raised loader arms to be used for pilot oil if the engine dies. if this ispartially open, pilot oil is wasted and you wont get full signal pressures to the pump.

  24. #24DaleDLC2020-01-10 14:18

    Hello, new member. Do I start here or start a new post elsewhere? Question- How do I remove creep-mode installed in this machine, and convert back to standard speed so as to have 35kmph (22mph) for Roading? I just purchased a 1997 IT14G s/n 8ZM00191, with 20k hrs, 10 hrs on new rebuilt engine. Hyds and rest of the machine works well. I was informed that the machine had 2 speeds. Upon delivery I realized it was 2 speeds alright but 1st gear was creep-mode 0-6 mph, and 2nd gear from 6-12mph. Upon visiting with Cat shops/personnel, they tell me this machine is equipped with standard equipment specs for 35kmph but with creep mode installed, top speed is 20kmph. You can not have creep-mode and high speed at the same time so they say.. Per scattered documents, it appears hyd lines and wiring are in the machine. I have opened the machine up extensively to gain accessibility so if someone can help with this issue, I would appreciate greatly your assistance.

  25. #25Nige2020-01-11 05:33

    See the illustration below. Look on the right side of the machine under the cab. Can you locate Item #6 which is the transmission control box.? If I look under your Serial Number this item does not appear in the parts listing. If I just look under 8ZM-prefix that includes both low & high-speed machines it appears. From the electrical schematic it appears as though this control is standard for a "high-speed" machine. The following note appears - "NOTE C: STANDARD PLUG ASSEMBLIES SHOWN. SEE LOCATION H-8 FOR TRANSMISSION CONTROL, WHICH IS STANDARD FOR HIGH SPEED AND ATTACHMENT FOR STANDARD"

  26. #26Nige2020-01-11 05:42

    It also appears as though the original creeper switch has to be removed and a "shift handle" (Ref. #3) installed. Again according to the schematic the machine must be equipped with a "creeper switch or a shift handle, never both"

  27. #27mikebramel2020-01-13 23:31

    I'd compare the pilot pressure going to the pump servo ... is it lower or the same And cap off the pilot line shifting the motors displacement Might give you some clues to what you have... Do you have pictures of the pump and motor

  28. #28DaleDLC2020-01-14 20:30
  29. #29Kalebwhite822024-02-22 12:54

    Hi Dale, we have the same issue. Were you able to do the conversion your self? Or does it need to be done by cat?

  30. #30Per Eriksson2024-03-03 03:09

    What's your serial? Basically a high speed machine has 2 motors and a low speed 1 motor. Dave's machine was a 1 motor setup ex factory and thus a low speed machine with creeper speed.

  31. #31Kalebwhite822024-03-03 04:18

    8zm00333, ours is also a single motor with creeper function. Max speed is 13 mph. Its also very slugish climbing a hill. Cat mechanic has been out three times, all pressures are with in spec.

  32. #32Per Eriksson2024-03-03 09:47

    Yep, that's a "low" speed machine also. Do you know if max engine speed was checked also? Qften that's overlooked but it makes a world of difference if the engine is missing a couple 100 rpms on top and the throttle cable tends to stretch over time. Spec is 2350rpm.