Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trojan 124

pinesd3400 ยท 2010-11-13 06:22

At my age I am embarest for some info. A 124 Trojan 6 cyl International thats just about done. Unbelieveable I found another one. And yes I have all the books. No mention as how to remove this engine. There is no mention as how the flywheel and converter is mounted. I do not want to pull the engine and find out I need a converter seal (like a car) . Usually like a car the converter is unbolted from the flex plate. The identical engine I bought UB264 (came from a roller) has a female gear bolted to the flywheel. So if this is the case, maybe my converter has a male gear to mate with the flywheel. Another thing I dont understand is, the bell housing being round about 4" deep with a plug on the top to add trans fluild?? Book says add fluid (there housing) till it drips out of a spigot on the drop box? How come tranny fluid doesnt come out of the starter. Im not afraid to tackle anything but, not comming into snow season. If I do this and mess up some seal in there im done. I now get about 3hrs out of a set of spark plugs. There has to be someone who replaced engines in these. Also in the book they used IH264 gas IH 6 diesel and 4-53 Detroit thanks sam

Replies10
  1. #1oldseabee2010-11-13 07:40

    Not sure how your machine is set up but if the converter is bolted to the flywheel there should be and access plate on the front of the bell housing opposite of the starter to get at the bolts, or you have to take the starter out to access. If you take out 4 of the converter mounting bolts and replace them with four long bolts then remove the rest of the bolts, you should be able to slide the converter back far enough to see the mounting if it is a gear, converter should just slide back easily, if it is a sealed converter there may be pry slots or threaded holes to use to break the seal normally it would just be an Oring. What brand converter is it? Most Clark converters have a gear that meshes with a gear on the flywheel. Generally manufacturers will use the same hook up on the same engine for commonality of parts.

  2. #2pinesd34002010-11-14 04:03

    thanks there are no access plates, and I never thought to look in the starter hole. sam

  3. #3oldseabee2010-11-14 09:15

    If you can't see much through the starter hole use a flashlight and small inspection mirror to see the back side of the flywheel.

  4. #4tlamica082011-03-31 20:04

    Dont be embarrassed for the info,...I was in the same boat you are now! I have the identical loader to yours. On the Bellhousing there is 2 plugs on the exhaust side of the motor. the one on the left (smaller of the two) is the one you would take out and add Automatic trans fluid,...it looks close to the other hole but there actually two different areas. the smaller one on the left is sealed only to the tourque converter and the one on the right is more or less an inspection hole for the flywheel area. To seperate I used a ratchet strap, wrapped around the underneath of the torque converter area and strapped it to the battery holder box,..its really not entirely heavy. Next you take all of the bolts out from around the big round part (Torque converter housing)...be sure only the ones on the immediate round part not the ones that are about 2 inches back recessed into the housing.Next take out the bolts for your motor mounts 2 on each side and one mount in the rear. Now you should be able to seperate very easily, and you will see that there is a male and female gear that mess together. there is no seals as long as if you do not take the converter out of its housing. I had my motor all out of my loader in about 3 1/2 hrs,...longest part was taking off the body panels over top.

  5. #5tlamica082011-03-31 20:08

    My loader was also fouling plugs,..i ended up putting the next size hotter plug into it and it would run for months without fouling one again.

  6. #6pinesd34002011-04-01 04:36

    Thanks thats the info Ive been looking for. The engine I bought has a female gear bolted to the flywheel, that makes life easy cause I dont want to mess with the converter. Sam

  7. #7red star2011-04-04 14:05

    anybody out ther have any experiance with steering problems on a old trojan rear steer machine nedd advise

  8. #8petewary2012-01-08 19:28

    Anyone in the market for an excellent running International 6 from a 1 ton truck ?Bought it for my Trojan 124 but I've decided not to fix the loader.Northern NY [email protected]

  9. #9bknudson2012-01-24 10:07

    Anyone know of a 124A junked out? I need a rear axle shaft, short outer one.

  10. #10BoatJoe25722012-02-29 21:19

    Hello im a new menber and just aquired a trojan 124 1960 loader have a few questions and may need that motor is it exactly the same from a truck? would like to chat Thanks, Joe