Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Boom Pistons weak

ottawamerc ยท 2008-10-15 08:03

Hi guys My 580se has been getting weaker it seems on the boom pistons, when I'm trying to dig out the dirt pile that I'm working in the boom will occasionlly not lift a full bucket? I need to use the dipper to pull it in closer then try to lift again or reduce the load in the bucket. I was wondering if one of the pistons might be bypassing? I had a swing cylinder problem before (check prior posts) that turned up being a piston seal. Is there some way to diagnose if it is the pistons and even which one? Thanks in advance Ottawa

Replies1
  1. #1cps2008-10-15 14:24

    HI ottawamerc It sounds to me like its by-passing alrite, one way to check is take off the top hose (the one that powers the ram down) and power the ram up, if a fair amount of oil comes out of the top of the ram your seals gone!! you might also need to blank off the hose that you take off to save oil spills! Hope this helps let me know how it goes.