Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

310C Hydraulic Pump

FergusonFarmer ยท 2021-01-19 09:21

If the hydraulic pump locks up on a 310C will it cause a no start. Dad was using it last week an he said it just shut off and wouldn't start. Will not crank! I'm just trying to think of what could cause this issue. Everything comes on when you turn the key .Cab backhoe if that makes any difference. Just will not crank. The started is six months old and battery is about a month old. I checked all the fuses, the only one I found bad was the horn. What am I missing? Thanks Andy

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2021-01-19 11:17

    How did you make the jump from the engine shutting off, and not cranking, all the way to the hydraulic pump locking up? Does the starter make any noise when you try to crank it? Have you checked voltage at the starter? use test leads on the big starter terminal, then the small terminal on the solenoid and a test lead long enough to reach the cab so you can see the voltage while trying the key. If the engine won't turn even though the starter tries to turn, see if the engine will turn by hand by grabbing the fan and belt. check the oil level, coolant level.

  2. #2hosspuller2021-01-19 20:56

    Delmer has a valid question... Although the hydraulic pump is direct coupled to the engine crank shaft.

  3. #3FergusonFarmer2021-01-21 06:01

    Delmer I have tried turning the fan by hand, it wont move. The oil an coolant level is full. The starter makes a humming sound. Didn't have voltage meter with me ,but it sounds like its getting plenty. I think I have it narrowed down to the hydraulic pump or the injection pump.

  4. #4Delmer2021-01-21 10:45

    The injection pump would shear off if the engine was running and it locked up. Of course it could be the hydraulic pump locked up, but that's still not the first thing I'd check. Check the voltage. Pull the starter and see if the engine will turn that way. Not that hard to disconnect the hydraulic pump enough to see if the engine will turn, either. You can maybe even leave the hoses connected, and move it enough to turn the engine separate. let us know what you find.

  5. #5stinky642021-01-22 13:57

    Maybe a long shot ,but did you try relieving hydraulic pressure at all levers then trying to turn over? Maybe some sort of bypass valve issue..