Anyone taken off a hydraulic pump off of one of these? Mine is a Sunstrand, and has 2 caps screws that seem like they are on with a million ft lb of torque. I need to take the pump off to replace a leaking shaft seal. I have applied heat, my Milwaulkee impact wont touch these bolts. My next move is putting a pipe on a bar and using brute force. I am afraid of snapping those bolts with that method. Any help would be appreciated.
A 2lb hammer is your friend if you can hit the heads squarely. Give each one at least four good hits. It sometimes helps to apply some tightening force and then try to loosen them. I have never seen this method fail.
I got them. Had to apply more heat than I ever had before. Amazing those 12mm bolts survived. I will replace them when I put the pump back on.
I usually go with smacking the heads before I get out the heat, glad to hear you got em' off
Glad you got them off. I have always been reluctant to use heat because it expands a cap screw. If it is a nut and bolt, yes, lots of heat.
I'm curious if you noticed the remnants of red Loctite on the threads when you got the screws out. That would explain why it took so much heat.
And usually you can tell if there was Loc-Tite used just by the smell especially when it is hot!
Funny thing, no Loctite, they were just seized. There was Loctite red on the bolts holding the shaft to the Lovejoy. I didn't heat the fasteners directly, I just heated the crap of the blind hole they resided in. Had a hose ready just in case.