Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

310K hydraulics

Jake8474 · 2025-02-05 21:47

Hello all, I just purchased this 310k backhoe and have put probably 40 hours on it. Like the machine a lot. Today a different operator got in it and thought the hydraulics are slow or sluggish. I never really thought this but I did notice there is a little resistance in the power steering when the machine is at idle and turning the wheel. I believe the machine is fine but was just wondering if there are any tests or ways to make sure the machine is fine? and doesn’t have a hydraulic issue or pump going out. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-02-05 22:27

    If you just bought it, change the hydraulic filter, this cold is tough on hydraulic fluid. Might want to do a whole fluid change including fuel, also.

  2. #2Jake84742025-02-06 12:10

    did fuel filters and hydraulic. Still same thing. Is there any screens in the hydraulic system on these? Power steering definitely stiff at idle but still turns. Guy running said had to rev up a lot to be able to lift full bucket of salt

  3. #3mg23612025-02-07 05:08

    Machine's complete serial number? Cut open the hydraulic filter and inspect. Anything inside? If clean, then cycle times need to be checked as well as pressures. See here on how to properly inspect the filter.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-02-07 07:07

    Possible water in the hydraulic oil?

  5. #5Jake84742025-02-07 09:02

    Attached is the machines serial number. Hydraulic oil is clean don’t see any water in it. Machine is approaching 7000 hours. So I am starting to believe the hydraulic pump getting weak is a possibility. I was under the machine yesterday and the hydraulic pump was damp and had some “seeping”. How do I test pressure?

  6. #6Jake84742025-02-07 09:53
  7. #7mg23612025-02-07 12:09

    Please cut the filter open like I asked and inspect. If you want to perform pressure tests I suggest you get yourself the Operation and test manual TM12435. Check your messages.

  8. #8Jake84742025-02-07 17:34

    Cut apart filter and did as video showed. Few metal shavings here and there. Nothing excessive. Could the pump still be bad with few metal shavings

  9. #9Jake84742025-02-07 20:04

    Also was just under the 310 I noticed a very slight whine coming from the pump at idle. But assume that’s just normal pump sound

  10. #10mg23612025-02-08 06:29

    Pictures of the metal? Perform the pressure tests I sent you.