Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3126A fuel in coolant.

Louman · 2024-10-09 16:12

I have a 97 Pete 330 with a 3126A. Engine serial 1WM04540. It's got fuel in the coolant pointing to needing injector cups. This truck has had the head gone through, and reman injectors in it 5 years ago. not a lot of time on it since I am just realizing this truck has the older copper style cups, which I know are a pain and sometimes impossible without head removal. This truck definitely has more clearance than most. Im trying to avoid pulling the head off again if possible. SO my question is: If I can get my hands on the injector seating tool ( 173-1530 ) Is it worth attempting to seat the injectors or am I dreaming? Is it a sure thing that a cup is cracked?

Replies8
  1. #1Truck Shop2024-10-09 18:23

    In a situation like this----remove the head.

  2. #2Truck Shop2024-10-19 20:39

    Sorry OP--my advise is totally incorrect on your engine, Crane Operator will be better at advising you on your issues.

  3. #3Louman2024-10-21 13:02

    We are doing the job without removing the head. We were able to pull all the cups, and get it cleaned up. Just need to pick the cups up and install!

  4. #4Mobiltech2024-10-21 17:52

    Does this one have the brass cups. If so you need special tooling to spread the cup after installing. It’s a roller tool that slowly kneads the cup into the groove in the head.

  5. #5Louman2024-10-22 08:17

    Yes it does. I was able to buy a nice used cat tool set. I found the injector seating tool as well. Should I be using sleeve retaining compound on them?

  6. #6Mobiltech2024-10-22 09:48

    I would have to look it up but I don’t think it calls for any. I guess if you did use some it really wouldn’t hurt. Might be harder to remove next time though. I think you turn the roller tool until it takes 81 inch pounds of torque.

  7. #7Nige2024-10-22 09:56

    You may find the attached useful.

  8. #8Louman2024-10-22 10:45

    Thank you, that is very helpful.