Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

60 Series Detroit dies then won’t restart

TheNDFarmer · 2024-10-04 01:34

I have a 12.7 Detroit in a 95 Volvo truck and recently it developed a habit of shutting down on me. It starts and runs great for a while then it will develop an intermittent misfire, once every 5-10 seconds, then it will just shut down like you turned the switch off. It won't restart for at least 30-45 minutes, it will then start and run fine for a little bit (though not as long as the first start of the day) then it will do it all over again. No check engine or stop engine lights, and no codes when running the diagnostic function on the dash. I checked the fuel lines for a possible air leak and filled the tanks full of fuel to eliminate a suction tube as a problem. I suspect its an electrical problem, I have cleaned all major power connections on the side of the engine and at the batteries. Fuses for the power to the ecm look good, no corrosion there and the fuses fit well in the fuse holder. I also have replaced the relays in the dash that deal with anything with the engine in the off chance they were acting up. I am hoping someone has ran into this problem and can steer me in the right direction for diagnosing my issue, rather than just starting to throw parts at it.

Replies30
  1. #1Truck Shop2024-10-04 08:53

    ECM connections & or ECM it's self. Heat is affecting it, not uncommon on old Series 60 ECM's I've had and seen this same issue before. And no real way to bench test for reoccurrence either. It ends up a replace and fingers crossed.

  2. #2crane operator2024-10-04 09:23

    We had similar symptoms to yours on a 60 series, that ended up being a wiring issue. Wiring ran from ecm to front of engine for cam or crank position sensor. Had a bad spot on wire where it went behind air compressor. Looked good on both sides of compressor with good loom, bad where you couldn't see it. Truck would run all day long at the shop. Put it on the road and it was a coin toss if you would get there. Vibration of the motor and bouncing down the road would make the worn spot hit, usually if you left it sit you could come back and it would fire right up. We beat our heads against it for a couple weeks, and I gave up and sent it to a shop. I paid for 8 hours of diagnostic and $6.50 of wire. Good luck!

  3. #3Truck Shop2024-10-04 09:33

    And that can happen but normally it has nothing to do with time frame restarting.

  4. #4TheNDFarmer2024-10-05 01:10

    Looks like I will check all the connections at the ECM, and if that doesn't do it, do you think an ice bath on the ECM (the DDEC IV application and installation manual says steam cleaning and pressure washing is safe as long as care is taken to not spray the connections) would be a decent way of confirming if that is the problem? Thanks for the input, the ECM was not a direction I was going to go yet, not a repair bill I was wanting to pay for, but at this point I am needing the truck soon so I guess it will be on the top of the list of things to check now.

  5. #5Cliffy2024-10-05 05:02

    I would be checking the fuel tank breather. When it cuts out, open the fuel tank cap and see if it has a vacuum.

  6. #6crane operator2024-10-05 08:21

    If you think its ecm, some shops have a known good ecm that they use for testing purposes. There are also guys that specialize in ecm repair, you can find them through google/ebay. Its far cheaper than a new ecm. I've not had a detroit ecm repaired, but I have had a cummins repaired.

  7. #7Truck Shop2024-10-05 08:47

    Is it used for off road? Biggest issue with wiring harness is dirt in harness & vibration, acts like sand paper on insulation, Cliffy's fuel vent idea also dirt related. Check the injector harness from ecm to back of cylinder head for excessive oil in loom, those injector harnesses do go bad with oil invasion.

  8. #8Mobiltech2024-10-05 09:16

    I had a 60 series one time that we had installed a reman injector in place of one that hat a broken spring. After the injector replacement the engine wouldn’t start. After some troubleshooting we found it would start only if you disconnected the wires to the reman injector. We had to get another one to get it going. This makes me think maybe when it does quit and won’t restart for 30 minutes try disconnecting each injector one at a time to see if it starts then. My other guess would be the ecm getting weak. Changed lots of cat ecm’s for that same reason.

  9. #9Truck Shop2024-10-05 09:28

    In order to test--need it to die--and immediately change ecm while engine is still hot, and that never takes place.

  10. #10funwithfuel2024-10-05 10:54

    Recently had a D16 Volvo injector do that to me. It passed every test I threw at it. Customer complained of low power for months until finally, the coil for spill valve errored out as short circuit. Swapped with new, Badda Bing, Badda Boom, everything was as it should be. The guys happy again but took a long time getting there.

  11. #11funwithfuel2024-10-05 11:04

    I remember the DDEC I & II the oil would fill the harness all the way back to the ECM and the wick between the terminals to fill up the ECM. Ash, the good ol days

  12. #12Truck Shop2024-10-05 13:48

    III's & IV's will do the same, if it's a 60 it has that chance

  13. #13Vetech632024-10-05 15:37

    I don't know squat about Detroit's.

  14. #14Truck Shop2024-10-05 17:03

    Well that's two of us because I just repeat what you've said.

  15. #15Vetech632024-10-06 07:40

    Thats a good way to end up on someone's hit list lol

  16. #16funwithfuel2024-10-06 07:42

    I fixed it for you, you're welcome.

  17. #17Vetech632024-10-06 07:44

    Following you gets one in cyber jail LOL

  18. #18Truck Shop2024-10-06 07:48

    What like that's news-- I'm already on everyone's **** list--most hated guy on HEF, And all because I follow no one anywhere anytime.

  19. #19funwithfuel2024-10-06 07:49

    Not true bud. Mad respect for ya.

  20. #20Vetech632024-10-06 07:51

    I was taught to love, even my most disturbed friends. You can count on me! I will never abandon you.

  21. #21Truck Shop2024-10-06 07:57

    pew

  22. #22Truck Shop2024-10-06 08:14

    Sunday at 5:12 am, and received the first Haha of the day, on hef it's all about the Haha's.

  23. #23funwithfuel2024-10-06 08:15

    Fixed it.

  24. #24funwithfuel2024-10-06 08:17

    TS has the reform school kids following him. BWAHAHA

  25. #25Truck Shop2024-10-06 08:18

    I'm going to go install some liners FWF.

  26. #26funwithfuel2024-10-06 08:19

    That's too much effort on a Sunday morning.

  27. #27Truck Shop2024-10-06 08:21

    No ones there, no phones, no interruptions just the shop spider to talk to.

  28. #28funwithfuel2024-10-06 08:24

    My apologies to OP, getting back on task. I think, could be wrong, but I think there were a pair of fuses that each fed a bank of 3 injectors. If memory serves, you loose or compromise the power coming through those, you'd have all manner of goofy complaints. But I think they would generate errors.

  29. #29funwithfuel2024-10-06 08:39

    Time for peace, i get it.

  30. #30Truck Shop2024-10-06 16:04

    early I's & II's IIRC.